OT 'splain icons

Old November 1st 11, 05:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT 'splain icons

You've explained bling, blog and Hootchie Mama to me. Here's the latest
blank spot in my understanding. Is there an online place that shows icons -
those silly little symbols - and what they're supposed to mean. . . to
someone... sometime? My modem - I just barely understand that this is the
'lots of blinky lights' that sits beside my printer and the embroidery
machine has icons that mean nothing NOTHING to me. One sort of looks like a
bow with an arrow but not exactly, one has 3 squares going right,left,right.
Is there a kindergarten level icon show and tell? Polly

Old November 1st 11, 06:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian[_3_]

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:33:50 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:

You've explained bling, blog and Hootchie Mama to me. Here's the latest
blank spot in my understanding. Is there an online place that shows
icons - those silly little symbols - and what they're supposed to mean.
. . to someone... sometime? My modem - I just barely understand that
this is the 'lots of blinky lights' that sits beside my printer and the
embroidery machine has icons that mean nothing NOTHING to me. One sort
of looks like a bow with an arrow but not exactly, one has 3 squares
going right,left,right. Is there a kindergarten level icon show and
tell? Polly

Does the symbol that looks like a bow and arrow look like this:
http://www.quora.com/Whats-the-story...e-power-symbol
If so, it is probably the power indicator for your modem. If you are
actually looking for a power switch, most modems do not have one. Either
it is plugged in or not plugged in.

The three blinking lights probably indicate in some fashion whether the
modem is communicating with the computer or the outside world. There is
also probably a light that indicates whether the modem has an internet
connection at all.

That is what the lights are for, I really cannot say much more than that
about specifically what each light is for without knowing the model of
your modem.

Brian Christiansen
Old November 1st 11, 12:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Can't explain anything, because I'm just as confused. Our.... system?
runs on something called "Fritz Box". Which IMO is ridiculous: to an
English speaker, anything "on the fritz" is an electrical object that
doesn't work.

So Fritz runs both our land line phones and the Internet connection,
god help us. The phones are cordless, and the Internet is Wlan. My
main problem with all this is location: office in the basement, and
every floor of the house is on a concrete slab. Not good wireless
reception! So to boost the signal we have 2 repeaters clogging up
convenient electric outlets, and these have numerous mysterious
symbols in red lights. I asked DH what the various symbols meant, and
he said it didn't matter as long as nothing was blinking. So I suspect
he doesn't know either.
Roberta in D, where Fritz is also a nickname for Friederich

Old November 1st 11, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Can't we have one of those cute crib quilt panels - but instead of A is
alligator or apple, it would have the icons? Polly

Old November 2nd 11, 03:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Polly, I love the idea of having a quilt with various icons and smilies and the like. How fun, and useful -- considering our infants now must be plugged into a computer shortly after birth or they will be hopelessly deformed. LOL.

Sunny
Old November 2nd 11, 04:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

We need help, Sunny. There are only two that I can identify. My modem has
a cute wee little bitty old timey telephone receiver on it. Infants will
have no notion what that is. And there's one that looks like a pad lock.
We could figure that one out. Maybe. Polly

"Sunny" wrote in message
Polly, I love the idea of having a quilt with various icons and smilies
and the like. How fun, and useful -- considering our infants now must be
plugged into a computer shortly after birth or they will be hopelessly
deformed. LOL.

Sunny

Killing icons Polly Esther[_5_] Quilting 14 April 13th 10 10:05 AM
'splain to me about 'band saws' [email protected] Glass 72 July 14th 06 03:48 AM
All those "icons" on the yarn... Laura Yarn 14 May 30th 04 10:18 PM
free bead icons AireSignDesign Beads 1 August 28th 03 01:48 AM
free bead icons AireSignDesign Jewelry 0 August 26th 03 03:14 PM