Help with Teddy Bear Quilt

Old August 19th 04, 01:29 AM
Boca Jan

Default Help with Teddy Bear Quilt

I thought I posted this earlier but it hasn't shown up, so it could be
that my question didn't go through. If I repeat myself I am sorry.

I am looking for ideas or suggestions on placing "NATHAN" on the quilt. The
material is all teddy bears and I am going to use it in the border, but am
not sure if it shows up well enough. I think I have enough of the brown to
make the letters, but I'm not sure. If you have any ideas, please help out a
newbie.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/poo_de...&.dnm=f71e.jpg

Boca Jan

Old August 19th 04, 02:02 AM
Bob and Kathleen

Great name (my DS's also) Just in case you didn't know it means gift
from God.
Could one of the teddy's have a name tag (like what you wear at
workshops and meeting sometimes) that says "Hi, my name is Nathan"?
Maybe work NAT HAN on a bowtie to make it look like a pattern. Hope
others are more creative than me.
I like the quilt. I did a quilt for my first granddaughter from a
child's book called "No dragons on my quilt" and personalilzed with with
her family name. DH has done a wholecloth for both of the granddaughters
and just finished a top for our stepgrandson (he's 18)
Kathleen in TX
Old August 19th 04, 07:57 AM
Patti

Hullo Jan
I didn't see the name for a little while; but that could have been
because of the angle of the photograph? If you are going to use the
same fabric for the border, that might 'bring it out' more. My first
thought was the same as Mary's - when I read on! - use the bow tie
colour. If you haven't enough of red or brown, you could do alternate
colours? Or, thinking of that, possibly brown and the bear print -
starting with the brown?
It's a delightful quilt.
..
In article , Boca Jan
writes
I thought I posted this earlier but it hasn't shown up, so it could be
that my question didn't go through. If I repeat myself I am sorry.

I am looking for ideas or suggestions on placing "NATHAN" on the quilt. The
material is all teddy bears and I am going to use it in the border, but am
not sure if it shows up well enough. I think I have enough of the brown to
make the letters, but I'm not sure. If you have any ideas, please help out a
newbie.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/poo_de...&.dnm=f71e.jpg

Boca Jan

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 19th 04, 01:48 PM
Queen of Squishies

hmmm........ Took me a long time to see the "Nathan". Somehow you need to
define the edges of the letters. Maybe put them on a solid, darker
background, then onto the quilt?

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
* We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar

Old August 19th 04, 02:24 PM
Boca Jan

Do you think that overcasting them in red would work? I just placed them on
a piece of background material for the picture - it hasn't been sewn
together yet.

It shows up better in person, but not as good as I'd like - thus this
request for help.

Boca Jan

Old August 19th 04, 02:25 PM
Boca Jan

Thank you. I am charmed with how the squares came out also, it is just the
name which I added to the pattern, that has me stumped.

Boca Jan

"Patti" wrote in message
Hullo Jan
I didn't see the name for a little while; but that could have been
because of the angle of the photograph? If you are going to use the
same fabric for the border, that might 'bring it out' more. My first
thought was the same as Mary's - when I read on! - use the bow tie
colour. If you haven't enough of red or brown, you could do alternate
colours? Or, thinking of that, possibly brown and the bear print -
starting with the brown?
It's a delightful quilt.
.
In article , Boca Jan
writes

Old August 19th 04, 06:53 PM
Roberta Zollner

Moving on from what you've already got, you could outline each letter in
dark brown with the widest satin stitch your machine will do. Maybe do a
practice letter elsewhere to see if you like it first. Or if the thread idea
seems too bulky, get some fabric dye pens or crayons and outline with those.
Again, practice first! (You can put masking tape on each side of the area to
be covered for very straight lines.)
Confession: Sometimes when rotary cutting stacks of squares or whatever, I
miss a bit of the white selvedge border and don't have enough fabric to cut
extra. After stitching, if any white still shows, I touch up with a bit of
dye crayon. Hasn't washed out so far!
Roberta in D

Old August 19th 04, 08:18 PM
Boca Jan

Now there's an idea, put each letter into a block and tumble them across the
page. WOO WOO I can re-do the letters making them smaller to fit inside
blocks. I'd better get out my graph paper and plan, plan plan.

You guys are all coming up with some good ideas. Thank you!

Boca Jan
"Emilia" wrote in message
"Queen of Squishies" hicall80 @ mchsi.com wrote in

hmmm........ Took me a long time to see the "Nathan". Somehow you
need to define the edges of the letters. Maybe put them on a solid,
darker background, then onto the quilt?

Karen, Queen of Squishies

What about putting the letters (in the red) inside appliqued building
blocks?

Old August 19th 04, 08:48 PM
Queen of Squishies

Yep, the red would work wonderfully!