Taylor Chisels

Old March 27th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.carving

Default Taylor Chisels

Hello,
I hope I am not shooting myself in the foot with this post, but I am looking
at buying a used set of Henry Taylor chisels on Ebay. Here is a link to the
auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-HENRY-TAYLOR-C...QQcmdZViewItem .
I am wondering what might be a reasonable amount to bid for this set?

Joseph

Old March 31st 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.carving

"Joseph Handy" wrote in
:

Hello,
I hope I am not shooting myself in the foot with this post, but I am
looking at buying a used set of Henry Taylor chisels on Ebay. Here is
a link to the auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-HENRY-TAYLOR-CHISELS-2-

OTHERS_W0QQitemZ8271857256
QQcategoryZ3126QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt em . I am wondering
what might be a reasonable amount to bid for this set?

Joseph

Joseph, I personally wouldn't pay any more than the starting price for
these chisels.(G)
The condition of these tools "looks" very poor from the pictures, but
eBay pictures don't always tell the true story.
There is another set of Taylor carving chisels on eBay at;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...270740816&rd=1
&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
They are at $192.00 US at the moment, if I were bidding on them I might
go as high as about $15.00 per chisel or $250.00US since there are 17
chisels/gouges.
Now having said that I will confess to be a Taylor addict as far as
carving tools are concerned...gee I think at last count there are 86 of
them all on my bench, mostly purchased new through Lee Valley, with
another 20 or so purchased off eBay, all older models.
New prices for Taylors go for about $30.00 + each in Canada with the US
price about equal considering teh exchange rate.
You pay what you think they are worth to you, usually on used tools I
look at at about 3/4 of original price as max on Taylor tools I want,
anything below that I would consider as a deal, don't forget to factor
in the shipping costs as well.(G)
Just my take on used tool purchases, others I'm sure will say different.
(G)

ICU

..