How To Make A Quilt "Beard Guard"?

Old July 3rd 05, 11:23 PM
Candide

Default How To Make A Quilt "Beard Guard"?

Have an older quilt that has seen a pretty rough life and want to
stabilised/hide one very frayed/chewed up edge. Rather than make new
pieces, etc would like to sew a "beard guard" along the length of the
edge to cover the damage, but cannot find information or a pattern. As a
relative newbie (have not really sewn since home economics in school,
but can handle straight seems well enough), think this project would be
simple.
Hints? Suggestions? My machine is a Pfaff 1222.

Thanks.

Candide

Old July 4th 05, 02:40 AM
Bobbie Sews Moore

Could you just use a bias binding along all 4 edges?
Hipe this helps Barbara in SC USA

Old July 4th 05, 03:03 AM
Candide

"Bobbie Sews Moore" wrote in message
link.net...
Could you just use a bias binding along all 4 edges?
Hipe this helps Barbara in SC USA

Thanks for the suggestion, but really only the one edge is damaged, and
by "damaged I mean not only missing entire blocks, but the ones that
remain are so ratty looking it isn't decent.

Aside from a beard guard the only way of saving this quilt would be to
make new blocks and recreate the entire edge from scratch. Much as I
would like to do this, do not have that kind of time as my mending box
is quite full.

*Think* have an idea of how to go about it and will measure out some
material tonight and pre-wash so at least that is out of the way. From
the pictures one has seen of beard guards, they are probably nothing
more than a strip of material sew at one edge (usually the top) of a
quilt. Must be sort of like a fabric sandwich, no?

Candide

Old July 4th 05, 08:21 AM
BEI Design

Candide wrote:
Have an older quilt that has seen a pretty rough life and want
to stabilised/hide one very frayed/chewed up edge. Rather than
make new pieces, etc would like to sew a "beard guard" along
the length of the edge to cover the damage, but cannot find
information or a pattern. As a relative newbie (have not really
sewn since home economics in school, but can handle straight
seems well enough), think this project would be simple.
Hints? Suggestions? My machine is a Pfaff 122.

I am unable to offer assistance, I don't quilt, and googling "Beard
Guard" turns up lots of sites with protective rain-gear for men's
beards....:-}

Maybe they would be able to help over in rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
or one of the other quilting newsgroups.

--
Beverly
delete nospam and .invalid to reply

Old July 4th 05, 04:20 PM
admom

my mother and grandmother used to sew lengths of old, soft white cotton
sheet to the top edge of every quilt they had and made before it went onto
any bed! i would suggest finding a complimentary cotton fabric, and washing
and drying it several times. then, measure the lenth of the quilt you need
to cover, and the width you need to cover. make your own pattern for them,
including seam allowances. it is a daunting task, but i would not machine
sew the new edge on--any new fabric sewn onto old will tend to rip the old
on its own...adding a machine action would tend to accentuate that. it will
also add "pull" to the edge, and give added stress. we just started sewing
on the back side, either a firm whip stitch, or in the case of a removable
edge, a generous basting stitch. (this project was one of the early sewing
things i was assigned by the maternal units. i still do them by hand, out
of respect for the fabric---and the past)

Old July 4th 05, 11:57 PM
Taria

I picked up a beard guard at the thrift store. It amounts to 2 pieces
of fabric about 10" x the width of the quilt + seam allowances.
3 sides are stitched and the last edge is hemmed or finished.
I don't have it right here but if I remember right it had buttonholes
and I guess you stitch buttons on your quilt so you can put it on
and remove to wash. There was pretty embroidery on it so it looked
nice. I guess you could say it was like a long skinny pillow case to
protect the edge of the quilt. HTH.
Taria

Old July 5th 05, 02:05 AM
Candide

Thank you all for the replies!

The "pillowcase" idea seems doable, too bad it is too late to hit the
fabric shops.

Candide

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's
cheaper."
Quentin Crisp 1908 - 1999
_+_+_+_+_+_+__+_+_+_+_

Old July 5th 05, 05:09 PM
Fred Lebow

I am not sure if this will work but you can try a very very light fusible
we call Dream Weave to stop the fraying
It will add very little body to your fabric

http://www.rnkdistributing.com/dreamweavefusible.shtml
Fred

--
Fred Lebow

Floriani Embroidery Sewing and Quilting Products
http://www.handsonsewingschools.com

Old July 5th 05, 08:17 PM
Candide

"Fred Lebow" wrote in message
I am not sure if this will work but you can try a very very light

fusible
we call Dream Weave to stop the fraying
It will add very little body to your fabric

http://www.rnkdistributing.com/dreamweavefusible.shtml
Fred

Fred Lebow

Floriani Embroidery Sewing and Quilting Products
http://www.handsonsewingschools.com
http://www.rnkdistributing.com

Thanks for the suggestion/link!

After faffing around with the quilt last night, decided just to appliqué
fine tulle over the damaged sections. This will stabilised the damaged
areas, and to an extend hide them until can get the time to rebuild.

Old July 10th 05, 02:04 PM
romanyroamer

Hi,
I have seen antique quilts "mended" with muslin or nearly sheer material. It
stabalizes the quiilt and still allowes the original to be seen.... sorry
don't seem to have explained to well. It's late in Australia and I'm more
than ready for bed!....Amelia