sweaters

Old January 18th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default sweaters

I am fascinated by this method - I have knit top down before but always
raglans. It took me a while to see it in my mind, but now I think I
can.

Old January 18th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

The method just seems so logical as a way for a good knitter to make a
tailored garment without a lot of stitch up; that I thought it must be a
traditional method. Note that Wooly unvented the same method. However, I do
not find it in my traditional knitting references. But, that is OK. Those
books leave out most of the good stuff any way.

Aaron.
"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
AAron it isn`t my original idea , i saw it somewhere and made my first
one , later in USA [in 81-82], i bought a Mon Tricot knitting
dictionary and ReMet this pattern ,, i was very glad to do it again.
and ever since make one every several years.
I prefer it to the knitting up , fits better ,,
mirjam
ps this time i am using the outer idea , but i wilmake a delicate lace
, and no cables ,,, the panels i made purl side up with intention to
knit/embroider tiny flowers on them
mirjam

That is certainly a very interesting approach to knitting an Aran. I

printed
it out on archival paper and put in my knittng notebook.

I am very interested in the provenance of his method.

I thought that Pre 1900, Aran sweaters were knitted in the round from the
bottom up for their own consumption, and sometime before WW1 they started
knitting for market.

My understanding is that the knit for market Aran sweaters were knit as
front and back panels and stitched together. The sweater construction

method
that you are laying out below, does not strike me as suitable for a knit

for
market industry. Thus, the method below may well be a traditional

sweater
making method which needs to be preserved for future generations.

Aaron

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
I am rather fond on knitting everything without a seam, Thus my new
turkiz sweater [+ delicate one hole lace :::] will be knitted "the
Aran way" Knit collar than you knit 2 Side panel that come on the
shoulder . Than you cast on stiches on side of panel , knit the middle
stich on the collar and cast on stiches on 2nd panel ,,, knit this to
wanted legth of arm hole [ remembering that arm hole has already the
upper panel stiches as well as intended casting on of stiches on the
underside of armpit ,, knit the same on the other side [panel casr
on+collar + panel cast on ,,, , knit one of those panels, cast on
armpit stiches , knit second panel , cast on second armpit and knit as
long [ and in which wanted pattern you want] as you need/want finnish
as wanted ,,,, Back to arm holes , knit panel stiches , cast on
stiches on 1 side of armhole cast stiches on armpit stiches , and
cast on stiches on other side , knit downwards , and calculate when
you decrease stiches all over the length of the sleeve ,,, do the same
others side ,,,
mirjam

Old January 19th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

The most logical thing and a change from raglans and Neat
See my source that looked like my first ones ,,
MON TRICOT , 1300 pattern stiches , advice , hints, Knitting
Dictionary , 1981. The True Aran Knit , page 125.
Ps have you read ? A History of hand knitting , By Richard Rutt ???
mirjam

Old January 19th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

The Rutt book is on my reading list but I have not gotten to it yet, as is
Mary Wright's book on knitting in Wales. I will add the Mon Tricot to my
list of books that I am looking for. Thanks!

Aaron
"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
The most logical thing and a change from raglans and Neat
See my source that looked like my first ones ,,
MON TRICOT , 1300 pattern stiches , advice , hints, Knitting
Dictionary , 1981. The True Aran Knit , page 125.
Ps have you read ? A History of hand knitting , By Richard Rutt ???
mirjam

The method just seems so logical as a way for a good knitter to make a
tailored garment without a lot of stitch up; that I thought it must be a
traditional method. Note that Wooly unvented the same method. However, I

do
not find it in my traditional knitting references. But, that is OK.

Those
books leave out most of the good stuff any way.

Aaron.

Moth eaten baby sweaters!!!!!!!!!! Linda Yarn 24 November 27th 04 04:23 AM
Moth eaten baby sweaters!!!!!!!!!! Linda Yarn 0 November 23rd 04 07:16 AM
Washing wool sweaters GSHEPDOG Yarn 3 October 23rd 04 06:10 AM
Sweaters Karen in MN Yarn 3 January 22nd 04 06:25 AM
Alice Starmore -- necks on fishermen sweaters H Schinske Yarn 7 August 23rd 03 07:21 PM