OT Laminate flooring

Old July 11th 11, 07:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default OT Laminate flooring

I want black and white (diagonal) checkerboard-pattern flooring in my
kitchen and bathroom in my little cottage. I've never had laminate
flooring and have concerns about whether it will be slippery if used
in the kitchen with the miriad possiblilites of spills and in the
bathroom with water spills. Second, a friend said he thought there
were laminates available 12 in. black and white square 'sections'. I
tried searching online but haven't found anything but wood patterns.
Has anybody seen laminates in 12 in. squares and solid colors? And
can I install a laminate floor all by myself???

Thanks for any advice and/or help.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.
Old July 11th 11, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I'm just going to spout out my HO and not be the mildest bit insulted if you
ignore me completely. Okay?
Mr. Esther's sister, the decorator - and she was a grand one - did her
own kitchen in black/white tile sections. The white blocks showed
everything but if they happend to miss a bit of dust, flour or whatever else
was tracked in, the black blocks happily took care of them and amplified
their existence. It was only pretty when just vacuumed and mopped. Other
than that, it ALWAYS looked like she never cleaned house. She hated it.
Okay. There. There it is.
Now, OTOH, we put down a whole lot of laminate flooring about 2 years
ago. Not because it was cheap; mercy no. It was not cheap. We were
looking for soft, quiet and easy care. And warm. Well, warm-ER than
assorted stone stuff.
Yes, we did try the 12" square tiles DIY in Mr. Esther's bathroom. Big
mistake. They didn't stay stuck. The fine fellow that installed the other
floors said our mistake was not using glue in addition to the stuff already
on the separate tiles. YMMV. Your knees may vary too but that is a hard
job. I say go with the professional floor guy and let him do it. I'm
guessing your son is decades younger than Mr. Esther and I, and he might be
fine but we surely were not.
Our new laminate floor is a beauty and a joy to live with. And, just
one more thing. We had never noticed until all was done but the way the
tiles line up, there is a line that runs from the bar in one kitchen,
through the laundry room all the way to the far end of 'my' kitchen. The
floor guy got it so straight and perfect that we could enter it at Paducah.
HTH, Polly

Old July 11th 11, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Jul 11, 2:56*pm, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
I want black and white (diagonal) checkerboard-pattern flooring in my
kitchen and bathroom in my little cottage. * I've never had laminate
flooring and have concerns about whether it will be slippery if used
in the kitchen with the miriad possiblilites of spills and in the
bathroom with water spills. *Second, a friend said he thought there
were laminates available 12 in. black and white square 'sections'. * I
tried searching online but haven't found anything but wood patterns.
Has anybody seen laminates in 12 in. squares and solid colors? *And
can I install a laminate floor all by myself???

Thanks for any advice and/or help.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I have no experience with laminate, myself. BIL/SIL are looking at
the wood versions for their home. One thing they have found is that,
as Polly says, it ain't cheap if you want a good product. Also with
most, the grain/color does not run through the entire plank/square -
only the top layer. I don't think I'd use it in my home with my 2
labs and their nails. DH isn't much better with what he tracks in the
house, either! In fact, I want to put ceramic tile in my dining
room. It's a room that we use very infrequently and it's the one
every dog we've ever had opts to get sick in! We have ceramic in our
kitchen/powder room and I love it. Does get a bit slippery when
dripping wet from the pool to the potty but otherwise it's great. I
went with a mottled brownish/tanish color and used dark brown grout.
Have chocolate labs. Until the hair gets to tumbleweed size, you
never see a speck of dirt on this floor. DH and I laid that floor by
ourselves - 20 years ago. It was a chore but entirely doable. I
really want to get rid of all the carpet but that's not going to
happen. Good luck!
Old July 11th 11, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Pretty much the worst thing you could choose, I'm afraid, Leslie.
Laminate does not like water - you are not supposed to clean it even
with water - there is a special stuff. I have it on most of my ground
floor, but not in bedrooms (carpeted), nor in kitchen, bathroom, utility
room - all the potentially watery areas. For those areas I have a
cushion floor vinyl - quite suitable for wet areas. There are numerous
vinyls with a black and white tile pattern. However, the best bet is,
probably, to check out the colour of the mud at the new house and ensure
that the floor covering you choose blends with it! With your big dogs,
you'll need to be aware of mud!
Finally, if you do decide to risk all and lay laminate, you will have to
take off the skirting board (I've forgotten what you call it - would it
be base board?), so that the laminate goes under it and then put it
back. If you don't do that, you have to use a fairly visible (mine is
about 1" wide) along all the walls. Where I have the vinyl, the
flooring chap put a seal of silicone all around the edges, so that water
could not get underneath.

I just went and put a bit of water on this (study) floor and checked for
slippery: yes, very slippery, even with my rubber soled slippers.

I can't see any advantage, even if you could find black and white
squares. Cushion floor vinyl is so warm and easy on the feet, and easy
to lay.
..
In message
,
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old July 11th 11, 10:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Uh oh. Apparently, ...! I don't know the difference in laminate and
cushion floor vinyl.
It's probably time for me to go get my tracking chip implanted.
Polly

"Pat S" wrote in message
news
[...]

.
In message
,

Old July 11th 11, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Oh Polly, I NEED black and white floors! Wah! I want the little
cottage to look Victorian even if I can't afford to really do it
properly. The bathroom I have dreamed about has black cabinets. In
the little groove in the molding on the doors I want a tiny strip of
gilt gold paint and a decoupage effect of a deep pink rose in the
center of flat panel on the doors. The kitchen needs white cabinets
for the gorgeous floral wallpaper border I want to use- it's about 28
in. wide. and will go above the baseboards with a chair rail at the
top edge of the border.

Black and white is the only thing that will work in this extra girly
house- for me for forever. Will you forgive me? ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

On Jul 11, 2:32*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
[...]

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.- Hide quoted text -

Old July 11th 11, 11:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Kim, I am refinishing the original wood floors in all downstairs rooms
but the kitchen and bath. If I use ceramic tiles won't I have a good
1/4 in. thickness to deal with from the level of the wood floors to
the ceramic tiled floors? How do you deal with the change from room
to room?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old July 11th 11, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

(sigh) I think you just talked me out of laminate. The vinyl will
probably cost a whole lot less, too. Okay. Laminate is out.
Thanks! VBG

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old July 11th 11, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Polly, dear, we'd all be honored to take turns keeping track of
you..... the chip won't be necessary! ROFLOL

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

On Jul 11, 4:34*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
Uh oh. *Apparently, ...! * I don't know the difference in laminate and
cushion floor vinyl.
* * It's probably time for me to go get my tracking chip implanted.
* * Polly

"Pat S" wrote in message

news

[...]

Pat on the Green- Hide quoted text -

Old July 11th 11, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Leslie, I don't know about the tile type but we have the wood
look laminate from Costco. 5 Years in and it still looks like new
with the exception of where I drop knives in the kitchen. (only
a few of those nicks and they have been touched up so I really notice
them just when I clean) DH did the install himself and it went pretty
smooth. A nice big square room helps there though. The earlier
manufactured stuff was hit and miss but I think from about the time
we got ours forward it is pretty tough. I took a scrap of the stuff and
tossed it in a pie plate of water for a good several weeks (I can't remember
exactly how long but it was a while) That stuff showed not a bit of
bother from the water. It was amazing. The dogs don't seem to give it
any wear. It is amazing stuff. The trim gets pricey if you need a lot of
that
so keep that in mind. I think you and your son could do a good job with
it. Oh, we are on a slab foundation so not sure how your old wood one
would be in comparison.
HTH, Taria

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message

I want black and white (diagonal) checkerboard-pattern flooring in my
kitchen and bathroom in my little cottage. I've never had laminate
flooring and have concerns about whether it will be slippery if used
in the kitchen with the miriad possiblilites of spills and in the
bathroom with water spills. Second, a friend said he thought there
were laminates available 12 in. black and white square 'sections'. I
tried searching online but haven't found anything but wood patterns.
Has anybody seen laminates in 12 in. squares and solid colors? And
can I install a laminate floor all by myself???

Thanks for any advice and/or help.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Laminate Table Tops liukaiyuan Quilting 0 May 7th 08 07:10 AM
flooring [email protected] Quilting 5 April 13th 07 05:18 PM
OT anybody installed laminate flooring DrQuilter Quilting 14 March 29th 06 04:10 PM
laminate flooring andy General Crafting 1 January 15th 06 03:23 PM
Putting laminate on tempered glass? Keith Harvey Glass 1 April 2nd 04 02:41 AM