A Needlework Package Arrives with a side story!

Old November 1st 03, 10:20 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Default A Needlework Package Arrives with a side story!

A cyberfriend in Australia sent me an interesting needlework kit -
inspired from Kogin embroidery. I treasure it: the interesting fabric
and threads. I already started working on it. Now, for the good part:

When I saw the envelope in the mail, it had a large band of green
adhesive tape across the top which read - in huge letters:
EXAMINED BY U.S. CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION

Off to the left was a partial circular "seal" and I can tell by the
remaining letters it's Dept. of Homeland Security

The "kit" had also been opened.

Well, I'm relieved to know they're taking such pains with a piece of
mail from an Australian college sent to Mrs. Dianne Lewandowski

Husband and I, when we could stop laughing long enough, are absolutely
sure I'm on John Ashcroft's list, since I've signed a few petitions over
the past few months, with some pretty heated remarks. I also asked, in
my remarks, if I was going to BE on his list. I guess I have my answer.
grin

Husband said perhaps that fat chenille needle in the kit sent off alarm
bells. He is sure they probably irradiated the thing.

I'm sure they're trying to find code words in the needlework
instructions. It was probably my last name, Lewandowski: code for
Mohamad Al Sahad.

Anyway, when we stopped joking, I said I had to post about this. I've
gotten lots of mail from Australia, UK, Italy, several provinces of
Canada, Saba, . . . but this is a first. I don't know whether to feel
honored or keep laughing. After all, Australia IS one of our enemies.
No. Wait a minute. They're over there in Iraq right along side of us.
.. . .

Dianne

Old November 1st 03, 10:32 PM
Sorceress

Dianne Lewandowski opined thusly:

A cyberfriend in Australia sent me an interesting needlework kit -
inspired from Kogin embroidery. I treasure it: the interesting fabric
and threads. I already started working on it. Now, for the good part:

When I saw the envelope in the mail, it had a large band of green
adhesive tape across the top which read - in huge letters:
EXAMINED BY U.S. CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION

[snipped]

I know I'll sleep better at night secure in the knowledge that the Homeland
Security Dept has determined one cannot take over the world using a few
fibers and a small piece of fabric. Yup.

--Regards
--Anne
Old November 1st 03, 10:41 PM
FKBABB

When I saw the envelope in the mail, it had a large band of green
adhesive tape across the top which read - in huge letters:
EXAMINED BY U.S. CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION
BRBR

Interesting. Not too long ago, I also received a Kogin kit from Austratia with
a peculiar piece of tape on it. However, after examining it, it became clear
that it was applied by Australian customs. Only difficulty with foreign mail
I've had since 9/ll was with a cross stitch glasses case mailed from Israel
with a West Bank return address. I had to present myself at my local post
office in order to claim it.

Annie
Old November 2nd 03, 01:03 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

Oh, this tape was HUGE. If the letters were any bigger, well, let's
just say it was rather scarey looking. I guess they don't want to be
accused of hiding the fact they're looking.

This package obviously set off something with that big tapestry (I
incorrectly called it chenille before) needle inside. I'm betting
that's it, anyway.

It just struck us so hilariously. I would have expected this from a
country with security risk, but Australia? Yeah, I know all the "what
if's". But I'm not sleeping any better - or worse - tonight. I guess
if we can't employ the millions of Americans now unemployed or partially
employed, we can put them to work checking mail from overseas.

I'm savin' that envelope. It's the best laugh I've had in a very long time.

Dianne

Old November 2nd 03, 04:19 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

After the 9/11 you had some envelopes with some bacterias , sent to
several places in USA.
Exploding envelopes of all sorts have been sent to people in Usa ,
even by other people in Usa.
You might joke about it from here to etenity, A big metal needle is
suspect and might be something you wouldn`t like to open in your
house. harvesting private snail adresses and sending an envelope that
seems `innocent` is one way of spreading terror . And whydo you think
, those who mean Bad , couldn`t use a Friendly country as a Send out
point? As a needleworker , you should thank the autorities who want
you To keep on having your fingers and being able to use them !!!
Not every security measure is a reason for kidding about it.
Any Meatl in Airmail is cheked before it enters the airpost , for the
Airplane`s safety , not only for you .
mirjam

Old November 3rd 03, 11:10 AM
Suzynov

When I saw the envelope in the mail, it had a large band of green
adhesive tape across the top which read - in huge letters:
EXAMINED BY U.S. CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION

The "kit" had also been opened.

Well, I'm relieved to know they're taking such pains with a piece of
mail from an Australian college

Just another example of the stupidity of the Bush administration supposedly
trying to "protect" us! Ashcroft was an idiot when he was Missour's governor
and still is one!

I'm glad we are being kept safe from harmful needlework products while other
stuff is coming in right and left.
Old November 3rd 03, 02:03 PM
Debra

On 03 Nov 2003 11:10:16 GMT, (Suzynov) wrote:

When I saw the envelope in the mail, it had a large band of green
adhesive tape across the top which read - in huge letters:
EXAMINED BY U.S. CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION

The "kit" had also been opened.

Well, I'm relieved to know they're taking such pains with a piece of
mail from an Australian college

Just another example of the stupidity of the Bush administration supposedly
trying to "protect" us! Ashcroft was an idiot when he was Missour's governor
and still is one!

I'm glad we are being kept safe from harmful needlework products while other
stuff is coming in right and left.

Bush has nothing to do with it.

US Customs and Border Protection has been pulling things off ships,
trains, transfer trucks, and planes for random checks for years.
Sometimes random packages, sometimes whole shipping containers,
sometimes whole cargo ships. The agency has existed for a long time
and many more items would be checked if there were enough time and
manpower. What are they looking for? Anything shipped into the
country illegally from animals and automobiles to drugs and
electronics to ivory and gemstones. The list of things they are
looking for is long and varied. Perfectly legal items are often
shipped illegally to avoid paying import taxes and tariffs or to get
around the legal import amount limits, so doing it is a lucrative
business. Illegally shipped items have come into the US from every
country on this planet. And amazing as it seems, the addresses on the
packages don't play a part in the decision to check them or not.

US Customs and Border Protection searches for a lot more than street
drugs, ammunition, illegal immigrants, and biological warfare agents.
But even if that was all they looked for I would still be glad they
did it.
Debra in VA
Old November 3rd 03, 03:17 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Debra wrote:

Bush has nothing to do with it.

He does when he made an executive order to create the hated "Homeland
Security". That name comes right from the Nazi's. Yes, I agree we
needed to change things and do a better job in immigration. But
"Homeland Security" is not making me feel safer - particularly when they
go around telling people to seal themselves up with plastic and duct tape.

US Customs and Border Protection has been pulling things off ships,
trains, transfer trucks, and planes for random checks for years.

Yes. One of my uncles was chief (head of) a Canadian port of entry and
I know all too well (we've had several discussions about this) about
random checks. Usually, they're not random. These officers are well
trained. We don't have enough of them, however.

I'm sure the metal needle had something to do with this. I'm well aware
of the necessity to watch for things. But we seem to have lost our
"compass" in all this "fear mongering". I grew up during the McCarthy
era, when children were told to duck under desks in the event of an
atomic blast, and where everyone was suspicious of communist activites
of their neighbors. I thought we were through with this sort of stuff,
but it seems every 50 or so years we need a reminder of just how far
"fear" can be used.

I wasn't against the opening of this letter/kit. I just thought it was
funny. If an alarm set it off, surely an x-ray or scan of some sort
would have shown what it was without opening it. I'm fine with the
"random" checks. It was the big bold letters on the yellow green tape I
found intimidating and hilarious at the same time.

Dianne

Old November 3rd 03, 04:35 PM
Darla

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 22:32:32 GMT, Sorceress
wrote:

Homeland
Security Dept

Anybody here figured out just exactly what this is for, and why we
have this along with a Defense Department? Is there also a Department
of Redundancy Department?
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old November 3rd 03, 04:37 PM
Darla

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:03:43 GMT, Debra
wrote:

US Customs and Border Protection searches for a lot more than street
drugs, ammunition, illegal immigrants, and biological warfare agents.
But even if that was all they looked for I would still be glad they
did it.

Maybe you can explain why those blithering idiots at the Otay Mesa
truck crossing insist upon pulling hot-oil tankers over for xray,
while still reeking of the recently unloaded hot oil?

When the revolution comes, those clowns will be first against the
wall, shoved in ahead of even architects and lawyers!
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.

funny joke about beads [email protected] Beads 0 December 19th 04 01:05 PM
Story - A MIL Story Jalynne Beads 2 March 8th 04 12:30 PM
Story - The Party Kandice Seeber Beads 0 November 9th 03 12:37 PM
Book:Threads of Light - Suzhou Needlework Lula Needlework 2 August 19th 03 01:24 AM
And so , back to needlework Jan Lennie Needlework 6 July 26th 03 10:22 AM