To all Brits ,,,, ARE YOU SAFE ???

Old June 29th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default To all Brits ,,,, ARE YOU SAFE ???

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
Wow... stay away from the news and computer news for a couple of days and
look what I missed. I am so sorry to hear of the horrible flooding going
on, and glad that our rcty British friends are safe.

Last Friday night, a small town 30 minutes straight south of where I live
was torn apart by an F4 tornado. Thankfully, no one was killed. A local
mill was damaged and 19 people are out of work for now. Article and
picture
links below:
http://tinyurl.com/2cywz9
http://tinyurl.com/2ys55y

Yes, there are far worse weather conditions in other parts of the world than
what's happening in Britain right now.

And there are things happening in Britain which we don't know about, a son
who's a volunteer in one of the emergency services told me yesterday that an
area in our city, about three miles away, was flooded and houses were being
evacuated. But it wasn't as dramatic as the potential damburst so it's
ignored by the media. York will have been flooded, it alsays is when there's
even modest rain, but that hasn't been reported either, it's too well known
to be sensational!

This was just a little too close for comfort for me. I live in a mobile
home and would have to run if I knew a tornado was coming. On Saturday
night there was a terrible storm in cottage country and 1500 cottages and
cabins were damaged.
http://tinyurl.com/2gzdst

I feel for you.

Since we get severe weather here every summer I'm not going to hop on the
climate change bandwagon yet.

Well, I'm old enough to have seen changes and don't want to contribute to
any more so I'm being very careful with our carbon footprint - but that's
another story.

Mary

Old July 2nd 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

Last Friday night, a small town 30 minutes straight south of where I live
was torn apart by an F4 tornado. Thankfully, no one was killed. A local
mill was damaged and 19 people are out of work for now. Article and
picture
links below:
http://tinyurl.com/2cywz9
http://tinyurl.com/2ys55y

This was just a little too close for comfort for me. I live in a mobile
home and would have to run if I knew a tornado was coming. On Saturday
night there was a terrible storm in cottage country and 1500 cottages and
cabins were damaged.
http://tinyurl.com/2gzdst

Since we get severe weather here every summer I'm not going to hop on the
climate change bandwagon yet.

Shelagh

Yikes! I actually did hear about the horrible weather out your way. I
didn't realize how close it was to you though. I'm glad it missed you!
Stay safe!

Something else I didn't know, and only just heard about yesterday at the
barbecue/Canada Day celebration we went to... apparently a tornado touched
down a few miles south of where we live, and a funnel cloud had been seen
out over the lake to the west of us by a few miles. All that happened
during that wild storm we had last week. I really am going to have to at
least start checking out our local news more often to keep up on what's
going on. But then... ignorance is bliss, so they say! ;o)

*hugs*
Gem

Old July 2nd 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message

... apparently a tornado touched down a few miles south of where we live,
and a funnel cloud had been seen out over the lake to the west of us by a
few miles. All that happened during that wild storm we had last week. I
really am going to have to at least start checking out our local news more
often to keep up on what's going on. But then... ignorance is bliss, so
they say! ;o)

Yes - you're not going to be able to stop it just because you know about it
:-)

Mary

*hugs*
Gem

Old July 2nd 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
I really am going to have to at least start checking out our local news

more
often to keep up on what's going on. But then... ignorance is bliss,

so
they say! ;o)

Yes - you're not going to be able to stop it just because you know about

it
:-)

Mary

No, you can't stop it, but you can help yourself be safer!

Shelagh

Old July 3rd 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
I really am going to have to at least start checking out our local news
more often to keep up on what's going on. But then... ignorance is
bliss,
so they say! ;o)

Yes - you're not going to be able to stop it just because you know about
it :-)

Mary

No, you can't stop it, but you can help yourself be safer!

Shelagh

Thankfully our town has always been by-passed by tornadoes. Yes, we do get
the extremely heavy winds that have uprooted trees or snapped them in
half... but any tornadoes that pass by here have a trail from the
south-west, across the highway a few miles south of our town and on to the
east of us before dying out. When I was very little there had been one that
tore a house away about 5 miles to the east of us, leaving only the bathtub
(are you ready?) with a lady in it taking a bath. When Matthew was very
little there was one that did some major devastation to a tiny community
about 12 miles to the south-west of us.

Other than that we have had trees uprooted in the cemetery at the north east
edge of town (although the *experts* sau ot wasn't, I'm almost positive that
a tornado had to have touched down there), trees snapped in half on some
streets around town and hydro/telephone poles snapped in half on occasion
too; all to go along with some pretty wild storms consisting of thunder,
lightning, torrential downpours that flood down the streets in waves like on
a river, and very VERY strong winds. Most times I like to sit on the sofa
(used to like to sit in the foyer before it started leaking like a basket)
with the curtains open and watch the show the storm puts on. Mind you,
while watching, I keep a close eye on the sky and clouds... especially any
that come in from the south-west. If need be, we can head to the rec-room
and huddle in the south-east corner like I have always heard is the safest
area to be if a tornado hits. Of course, having never been through one, I
have no idea if that is true or not... but it sounds logical to me... if
that's the direction it is coming from, then it *should* blow things away
from you.

Stay safe everyone!

*hugs*
Gemini

Old July 3rd 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message

... When I was very little there had been one that tore a house away
about 5 miles to the east of us, leaving only the bathtub (are you ready?)
with a lady in it taking a bath.

Almost every time I'm in the bath I have the image of the house wall falling
down and leaving me exposed to the world. Well, our street.

Serves 'em right - they shouldn't be looking :-)

Mary

Old July 4th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message

... When I was very little there had been one that tore a house away
about 5 miles to the east of us, leaving only the bathtub (are you
ready?) with a lady in it taking a bath.

Almost every time I'm in the bath I have the image of the house wall
falling down and leaving me exposed to the world. Well, our street.

Serves 'em right - they shouldn't be looking :-)

Mary

LOL I forgot to mention that the lady was in an upstairs bathtub and had
to be helped out of it by firemen on their truck ladder. I would just die
of embarrassment.... LEAVE ME ALONE AND MY HUSBAND CAN GET ME OUT OF
HERE!!! hehehe

It's good to laugh. ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

Old July 4th 07, 10:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message

... When I was very little there had been one that tore a house away
about 5 miles to the east of us, leaving only the bathtub (are you
ready?) with a lady in it taking a bath.

Almost every time I'm in the bath I have the image of the house wall
falling down and leaving me exposed to the world. Well, our street.

Serves 'em right - they shouldn't be looking :-)

Mary

LOL I forgot to mention that the lady was in an upstairs bathtub and had
to be helped out of it by firemen on their truck ladder.

Oh that could be nice - as you get older fewer men want to take you in their
arms ;-)

I would just die of embarrassment.... LEAVE ME ALONE AND MY HUSBAND CAN
GET ME OUT OF HERE!!! hehehe

And embarrassment and modesty also go with age, what used to be my naughty
bits have been peered at by so many medics that I don't give a damn.

My only concern is that I'm not good at heights :-)

It's good to laugh. ;o)

I'll drink to that!

Mary