OT - don't do it!!!

Old March 12th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default OT - don't do it!!!

On 3/11/07 3:08 PM, in article ,
"anne" wrote:

For those of you who use PCs, not MACS, do not, I repeat do not, upgrade
to Windows Vista or buy a new machine with Vista installed unless you
are willing to spend more money to buy new programs that allegedly run
on Vista or to spend hours and hours figuring out how to make old
programs and peripherals (i.e., printers and scanners) work with Vista.

More later if you want details... I need a drink!!!

We have Mac, have always had Macs and will always have Macs. Bill Gates has
a captive audience and knows how to expand his wealth!

Old March 12th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

LizardGumbo wrote:
Brenda Lewis wrote:

And I didn't "fix" my XP to SP2 until this week when I needed to
install the patch for DST.

Oh, well, I had a clean install of XP with SP1 and 2 and all peripherals
when I did it.

My old system was still on Win 95 and I wouldn't have had any need to
upgrade except I was just starting on my medical transcription path and
had to have cable internet, which my old box was just not capable of doing.

A friend of mine just bought a laptop and could only find Vista, but
then................. she had 11 feet of water in her house so all her
other programs and peripherals were drowned and she is starting from
scratch anyway. (She has been just using the computer at work for the
last 18 months, but finally got around to shopping). She says it is
apparently going to be quite a learning curve.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old March 12th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
LizardGumbo

--
Lizard Gumbo
aka Elizabeth

http://www.effervescentdesigns.com
Blog: http://effervescentdesigns.com/effdesblog/

Pop the bubbles to reply.
Old March 12th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Brenda Lewis

m&m wrote:
I thought I was the last hold-out! I haven't upgraded to SP2 yet- I
know I'll have issues with my scanner for one thing.
I've been waiting to get my taxes efiled before I "screw" the whole
thing up with the upgrade. I tried to do it over a year ago, and my
system got so flaky I had to buy a new harddrive & start over with
SP1. I hope all goes well with you.

Well, I haven't tried playing Civ yet. I know that went belly-up for
many fans when SP2 was released, but I think the game has been patched
(by now) to work.

--
Brenda
Help Project Gutenberg--become a Distributed Proofreader
Old March 12th 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Brenda Lewis

lewmew wrote:
Check your speakers - my kids have been known to turn the knob on them
as high as it will go

The speakers are out of everyone's reach and haven't been touched in
over two years (no, I don't dust them). Only the subwoofer has a volume
control anyway.

Old March 12th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

"anne" wrote in message
. ..
For those of you who use PCs, not MACS, do not, I repeat do not, upgrade
to Windows Vista or buy a new machine with Vista installed unless you
are willing to spend more money to buy new programs that allegedly run
on Vista or to spend hours and hours figuring out how to make old
programs and peripherals (i.e., printers and scanners) work with Vista.

More later if you want details... I need a drink!!!

--
another anne, add ingers to reply

LOL! I ALWAYS adopt the good old practice of "Wait and see" - it`s always
served me well in the past, despite geekie friends sneering at my old
fashioned platforms through the years. All the new platforms seem to have a
lot of bugs to be ironed out first!

Pat

Old March 12th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Pat P says...

LOL! I ALWAYS adopt the good old practice of "Wait and see" - it`s always
served me well in the past, despite geekie friends sneering at my old
fashioned platforms through the years. All the new platforms seem to have a
lot of bugs to be ironed out first!

In the not too distant past, I was a non-nerdy geekess ;-) My 7 year-old
PC which was running XP with just Service Pack 1 (it wasn't broke, so I
didn't fix it) was having problems displaying digital images properly.
There was no guarantee that a new monitor would have fixed the problem.
If I had ordered the system just a few days earlier, it would've had XP
and a lot of problems might have been avoided sigh

I've reacquainted myself with non-rctn newsgroups and learned a lot
about Vista. Norton Security is sooooooooo intrusive but since it's free
for the next year, I'll use it. My official Adobe PDF creator wouldn't
work so I've experimented with a bunch of freebies, some good, some bad
and one downright nasty!!!

Since last we typed, something snapped on the shaft of my computer
chair, making the chair very wobbly. The chair was replaced sigh

Need several drinks but I've got a SAS (share-a-stitch, EGA regional
seminar) meeting tonight bigger sigh

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old March 12th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

anne wrote:

Norton Security is sooooooooo intrusive but since it's free
for the next year, I'll use it.

Look into Clam-Win. Fabulous program. I got the technician at
Microsoft to use it. He thought it was super. Best of all, it's free.
It updates all by itself, it works.

My official Adobe PDF creator wouldn't
work so I've experimented with a bunch of freebies, some good, some bad
and one downright nasty!!!

Have you tried PDFEdit?

More good news: WordPerfect X3 now has the ability to convert documents
to pdf, as well as read them. That program just gets better and better.

Dianne
Old March 12th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 3/11/07 4:43 PM, "Lucille" wrote:

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
anne ,in rec.crafts.textiles.needleworkwrote:
and entertained us with
For those of you who use PCs, not MACS, do not, I repeat do not, upgrade
to Windows Vista or buy a new machine with Vista installed unless you
are willing to spend more money to buy new programs that allegedly run
on Vista or to spend hours and hours figuring out how to make old
programs and peripherals (i.e., printers and scanners) work with Vista.

More later if you want details... I need a drink!!!

Lol, make it two drinks from what I have heard. More people on my
local group have reverted to XP in disgust. I know there were XP
detractors but I have found it very, very stable. Have never had to
reformat, do not get wobblies etc. I think with the disastrous 2000
and ME behind them, they finally got it right with XP and am not sure
why they feel we need Vista.

I just know they will have to drag XP from my cold, dead hands lol

The head of our neighborhood computer club, along with several engineers
that are members, all said Vista isn't worth the trouble. Programs wont
work and they can't find any wonderful innovations that they can't live
without.

They all said to stick with XP if you can.

But, and it's a big but, I was thinking about a laptop and when I asked in
Staples what they had, they had zero with XP. Every single computer in the
store was preloaded with Vista.

Isn't this the standard Microsoft procedure? Upgrade the system with what
doesn't quite work, regardless of ballyhooed PR campaigns, then you'll have
to pay for help pretty soon, etc. They're notorious in the business for
releasing "finished" products that others would look upon as still glorified
Beta versions.

When Apple switched over to the OSX systems some years back, at least they
made sure that it can run in "classic" backward compatible mode. And a lot
of software was upgradeable for relatively nominal amounts to the newer
system. The only crashing, disaster I've had in 23 years of MACs, and pcs
along the way - a Microsoft tech guy was helping me with a perpetual bug in
Office 2000, and under his direction totally locked up and crashed the
system in my older machine. So badly that after 3 days of looking at UNIX
screens, working with Apple, and other engineers that know tons more than me
- it was just forget it, the command structure had fried up. Given this was
a machine that I had upgraded a board so it could run the OSX system - and
as a result of following the Microsoft guy's instructions it was impossible
to get back to that part of the system, and the machine would only run in
Classic. Microsoft's answer - well, we're sorry - but there's nothing we
can do - call Apple and the Board maker (sonnet) who were really helpful,
and disgusted. Even with the newest version of Office for my MAC (which
is a pretty new, quite powerful workstation) the only software that ever,
ever has bugs is that. Microsoft is just happy because of their global
market share, IMHO, to put out products that have errors, hoping the
percentage isn't enough to "hurt" them, their image lives through problems,
and oh, well, those who are really having problems - well, deal with it.
They'll kind of help. So the answer is to periodically strip out the
software because it develops some internal conflicts, and then re-install it
every so often.

Unless you have to have a PC for work - heck - get a new MAC laptop - with
the new system you can run Windows, install your prior version, and you can
also use the much more friendly and reliable MAC system for everything else.

ellice