Is bagging a good method for a newbie?

Old August 30th 03, 03:29 PM
Diana Curtis

Default Is bagging a good method for a newbie?

Im thinking the term bagging is what we might call birthing a quilt...that
is.. sewing the three layers together and then turning the thing right sides
out? If we are talking about the same thing it is quite possible to birth or
bag a quilt nicely. I used to do mine that way too since binding isnt a
favorite activity, but now I prefer to bind since it looks less bulky at the
edges.
But, there are no quilt police and if you dont feel ready to tackle binding,
birthing certainly works!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Lynn Tocker" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've managed to complete my quilt top in two sections and have pinned one

of
them to the batting and backing, but have a very bad case of nerves, and
remembered reading in one of the books that bagging was a simple

alternative
to using binding. Has anyone (relatively inexperienced) used this method?
I wondered whether it might be tidier, so am ready to take the pins out

and
do it if you recommend it, instead. Any suggestions gratefully received.
I've been knocking off at 2am for the last four nights, and my cat is
getting fed up with me, and the quilt. 8-(

Nell, Thank you for your suggestion as to poking a needle into poly-cotton
sheeting, - I did it, almost, and it was bl***y awful, so you've saved me

an
awful lot of grief on that. :-) Have got some unbleached calico instead,
as I couldn't find anywhere that had cotton sheeting by the metre. I've

put
it through the hot wash a few times and given it an iron when damp, and it
feels lovely.
Lynn

Old August 30th 03, 04:05 PM
Roberta Zollner

Certainly, with a few caveats. If you plan to quilt it, be aware that it's
very easy to shift a little bit even if you basted it well. So you could end
up a bit short on one side and a bit lumpy on the other. For this reason,
bagging or birthing is usually better for tied quilts. (And this is why most
books tell you to cut the backing and batting a few inches larger all
around.)

If it will get a lot of use, the seamed edge will probably wear out faster
than a bound edge, so you might want to consider inserting some cording.

On the whole, I think binding is a lot simpler!
Roberta in D

Old August 30th 03, 04:35 PM
Julia in MN

Another way to avoid making a binding is to allow a few extra inches on
all sides of your backing. Then when you are done quilting or tying,
trim the batting next to the quilt top. Trim the excess backing so that
it is an inch or so bigger all around than the quilt top and batting.
Fold the raw edge over to meet the edge of the quilt top. Then fold
that over the quilt top and stitch it down, either by hand or by
machine. If it wears out along the edges, you can always cut it off and
add a "real" binding. The advantage of doing this rather than what you
are suggesting is that you allow a little more for things to shift a bit
while you are quilting or tying the quilt.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old August 31st 03, 02:22 AM
KittyG

Hey Lynn,
I birthed my second quilt, it turned out great and I wish I had done it with
my first, which is STILL waiting for the binding. It's a great way to get
them done while you are still newish and looks nice and finished.

kitty in phx
~a binding chicken~
--
Remove "s" in email to respond.
http://community.webshots.com/user/kittykatchee

Old August 31st 03, 02:34 AM
Lynn Tocker

Hi Roberta,
Uneven bulk is what I thought might be the possible drawback, especially as
my quilt, like Topsy, grew seemingly of its own volition. I am intending to
use the Georgia Bonesteel method of joining it. and thought if I could get
one good looking finished long edge, this would be a big step forward.
Thanks for your response.
Bestest, Lynn

Old August 31st 03, 02:38 AM
Lynn Tocker

Hi Julia,

I like this idea :-) Thank you. It's getting so exciting, my cat is
having a nap to save herself for the yahoo-ing later.
Lynn

"Julia in MN" wrote in message
Another way to avoid making a binding is to allow a few extra inches on
all sides of your backing. Then when you are done quilting or tying,
trim the batting next to the quilt top. Trim the excess backing so that
it is an inch or so bigger all around than the quilt top and batting.
Fold the raw edge over to meet the edge of the quilt top. Then fold
that over the quilt top and stitch it down, either by hand or by
machine. If it wears out along the edges, you can always cut it off and
add a "real" binding. The advantage of doing this rather than what you
are suggesting is that you allow a little more for things to shift a bit
while you are quilting or tying the quilt.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Newbie - Looking for info, tutorials, good websites asennad Doll Houses 4 September 21st 04 10:43 PM
Good news friends !!!!!!Good news friends !!!!!! [email protected] Doll Houses 1 May 26th 04 12:06 AM
Good news friends !!!!!!Good news friends !!!!!! [email protected] Carving 0 May 25th 04 07:50 AM
$1,000.00 Wish List Raane Jewelry 20 March 4th 04 04:00 PM
newbie intro Farleyaw Doll Houses 2 January 12th 04 01:16 AM