on topic: a neat thing I forgot to mention earlier today

Old March 9th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Default on topic: a neat thing I forgot to mention earlier today

A friend of mine who understands how much fun a challenge is gave me an
unusual gift: academic hoods. A collection of nine hoods from various
colleges. (someone had *waaay* to many degrees!) She said I could use
the fabric for backing holiday ornaments, but we had great fun imagining
several possible scenarios, including turning them into shawls/jackets
to wear over prom gowns/eveningwear, using the fabrics for a crazy
quilt, making a crazy quilt vest/jacket, etc. Fabrics are satins,
velvets, and grosgrain ribbon-like fabrics. Colors are intense. Cool
stuff. Lots to think about/plan!

sue

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
http://www.dirtylinen.com
Old March 9th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 3/8/07 9:11 PM, "Susan Hartman" wrote:

A friend of mine who understands how much fun a challenge is gave me an
unusual gift: academic hoods. A collection of nine hoods from various
colleges. (someone had *waaay* to many degrees!) She said I could use
the fabric for backing holiday ornaments, but we had great fun imagining
several possible scenarios, including turning them into shawls/jackets
to wear over prom gowns/eveningwear, using the fabrics for a crazy
quilt, making a crazy quilt vest/jacket, etc. Fabrics are satins,
velvets, and grosgrain ribbon-like fabrics. Colors are intense. Cool
stuff. Lots to think about/plan!

sue

Wow - that's quite a gift. We laugh at our very bright Carnegie-Mellon ones
- they're plaid. Very plaid. Of course the liners are different depending
on the degree area - but still.

ellice

Old March 9th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mary

Before you do anything to the hoods, you might find it really
interesting to find out what the degrees are and what institutions
awarded them. Each academic subject has its own color (for example,
"law" is pink), and each school has its own color combination, so you
can "read" an academic hood to find out what subject at what school.
A company that manufacturers academic robes and hoods can help you.
Once you know all that data, you could make a really neat crazy quilt
and incorporate fancy embroidery naming the degrees!

Old March 9th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Brenda Lewis

ellice wrote:
I don't know - 1 person, 9 degrees with hoods??? I'd guess some of them are
honorary. That's a lot of graduate degrees. But, it's still a great
challenge.

Were they all given to one person? It could be a family collection.
(Yeah Mom, I got my degree. Here--you have an attic. Can you keep this
for me? Thanks. It'll just be for a little while. *Repeat for siblings
2-9.*)

--
Brenda
Help Project Gutenberg--become a Distributed Proofreader
Old March 9th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 3/9/07 9:06 AM, "Brenda Lewis" wrote:

ellice wrote:
I don't know - 1 person, 9 degrees with hoods??? I'd guess some of them are
honorary. That's a lot of graduate degrees. But, it's still a great
challenge.

Were they all given to one person? It could be a family collection.
(Yeah Mom, I got my degree. Here--you have an attic. Can you keep this
for me? Thanks. It'll just be for a little while. *Repeat for siblings
2-9.*)

That's what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure that my ex-husband has our
little collection - though I think we decided with one of them to just keep
1 between us (they cost so much) as they were identical. And of course,
the Masters are little hoods, while the doctoral ones are the really long
ones - not to mention sleeve lengths and styles changing with degree
progression.

Anyhow - it's definitely a fun thing. Sue does have some interesting
friends - to go with her interesting self!

ellice

Old March 9th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Mary wrote:
Before you do anything to the hoods, you might find it really
interesting to find out what the degrees are and what institutions
awarded them.

Oh, they're all labeled, at least year/institution. Most of them were
honorary doctorates.

Old March 9th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

But why in the world would you have 9 degrees?

Ummmm, Cheryl, remember my ex? The longer you go to school, the longer
you can postpone having to get a job. He would've been perfectly happy
to have 9 degrees and retire at 65 having never worked full-time at
anything.

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 1/26/07 -- Classy Lady in Coral (JCS) -- done in purple to
match the companion piece

WIP: housewarming gifts, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old March 9th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka Kammerer

Mary wrote:
Before you do anything to the hoods, you might find it really
interesting to find out what the degrees are and what institutions
awarded them. Each academic subject has its own color (for example,
"law" is pink),

Sorry to pick a nit, but law is generally purple.
Music is pink. Poor business is drab brown!

Best wishes,
Ericka

I am sorry. I forgot to mention this. Harry Glass 0 July 1st 06 09:16 PM
I forgot to mention Flossy Quilting 10 August 30th 04 08:49 AM
I almost forgot to mention... (AD AD?) Kalera Stratton Beads 8 April 2nd 04 06:20 AM
And of course I forgot to mention something... Pirjo Ilvesvuori Yarn 1 July 5th 03 02:47 PM