Newbie with a question

Old August 3rd 03, 02:01 PM
Colette

Default Newbie with a question

Hi! I'm new here to the group. I became addicted to beading after
spending quality time with Linda. LOL!

I have a question about adding string while working with delicas.
What is the best way to do it? I'm making a necklace with size 11
seed beads and size 15 delicas. Of course, the string isn't long
enough to finish the strand I'm working on. Any knot I've run into
(I'm the Queen of Knotting) or tried won't pass through the delica.
I've ripped the necklace apart once and made the original string
longer but I'm 2/3 of the way done! HELP!!!!!

Colette
Old August 3rd 03, 05:12 PM
Dr. Sooz

Are you the one she recently sucked in to beading? We know about YOU. Welcome
to RCB!

Hi! I'm new here to the group. I became addicted to beading after
spending quality time with Linda. LOL!

~~
Sooz
-------
"Selective deafness, it's a wonderful thing." ~Kathy N-V
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Old August 3rd 03, 05:25 PM
Carol in SLC

I'm new here to the group. I became addicted to beading after
spending quality time with Linda.

Welcome, Colette (and WTG, Linda!!). Personally, I knot everything but I know
there are a lot of people here who never do and don't have their things fall
apart. I'll let them chime in!

Carol in SLC
My new stuff: http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/emma.jpg

Old August 5th 03, 05:06 PM
Dr. Sooz

Hi Sooz!

Linda's told me all about you, too. LOL!

..............uh oh.
~~
Sooz
-------

Old August 5th 03, 05:07 PM
Dr. Sooz

Thanks for all of your help. I never thought of weaving as an option
for adding string.

Makes for a nice, strong piece that way. Do be careful about one thing --
don't fill your beads with *too* much string if you're going to have to be
beading there again -- leave yourself some room inside the beads. (For
instance -- if you're going to come back and embellish that part, or add a
clasp...)
~~
Sooz
-------

Old August 5th 03, 05:10 PM
Dr. Sooz

Here's some stuff you might want to read, Colette --

SEED BEAD (Beginner's Instructions)

1. Get yourself a size 12 beading needle. Do not try to seed bead weave
without a beading needle!

2. Threading the needle is really difficult. The eye is tiny. Everyone bitches
nonstop about this. So don't feel dumb if you have to struggle.....it's awful.
The worst part. If the end of the thread frays, cut it again and keep
trying. You can also flatten the end of the thread by squishing it against a
countertop, then paint it with glue, and let it dry -- then try to thread your
needle.

ALWAYS bring the needle to the thread -- not the thread to the needle (as is
usually done when sewing).

3. Thread length should usually be about 36 inches. Any longer, and you'll get
so many knots you'll shoot yourself. Any shorter, and you'll be threading that
needle again too soon. Two yards maximum. (There are exceptions to this
rule....pay attention to your project directions.)

4. Pick out a seed bead in a color different from your project. Sew your
needle into it once, leaving at least a 6" tail. Then sew your needle back
into the little bead again (same direction as before), pulling your thread
taut. (You will still have that 6" tail.)

This will keep your beads from slipping off the end, a kind of knot. (You can
sew the needle back through yet again, if it slips around uncontrollably.)
Later, after you get your weave done, you can then go back and take the little
bead off, thread your needle onto the 6" tail, and weave the end into your
piece.

Voila! No unraveling, no loose thread. The 6" allows you the room on the
thread to get the needle on, and weave the tail back in.

5. If your weave looks like hell for the first few rows, that's normal. It
will look -- at best -- misshapen and spastic. This is true of all of us,
experienced or virgins. That's just The Way It Is.

6. Watch out for knots. Silamide is great because it doesn't need waxing, it
frays less than Nymo, doesn't need to be pre-stretched, and it knots less. (It
also stretches less, which is good after the piece is completed.) Straighten
your thread every once in a while by letting the needle fall toward the floor
and smoothing out the thread between your fingers, from the weaving toward the
free-hanging needle.

~~
Sooz
-------
"Selective deafness, it's a wonderful thing." ~Kathy N-V
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Question for Kandice BedazzlingJewels Beads 5 August 1st 03 07:05 AM
Newbie Intro angela Beads 28 July 31st 03 05:59 PM
question regarding an AD marisa2 Beads 2 July 16th 03 04:47 PM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM
Newbie!!! (i admit it, and need all the advice i can get) C. Gregory Beads 7 July 9th 03 04:31 AM