Suggestions Needed

Old September 2nd 03, 07:14 PM
C. Mathews

Default Suggestions Needed

I need suggestions from the group.
Here is my dilemma.
I have fallen heir to some calico prints and want to make a scrappy quilt.
Keep in mind this is the first quilt of this type I have ever
attempted...and the only the second quilt made.
Does anyone have a favorite old/classic way to use up these scraps?
I would need directions, in tiny baby steps.
Thanks!
Carla

Old September 2nd 03, 08:27 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

9-patch. If you use the same fabric for the odd (four) squares, and as
alternate blocks, you'll have a scrappy Single Irish Chain.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old September 2nd 03, 09:57 PM
The Brown Family

Check out www.quilterscache.com or www.blockcentral.com. You can choose
from a gazillion blocks.

Lorraine

Old September 2nd 03, 10:25 PM
Monique Reed

You can get great results by combining simple blocks. Try this:

Row one: solid background block, quarter-square triangle block with
background top and bottom and scraps left and right, repeat..

Row two: quarter-square triangle block with background left and right
and scrap top and bottom, scrappy nine-patch, repeat

Repeated, this makes a glorious pattern of stars. I've got a work in
progress pieced like this, where the background is Kona Snow and all
the scraps are prints. The quilt is yellows in the middle and shades
out toward green and orange and pink and blue, etc. with the corners
being dark reds, dark blues, dark greens, and browns. There are
Dutchman's puzzle blocks in the corners, and a border of flying geese
that shade all through the rainbow running round.

Something like this takes some planning to get the shading to work,
but it is worth it, and it uses up a LOT of little pieces.

Monique in TX

Old September 2nd 03, 11:24 PM
WHOLEYLADY

In article , "C. Mathews"
writes:

Does anyone have a favorite old/classic way to use up these scraps?

Yesterday on Simply Quilts, Billie Lauder taught her "Odds and Ends" quilt.
This was an old show and I love this quilt. (My family does not . . . . they
claim that their favorite clothes go missing too often.) Try this link
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting...V_3307_1381723
,00.html
The quilt is basically a four patch or half square trangle bordered by
courthouse step strips. The trick is to alternate the courthouse strips between
light and dark. The above link has a picture of part of the quilt.

Old September 3rd 03, 12:01 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Do you have a quicky way to do that quarter square triangles? Someone in my
guild did a trick, but I haven't made any qsts yet, believe it or not.

Your quilt sounds pretty. Can't wait for pictures. I love scrappy!
--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

Old September 3rd 03, 06:39 AM
melinda

C. Mathews wrote:
I need suggestions from the group.
Here is my dilemma.
I have fallen heir to some calico prints and want to make a scrappy quilt.
Keep in mind this is the first quilt of this type I have ever
attempted...and the only the second quilt made.
Does anyone have a favorite old/classic way to use up these scraps?
I would need directions, in tiny baby steps.
Thanks!
Carla

My first quilt is a scrappy quilt of sorts, picture in the link below
under beading, quilting, etc...

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old September 3rd 03, 04:08 PM
Monique Reed

Um, since the scraps in each block are different, no. The whole
blasted thing was cut and sewn piece by piece. I only speed cut the
backing squares and triangles. When it is done, I am going to call it
"It seemed like a good idea at the time."

Monique