No curl fabric

Old June 13th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Default No curl fabric

Hello,

I'm new to machine knitting and have just acquired an old Singer 322
with ribber. My son wants me to make him a Dr Who scarf (ie long).
My problem is finding a stitch pattern that won't curl. I'd be
grateful for any suggestions or book recommendations. Is rib fabric
the only option?

Brenda
--
Please erase MARK to email
Old June 14th 06, 09:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Brenda Joy wrote:
Hello,

I'm new to machine knitting and have just acquired an old Singer 322
with ribber. My son wants me to make him a Dr Who scarf (ie long).
My problem is finding a stitch pattern that won't curl. I'd be
grateful for any suggestions or book recommendations. Is rib fabric
the only option?

Brenda

Tuck won't curl, either, and has the advantage of being on one bed.
Another way to do it is to knit it "in the round" so that it's a smooth
knit on the outside, and since there are no edges, it won't "curl."
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.alternate-universe
Old June 14th 06, 09:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 01:17:55 -0700, Pogonip
wrote:

Brenda Joy wrote:

My problem is finding a stitch pattern that won't curl. I'd be
grateful for any suggestions or book recommendations. Is rib fabric
the only option?

Tuck won't curl, either, and has the advantage of being on one bed.
Another way to do it is to knit it "in the round" so that it's a smooth
knit on the outside, and since there are no edges, it won't "curl."

Thanks, I'll give these a try.

Brenda
--
Please erase MARK to email
Old June 14th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

wrote:

Brenda Joy wrote:

My problem is finding a stitch pattern that won't curl. I'd be
grateful for any suggestions or book recommendations. Is rib fabric
the only option?

Tuck won't curl, either, and has the advantage of being on one bed.
Another way to do it is to knit it "in the round" so that it's a smooth
knit on the outside, and since there are no edges, it won't "curl."

Thanks, I'll give these a try.

Brenda

Good luck. I see our new Dr. Who doesn't have a scarf. Or maybe he
left it somewhere....in the past or the future.
Old June 15th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

wrote:

Brenda Joy wrote:

My problem is finding a stitch pattern that won't curl. I'd be
grateful for any suggestions or book recommendations. Is rib fabric
the only option?

Tuck won't curl, either, and has the advantage of being on one bed.
Another way to do it is to knit it "in the round" so that it's a smooth
knit on the outside, and since there are no edges, it won't "curl."

Thanks, I'll give these a try.

Brenda

Good luck. I see our new Dr. Who doesn't have a scarf. Or maybe he
left it somewhere....in the past or the future.

I could really use the TARDIS about now. I never have enough time or
space. I'm busy rebuilding the table for the knitting machine instead
of knitting and I'm itching to have another go. I've been using a
makeshift table that consists of a slab of chipboard on a metal stand
that isn't quite big enough. It was okay though until I attached the
ribber, then the weight of it all threatened to overbalance the lot.

Regarding the scarf, DS wants a really long one like Tom Baker wore.
I think it was sometimes longer than 20 ft and never smaller than 10.
I even found a web site devoted to Dr Who's scarf!

Brenda
--
Please erase MARK to email
Old June 15th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

wrote:

Brenda Joy wrote:

[...]

I need a TARDIS, also. Please. If you have a spare, please send it
over. Getting a machine set up so it does'nt fall over, or otherwise
interfere with operation is critical - I bought a tilt-stand for mine
because nothing else I tried was satisfactory. I have seen a stand that
is a cabinet that the machine folds into when not in use - British I
think it was - that was nifty, but I think the machine had to be out of
work when you closed it. No hanging fabric waiting for you to get back
to it.

The Dr. Who scarf is great fun as long as the person who has it does not
make the mistake made.
Old June 15th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Pogonip wrote:

The Dr. Who scarf is great fun as long as the person who has it does not
make the mistake Isadora Duncan made.

Old June 16th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 12:40:38 -0700, Pogonip
wrote:

Pogonip wrote:

The Dr. Who scarf is great fun as long as the person who has it does not
make the mistake Isadora Duncan made.

Now there's fabric that really curled!

Brenda
--
Please erase MARK to email
Old July 7th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
[email protected]

Brenda Joy wrote:
Hello,

I'm new to machine knitting and have just acquired an old Singer 322
with ribber. My son wants me to make him a Dr Who scarf (ie long).
My problem is finding a stitch pattern that won't curl. I'd be
grateful for any suggestions or book recommendations. Is rib fabric
the only option?

Brenda
--

Hi,
The easiest way to knit a scarf that will not curl is to have a fringe
on each end.

Jo