"Old" Singer Sewing Machines

Old October 18th 04, 10:12 PM
Pauline O'Connell

Default "Old" Singer Sewing Machines

I have an opportunity to get a friend's mother's old Singer Sewing Machine.
Before she goes to the trouble of dragging it out, I want to see if anyone
can tell me which models are worth having. I'm sure it is not a
Featherweight (darn), but I was hoping it might be a model I've heard has a
really good stitch - I think it's a 221 or a 231??? Can anyone give me any
recommendations on what is worth bring home or what years are worth
considering bringing home?

Thanks so much for any advise/help!

Pauline

Old October 18th 04, 10:22 PM
Diana Curtis

My recommendation is that if it is a Singer, and black, bring it home! There
are non black models worth having but I only know about the Fashion Mate
that I have and love. Let us know what sort of a treasure you get!
Diana

--
Vote this November (U.S.A.)

Old October 18th 04, 11:27 PM
Pauline O'Connell

That's funny, because I was thinking if she opened it up & it was beige
plastic, that would pretty much answer any questions I had. Thanks for the
advise Diana. (Although, I must say that about 30 years ago, my first
husband embarassingly gave me a low end Singer - Genie. We had just had a
big move & I wasn't working, so money was an issue. Anyway, until a few
years ago, that's what I sewed on & it served me very well. It has
psychedelic orange & yellow swirls on it & it's made in France. It's NEVER
been serviced & only cleaned by me once about 2 years ago - after I got my
Viking - & it's like the Everready battery - just keeps on ticking

Old October 18th 04, 11:51 PM
frood

I got to borrow a Genie last year, and it was so cool! I told the woman if
she ever wanted to sell it, to think of me!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old October 19th 04, 01:03 AM
Kate Dicey

Pauline O'Connell wrote:

I have an opportunity to get a friend's mother's old Singer Sewing Machine.
Before she goes to the trouble of dragging it out, I want to see if anyone
can tell me which models are worth having. I'm sure it is not a
Featherweight (darn), but I was hoping it might be a model I've heard has a
really good stitch - I think it's a 221 or a 231??? Can anyone give me any
recommendations on what is worth bring home or what years are worth
considering bringing home?

Thanks so much for any advise/help!

Pauline

Featherweight for sure!
Anything black and made of cast iron
Anything with really cute decals
Anything with a wavy cast iron base - that will be OLD old - pre 1900
TREADLES AND HAND CRANKS

To be avoided:
Things with nylon gears
Things with rubber feed dogs
Anything made after 1964

For quilting anything in the 15 range is good.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old October 19th 04, 02:40 AM
LunaLighte

I do have to admit that I love my Singer 339 it was made in 1964 its a nice
green model. All metal with the only thing plastic being the stitching cams,
and what I love the best is that it has only had two owners since it was
bought, my mom and now me.

Dawn
--
When life gets you down , Get up and Mambo
John Candy

Old October 19th 04, 03:05 AM
Polly Esther

Dawn, I'm paying serious attention here and listing Singers to look for. Can
you drop the feeddogs on the Singer 339 to free motion quilt? Since it has
stitching cams, can I assume that it does a few fancy stitches? Polly

Old October 19th 04, 06:05 PM
Debra

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:27:00 GMT, "Pauline O'Connell"
wrote:

(Although, I must say that about 30 years ago, my first
husband embarassingly gave me a low end Singer - Genie. We had just had a
big move & I wasn't working, so money was an issue. Anyway, until a few
years ago, that's what I sewed on & it served me very well. It has
psychedelic orange & yellow swirls on it & it's made in France. It's NEVER
been serviced & only cleaned by me once about 2 years ago - after I got my
Viking - & it's like the Everready battery - just keeps on ticking

I've got one of those around. It needs a little work now, but I sewed
for years on it without ever getting it serviced. As far as I'm
concerned the psychedelic orange & yellow swirls is it's only serious
drawback.

Debra in VA
Old October 19th 04, 06:09 PM
taria

Those swirls have made it a retro sort of desirable
machine. The Genie (there were 2, maybe 3 models)
were fun little machines.
Taria