New Serger

Old September 1st 03, 01:18 AM
Karen Novakoski

Default New Serger

I am starting to look around at sergers. I may be in the market to actually
purchase a good used one or a decently priced new one. I would like to have
some "testimonials" on the sergers you own. What features do I need to look
for and what isn't necessary. I have a fairly new Viking sewing machine
with most of the bells and whistles so I "think" I don't need top of the
line.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Karen

Old September 1st 03, 02:46 AM
Ann

I would recommend the 4-thread versus the 3-thread. It's been a long while
since I've used my serger but there are some seams/techniques that require
the 4 thread, and it sure is nice to have the versatility.

Ann

Old September 1st 03, 03:22 AM
Jalynne

yes, definitely go for the 4 thread. It's becoming pretty standard these days,
actually. Also make sure that it has a differential feed. It's also helpful to have
a free arm, and the ability to serge without the cutting blade. I really like using
my serger for finishing work on dresses as well as using it for making napkins,
sewing on knits, and the outside edges of potholders before i bind them.
--
Jalynne

Old September 1st 03, 03:39 AM
taria

I second the differential feed. I have a Bernette 334DS and it has
served me well.
TAria

"Ann" wrote in message
[...]

Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm
Old September 1st 03, 10:42 AM
Kate Dicey

Karen Novakoski wrote:

I am starting to look around at sergers. I may be in the market to actually
purchase a good used one or a decently priced new one. I would like to have
some "testimonials" on the sergers you own. What features do I need to look
for and what isn't necessary. I have a fairly new Viking sewing machine
with most of the bells and whistles so I "think" I don't need top of the
line.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Karen

Take a look at my web site - there's a serger on there that appears in
lots of places, plus a comparison between my Huskylock and a similarly
aged Frister & Rossman.

My essentials:

Good stitch quality.
The ability to cope with 4 layers of Polartec 300 *AND* gossamer fine
silk chiffon, and everything in between.
A very good quality rolled hem - both 2 and 3 thread.
Differential feed - prevents all sorts of problems!
Ease of threading - less important to me than the other stuff.
I also like the memory on mine, coupled with the sewing advisor, that
tells me where to start with tension and stitch length for different
typed of fabric and stitch combinations.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old September 1st 03, 01:21 PM
CHARLES MURPHY

I have a Janome that I love: It is easy to thread, uses SM needles,
differential feed, extra feet available for rolled hem, pearls, for under
$300.
I think unless you are into lots clothing construction anything else is
overkill.
--
Mauvice in Central WI USA

Old September 2nd 03, 06:10 AM
melinda

Karen Novakoski wrote:
I am starting to look around at sergers. I may be in the market to actually
purchase a good used one or a decently priced new one. I would like to have
some "testimonials" on the sergers you own. What features do I need to look
for and what isn't necessary. I have a fairly new Viking sewing machine
with most of the bells and whistles so I "think" I don't need top of the
line.

Any help would be appreciated.
Karen

I like Elnas. DM has a 3 reel bought new, I have a 5 reel bought used,
both are good workers although mine being a little newer and heavier
duty will take the heavier materials better.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old September 2nd 03, 12:53 PM
Pat in Virginia

My recommendation is to buy one that gives dealer support in the
way of lessons. Serger is totally different from regular SM, so
is not necessarily easy to learn. BTDT .... still clueless. In
fact I talked about this to my lqs/sm dealer and she said to
bring it in and she or her employee will give me a private
lesson. (I bought this Singer years ago in another country, so
she is doing this as a courtesy. I am a good customer and did buy
very good Pfaff from her.) So, Karen, ask about the classes.
PAT in VA/USA