Bernette 410 -- stitch length problems

Old August 30th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
AMM

Default Bernette 410 -- stitch length problems

I have a Bernette (sp?) 410 sewing machine that we bought
about 20 years ago reconditioned.

I'm fairly happy with it (especially when I look at what
new machines cost), except for one problem:
it's not very good at pulling the cloth through at a consistent
rate.

The stitch length will vary by a factor of 2 or 3 on a simple,
flat seam. If I go over a fold, it will sometimes stop moving
the cloth at all, and merrily put all the stitches in one spot.

This is true with light cloth (e.g., voile), medium weight cloth
(broadcloth, quilting-weight cotton, etc.), and heavy (14 oz denim.)
I've played with the foot pressure, but it doesn't help.

I find that if I want the cloth to go through consistently, I have
to grab both ends and pull on the cloth the way I want it
to go.

I took it in to be serviced at my local fabric shop, and it didn't
help at all. Nothing was improved, but it did drip oil on the
cloth for a while.

Every time I ask at the shop, they say it's
because the machine doesn't have the horsepower (but it
puts stitches through 4--6 layers of heavy denim without
a problem!)

They insist my only solution is to buy a fancy
new Bernina or Husqwhatever, for something
like $1000 . But when I look at these machines, they
have lots of features I don't need. And they don't look
exactly robust. (They don't even have a proper reverse stitch
setting, like my mother's old straight-stitch home Singer.)

Any suggestions from folks who *don't* have a financial interest
in selling me the most expensive machine on the market?

-- AMM

[line eater fodder]

Old August 30th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Sarah Dale

AMM wrote:
The stitch length will vary by a factor of 2 or 3 on a simple,
flat seam. If I go over a fold, it will sometimes stop moving
the cloth at all, and merrily put all the stitches in one spot.

Ouch! Interesting problem AMM. I have two things, no three things to
suggest to you.

1) Take out the bobbin, bobbin case, and needle plate etc. and check you
haven't got a build up of lint under the feed dogs that's preventing
them moving properly. Have a good old clean out in there.I know you've
just had it serviced - but it's worth checking! If the shop didn't do
that - go and complain!

2) Re-post your query over on alt.sewing - a much busier group by far,
although a lot of folks read both.

3) If you are in America, Contact Ron Anderson
A1 Sewing Machine
PO Box 60
Sand Lake, NY 12153
518-674-8491
http://www.a1sewingmachine.com

He's a long term member of alt.sewing, and can give you excellent advice
etc. without selling you a machine you don't want.

HTH

Sarah

Old August 30th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
FragileWarrior

Sarah Dale wrote in
:

AMM wrote:
The stitch length will vary by a factor of 2 or 3 on a simple,
flat seam. If I go over a fold, it will sometimes stop moving
the cloth at all, and merrily put all the stitches in one spot.

Ouch! Interesting problem AMM. I have two things, no three things to
suggest to you.

1) Take out the bobbin, bobbin case, and needle plate etc. and check you
haven't got a build up of lint under the feed dogs that's preventing
them moving properly. Have a good old clean out in there.I know you've
just had it serviced - but it's worth checking! If the shop didn't do
that - go and complain!

You might also want to check and make sure that the feed dogs aren't
dropped for some reason. Some sewing machines have that capability and if
they're not up and moving, neither is the fabric.

Whatever the problem is, I'd bet it is with that part of the machine, not
the "horsepower".

Old August 31st 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Phaedrine

In article .com,
"AMM" wrote:

I have a Bernette (sp?) 410 sewing machine that we bought
about 20 years ago reconditioned.

I'm fairly happy with it (especially when I look at what
new machines cost), except for one problem:
it's not very good at pulling the cloth through at a consistent
rate.

This is a bottom of the line machine to start with. If it was
reconditioned 20 years ago (!), I can't imagine it has much life left in
it.

--
I fear me you but warm the starved snake
Who, cherished in your breasts, will sting your hearts. (Henry VI,Shakespeare)
Old August 31st 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
FragileWarrior

Phaedrine wrote in
:

In article .com,
"AMM" wrote:

I have a Bernette (sp?) 410 sewing machine that we bought
about 20 years ago reconditioned.

I'm fairly happy with it (especially when I look at what
new machines cost), except for one problem:
it's not very good at pulling the cloth through at a consistent
rate.

This is a bottom of the line machine to start with. If it was
reconditioned 20 years ago (!), I can't imagine it has much life left in
it.

Tell that to my Featherweight workhorse.
Old August 31st 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate Dicey

FragileWarrior wrote:

Phaedrine wrote in
:

In article .com,
"AMM" wrote:

I have a Bernette (sp?) 410 sewing machine that we bought
about 20 years ago reconditioned.

I'm fairly happy with it (especially when I look at what
new machines cost), except for one problem:
it's not very good at pulling the cloth through at a consistent
rate.

This is a bottom of the line machine to start with. If it was
reconditioned 20 years ago (!), I can't imagine it has much life left in
it.

Tell that to my Featherweight workhorse.

Yeah, but a Featherweight was never the cheap bottom of the line
machine. It was well engineered, made by Singer when Singer still made
good machines (the Bernette range are low budget, bought in badged
machines, not made by Bernia), and expensive in its day. I love mine to
death, but its limited stitch range (forward and back only!) make it
less than ideal for an every day machine in this day and age. Hand
finishing is fun, but not always a viable option, and the FW doesn't
cope so well with knits as a machine with zigzag.

Hm... Thinks: need to do a FW project!
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 31st 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

AMM wrote:
[...]

They insist my only solution is to buy a fancy machine...

snip
---
Malarky. You might need a new repair shop.
Check the feed dogs for wear; they may not be feeding the fabric
properly if they have 20 years' wear on them. One of my rubber-footed
Singers had the same symptoms, and metal feet will wear down, too.
Next, check the feed dogs for wear/broken teeth.
You say you're adjusted the foot pressure--do you mean you've
adjusted the pressure screw atop your machine, or just top tension?
Use a hump-jumper on thick seams. Do NOT pull the fabric through, as
you will break needles, and likely throw the timing off.
With 20 years under your belt, you know the drill, (but we tend to
forget some things if the machine has been sitting any length of time):
new needle, proper weight for the fabric; use good quality thread only;
thread with the pressure foot raised, so the thread will fall between
the tension discs. Adjust top tension first, if you feel it needs
tensiojn correcting, before tinkering with the bobbin casing screw.
One last idea: on one of my machines, I get a very regular stitch
length if I use only the slow speed setting. Fast speed leads to
shorter, uneven stitches. 'S a mystery to me...
Cea

Old August 31st 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Taria

We have our house on the market to sell right now Kate. My normal
sewing area is all broke down and my stuff is sort of all over
2 houses at this point. The other day I needed to sew so I got
the FW and the FW table out. It was my g'ma's and then mom's machine
and now mine so it is pretty special. It is such a treat to sew on.
Find something to piece!

Bernette machines are pretty notorious for being inexpensive,
problematic machines. I wouldn't put much money into one.
TAria

Old August 31st 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Betty Vereen Hill

wrote in message
oups.com...

Use a hump-jumper on thick seams. Do NOT pull the fabric through, as
you will break needles, and likely throw the timing off.

Please excuse my ignorance. Just what is a hump-jumper? I've fought with
my share of thick seams, but I've never known that there might be something
that would alleviate the problem. My pitiful Singer 5050 pales in
comparison to the fabulous machines many of you command. I really hate to
admit it - I have pulled the fabric through when fighting with a thick seam.
Is there relief in my future?

Betty in Georgia

Old August 31st 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Doreen

Betty Vereen Hill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Use a hump-jumper on thick seams. Do NOT pull the fabric through, as
you will break needles, and likely throw the timing off.

Please excuse my ignorance. Just what is a hump-jumper? I've fought with
my share of thick seams, but I've never known that there might be something
that would alleviate the problem. My pitiful Singer 5050 pales in
comparison to the fabulous machines many of you command. I really hate to
admit it - I have pulled the fabric through when fighting with a thick seam.
Is there relief in my future?

Betty in Georgia

Betty,

A hump jumper (actually sold as a pair, one a little thicker than the
other) is, IMO, a necessity! The jean-a-ma-jig, which is thicker still,
is the perfect aid for hemming jeans.

There's a good explanation of how hump jumpers work at the first link;
the jean-a-ma-jig's basically the same principle.

http://www.thesewingplace.com/index....OD&ProdID=1038

http://www.amisimms.com/jeanamajig.html

Doreen in Alabama

Difference btw Spilt stitch and Chain stitch? silverbells Needlework 3 September 15th 05 08:28 PM
Cross Stitch for sale lisa Marketplace 0 June 8th 04 12:36 AM
Instant Stitch: PM Stitch Creator 2.0 - new ! TEL Needlework 0 January 27th 04 11:26 PM
Huge list of Cross Stitch Items for Sale Theresa Marketplace 0 August 30th 03 02:52 AM
Lost Stitches Russell Miller Needlework 22 August 3rd 03 06:08 AM