who knows old sewing machines well?

Old October 27th 05, 03:04 AM
jmercede jmercede is offline
Junior Member

Default who knows old sewing machines well?

i am just wondering, i have an old one... maybe similar to a 66 or 99, but not quite. the legs are made of wood, not metal.
my question is.... there is a lever that says back tack underneath those words are numbers, what do they mean? i am used to sewing on a newer machine... and even at that know very basic info.
so any info would be wonderful! thanks so much jennifer
Old October 27th 05, 08:47 AM
Kate Dicey

jmercede wrote:
i am just wondering, i have an old one... maybe similar to a 66 or 99,
but not quite. the legs are made of wood, not metal.
my question is.... there is a lever that says back tack underneath
those words are numbers, what do they mean? i am used to sewing on a
newer machine... and even at that know very basic info.
so any info would be wonderful! thanks so much jennifer

Neither my 66 (1923 hand crank) nor my 99 (1949 body with 58 motor -
long story!) have this feature. Can you post a picture or send me one?
If I can't help you, I know a whole bunch of folk who can, but they
will need nice clear pix!

BTW, table legs mean nothing, as all the different heads were housed in
many different table styles over the years, and the same machines
appeared in treadle, hand crank and electric motor versions.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 29th 05, 09:10 AM
Desiree Jenkins

IMS wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 03:04:25 +0100, jmercede
wrote:

i am just wondering, i have an old one... maybe similar to a 66 or 99,
but not quite. the legs are made of wood, not metal.
my question is.... there is a lever that says back tack underneath
those words are numbers, what do they mean? i am used to sewing on a
newer machine... and even at that know very basic info.
so any info would be wonderful! thanks so much jennifer

You may have a spaciality machine, rather than a general-use home model.
Can you post a picture somewhere so we can see what it looks like?

-Irene

--------------
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
--Mae West
--------------

it's a 66-18, I have one. the back-tack is the reverse stitch, the
numbers are how many stitches per inch it sews. (i learned to sew on
this machine)

--
Desiree Jenkins
Old October 29th 05, 03:58 PM
Ann Knight

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:04:25 UTC, jmercede
wrote:

i am just wondering, i have an old one... maybe similar to a 66 or 99,
but not quite. the legs are made of wood, not metal.
my question is.... there is a lever that says back tack underneath
those words are numbers, what do they mean?

I've never seen one that actually says 'backtack,' but I think you're
talking about the stitch length lever. If your machine has reverse
it's not terribly old; anyway, the numbers on the dial are probably
stitches-per-inch.