binding question

Old August 28th 03, 05:48 PM
Kathy in CA

I never even thought of rounded corners! That would be excellant if adding
separate binding I will have to try that on one of my quilts.
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

"Patti" wrote in message
There is a well-known quilter who lives in this area whose quilts often
win things and her 'trade mark' is her rounded corners. I have always
been wary of trying them, in case it would look like imitation! but
sometimes they might be just the thing. Anyone got any views on when a
quilt would look good with rounded corners?
.
In article , "juliasb(nospam)"
writes
I do binding sometimes with mitered corners and other times with
straight corners. Much depends on the quilt and what it is I want to
achieve. I am 'assuming that mitering the corners is the more
preferred way, but is it really considered 'wrong' to do a straight
binding?
Any thoughts are welcome. What do others do with the corners?
Rounded corners are no problem for me...but maybe for others...
juliasb

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old August 28th 03, 10:04 PM
Julia in MN

Some of the "Quilt in a Day" books also have good instructions for doing
the mitered corner. However, they don't tell you to use a diagonal seam
for sewing the strips together. I don't like the way they finish binding
where the ends meet. I like to have a diagonal seam there, too, though
that does get a little tricky.

Julia in MN

Laurie G. wrote:

Mitered for me! I found the instructions in Harriet Hargrave's books to
be the best. A bit hard to understand, maybe, but in the end, the
bindings are absolutely the nicest looking.

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old August 28th 03, 11:33 PM
Butterfly

For a super description with 'drawings' go to:
http://myquilts.hypermart.net/borders.htm
Our own Rita has this and many other Lessons.
HTH
Butterfly

Old August 29th 03, 12:55 AM
Pati Cook

If you do rounded corners, be sure to cut your binding on the bias. I used to
do rounded corners on the prequilted panels I finished to display at the
store, a lot faster to do. But I also used prepackaged bias binding for
them. Now I find that for straight sides and corners I can cut the binding on
the cross grain and it takes a lot less fabric, and fewer seams usually, and
the mitered corners are so easy to do.

Pati, in Phx

Old August 29th 03, 01:47 AM
Julia in MN

I do something similar -- I stop 1/4 inch from the corner with my needle
down. Then I turn the quilt as if to stitch down the next side, and sew
BACKWARDS (in reverse) to the edge of the quilt that you just sewed the
binding on. Pull the quilt out enough so that you can fold the binding
up and back down. The thread from where you backed up will help to guide
you where to start stitching the next side.

Julia in MN

Pati Cook wrote:

One thing that I have done since reading it somewhe when sewing to the
1/4" before the corner, I then sew diagonally to the corner, instead of
trying to backtack. You get a very clean line, and the fold of the miter
stays a bit easier. YMMV. But I love doing it this way.

Pati, in Phx

Mel Rimmer wrote:

In article ers.com,
The Brown Family writes

This is how I do mine.

http://www.cottonwoodquilts.com/miteredbinding.htm

I always seem to have good results

This is a great thread - I am just about to bind a quilt for the first
time (I have always birthed them before) and I'm getting really stressed
about it. Just ask LN, I was picking her brains about it at length last
night! If anyone else has any really essential tips for binding, could
they please post them in the next 12 hours, because that's when I plan
to do it. It would be really annoying if I mess up badly and then
someone posts the tip that would have solved the problem the day
afterwards.
--
Mel Rimmer

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old August 29th 03, 05:17 PM
Walt & Cheri Carroll

Sorry for shouting on the subject line. But I "found" this book a couple of
years ago and just "love" it. It is called "A Fine Finish - New Bindings
for Award-Winning Quilts" by Cody Mazuran.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/15...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg (here is a
link to the front cover of the book)
Once you read this book, you will never have another question about
bindings. Such wonderful innovative ideas from the traditional to the
contemporary. It has the easiest method of cutting bias strips (even from
FQ's). She even says that unless you need to do curves...don't waste your
time on bias strips (I love this woman). I borrowed this book from our
local guild and had to run out and buy my own copy.

Cody explains that when it comes to binding, most people just slap on any
old thing. She believes that the binding deserves as much thought and
planning as the rest of the quilt. I haven't been quilting very long, but
long enough to know that she was on to something good. NAYY.

Cheri
On Vancouver Island, Canada

"juliasb(nospam)" wrote in message
I do binding sometimes with mitered corners and other times with
straight corners. Much depends on the quilt and what it is I want to
achieve. I am 'assuming that mitering the corners is the more preferred
way, but is it really considered 'wrong' to do a straight binding?
Any thoughts are welcome. What do others do with the corners?
Rounded corners are no problem for me...but maybe for others...
juliasb
--
come and journey with me...
from darkness into New Life

---

Old August 29th 03, 06:36 PM
Lisa Ellis

While I don't always spend that much time planning my quilts, I do spend
a lot of time deciding on the bindings. I preview materials, trying
different varations before I come up with the right one. I hate to use
solid material for the binding. I tend to like bindings that are darker
than the borders, except when the borders are very light. Then I like
to use a similiar, but different material.

lisae

Walt & Cheri Carroll wrote:
Sorry for shouting on the subject line. But I "found" this book a couple of
years ago and just "love" it. It is called "A Fine Finish - New Bindings
for Award-Winning Quilts" by Cody Mazuran.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/15...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg (here is a
link to the front cover of the book)

(snipped for brevity)

Old August 29th 03, 07:47 PM
Donna in Idaho

I've had that book for a long long time. I agree - it's a great book.
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

. ca...

Old August 30th 03, 02:40 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Walt & Cheri Carroll" wrote:

[...]

Just for fun, I decided to see if this book (out of print) is available
anywhere. There are two or three copies around -- ranging in price from
$65 to $108! Yipes! I'd love to see it, but not at that price.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas

http://home.earthlink.net/~s_foster
Old August 30th 03, 02:42 AM
Pat in Virginia

I've sung these praises before and I'll sing again!
Rodale's Fantastic Finishes is a Fantastic Book! It has *SO* many
options and solutions to unusual situations ... a fine book for
personal, guild, and county libraries. NAYY.
PAT in VA/USA

Sandy Foster wrote:

In article ,
"Walt & Cheri Carroll" wrote:

Sorry for shouting on the subject line. But I "found" this book a couple of
years ago and just "love" it. It is called "A Fine Finish - New Bindings
for Award-Winning Quilts" by Cody Mazuran.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/15...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg (here is a
link to the front cover of the book)...cut...