What have I got?

Old April 9th 06, 11:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Default What have I got?

I've received, courtesy of Freecycle, a Jones DeLuxe KH-800 knitting
machine. The donor also got it from Freecycle but never used it
because it seemed too complicated, so she couldn't tell me anything
about it except that the woman who gave it to her advised her to take
classes to learn how to use it.

I'd be very grateful for any and all information about this machine
and its suitability for a beginning machine knitter. Is it easy to use
or so complicated and temperamental that it'll put me off knitting
machines for ever? If the latter, what should I look for in a knitting
machine? - I'm hoping to get a second-hand one to see how I get on
with them. Does the Jones have any little quirks that I need to be
aware of? I learn pretty well from instructions and books and I do
have the instruction manual that came with the machine but it seems to
be a translation or at least not very well written - are there any
generic knitting machine instructions on the net?

********

When I was at university we had something called a Party Seven. This
was a tin containing seven pints of not-very-nice beer. Someone took
it to a party and it didn't get opened because there were nicer things
to drink. The party hosts took it to the next party and so on. That
tin made the rounds of parties for years before someone got desperate
enough to open it and drink the contents.

I'm thinking that this knitting machine could be the Party Seven of
Leeds Freecycle. :-)

Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England
Old April 9th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Sally Holmes wrote:

[...]

Brother (the makers of the Jones machines) published some excellent machine
knitting manuals. They're out of print now, but often appear, either alone
or as parts of a lot, on eBay.

'Knitting Techniques Book', softcover, 145 pages, is very good, with clear,
well-rendered illustrations, and includes some more advanced techniques, as
well as the basics.

'Let's Start Knitting", softcover, 158 pages, is a good beginner's book
(just ignore the cutesy cartoon illustrations!). It assumes, though, that
you will be using a KnitLeader.

There's a 2-volume hardcover Knitting Book -vol 1, Guide to Knitting; vol
2, How To Knit Garments - sometimes labelled Silver, sometimes Singer -
this set also turns up on eBay, but tends to sell for considerably more
than the Brother-specific ones previously mentioned.

There are a few UK machine knitting dealers, some of whom also sell on eBay
- you could try contacting them, to see if they have any of the books in
stock.

Sheila
Old April 18th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Hi Sally,

You have a very useable machine, IMHO. I've the 836. They are a little
tricky to get started on, but once you're going, it's addictive!

There are some very good groups on yahoo - brotherknittingmachines is
excellent, also check out www.listhost.com for the machknit mailing
list.

Have fun!

Jane