fossils and faux fossils

Old July 2nd 03, 10:34 PM
PoRRo

Default fossils and faux fossils

Few weeks ago I bought some ammonite fossil slices from Shelley, and got to
see in real life how they are inside. I had some ammonites here, but I have
not seen the insides anywhere else than in the books and net. Now that I saw
them, I knew I had to try to cane them. I made the cane and some beads today
and for the first time in loooong time I have the instant need to share them
with the world

So here is the page
http://porro.claymountain.com/fossil.html

Cant wait to show the necklace that I am making with faux fossil and
beads... I really hope I will have time to string it tomorrow !!!

PöRRö
***********************************
http://porro.claymountain.com
http://www.saunalahti.fi/theporro/

Old July 7th 03, 09:21 PM
Varda Levram-Ellisman

HI PöRRö

They are nice but I think that to make them look more like a real
fossil you need to put the segmentations within the curly part. To
cover an egg with slices from such a cane can be cool. Even to give it
a rough look like it was found in nature would be as interesting as a
smooth look.
Thanks for sharing, as usual you have great ideas.
Varda
Old July 9th 03, 02:19 PM
PoRRo

Varda wrote;
They are nice but I think that to make them look more like a real
fossil you need to put the segmentations within the curly part.

Yes and no. In this one that I used to make the ammonite there was barely
any segmentation lines visible. I have few segment lines in the cane but not
many. For the next light one I will have to make more as I too miss them
there even though they are not that visible in many of the real ammonite
slices I have.
I have always thought that they are in every fossil, but I just got email
from someone who explained that some of these fossils are either rotten or
are from different period of time where the segmentations have been less.
Apparently ammonites were not shell- type of crawlers but more very soft
octopus like things. I always have thought they were sortof "stronger" and
more like snails, but at least my source tells me they were swimmers and had
particles coming out.

I found some more fossils at fleamarket near our summer cottage. I took
pictures of those and put them on the fossil page at
http://porro.claymountain.com/fossil.html

In the dark ammonite slice the segmentations are really really noticable.
The dark lines are almost like "bullseyes in the line" (sort of OOOO-
jellyrol cane). If I compare that to the light coloured ones I bought from
shelley, there really seems to be huge difference in the general colouring
too: in this the colour from inside the roll seems to be more consistent
with the outer colour. In the ones Shelley sent me the colour varies a lot
from inside out...

cover an egg with slices from such a cane can be cool. Even to give it
a rough look like it was found in nature would be as interesting as a
smooth look.

Good idea. I have already started an egg with slice of the cane and made
some filligree around it. That looks pretty darn cool too...

Can someone guess wheather I am exited or not ??? Grin...
--
PöRRö