Crazy Quilt Help for a Quilter

Old July 25th 09, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Default Crazy Quilt Help for a Quilter

Hi Guys,
One of the men -- Dr. Zachary Smith aka Doc -- from over at RCTQ
(the quilting newsgroup) needs a Latin translation for "crazy quilt". I
told him to post his request here because I know we have several Italian
stitchers & designers who lurk but don't often post. I wanted to let
you all know that he is legit -- not some spammer. If he posts himself,
then folks can more easily contact him directly with a translation if
that's what they prefer to do. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old July 26th 09, 03:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Zachary Smith

Thanks Mary,

OK, consider this my request, 'cuz it is.
We (DW and myself) just thought it would be a neat embellishment to
embroider "crazy quilt" upon a crazy quilt in Latin.

As Mary intimates, "Reply to author"/email is fine too if you prefer.
Thanks.

Doc Smith

Old July 26th 09, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Well, I took a whole lot of Latin in college. So just for fun, I played with
this a bit.

There is no good way to translate quilt. Vestis for a blanket, and that is
pretty much a catch all clothing, blankets and other coverings. Pluma can
mean featherbed which is sort of a quilt.

Now to crazy - is basically rabid - all sort of nasty connotations there....

So off to the thesaurus I went

Insane could be demens or insanum
Silly is leviculus
Absurd futurus

Go play on a Latin/English translation page and have fun.

Cheryl

On 7/25/09 10:49 PM, in article
, "Dr.

Old July 27th 09, 11:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sara

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 09:09:02 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Insane could be demens or insanum
Silly is leviculus
Absurd futurus

Yay Latin!

What do you think about jocosus (playful)?

Quilt is rather more problematic. My New College dictionary gives
lodix (f) or stragulum (n) for blanket, but I'm not familiar with
those. Didn't come up much in Livy or Caesar. I have my Lewis and
Short downstairs and I'll check citations if anyone want me to follow
up on those.

Sara, AB Latin '82 (which explains the rust)
Old July 27th 09, 12:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

What about Demens [crazy] Propago [layered ] Lodix [blanket ]

Ages ago ,,, Latin ,
mirjam
Old July 27th 09, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

mirjam wrote:
What about Demens [crazy] Propago [layered ] Lodix [blanket ]

Ages ago ,,, Latin ,
mirjam

I'm not sure that Doc is reading the group for responses so I will copy
& paste this to RCTQ for him. Thanks Mirjam, I thought you might have
something to add :-). CiaoMeow ^;;^

Old July 27th 09, 02:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Jul 27, 8:53*am, Tia Mary wrote:
mirjam wrote:
What about Demens [crazy] Propago [layered ] Lodix [blanket ]

Ages ago ,,, Latin ,
mirjam

I'm not sure that Doc is reading the group for responses so I will copy
& paste this to RCTQ for him. *Thanks Mirjam, I thought you might have
something to add :-). *CiaoMeow ^;;^

--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ * (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at *http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

I'm reading it - this thread at any rate - and I may have other
questions from time to time as I re/learn about needlework of various
kinds. The women on my mothers side were seriously into just about
everything going back at least three generations (that I know of).
Records beyond that point are long lost on the far side of the pond...

There is also a healthy discussion of this topic going on in
alt.language.latin. If I'd had my act together when I began this
quest, I'd have cross-posted it to all three groups, but I didn't know
about this group until Mary's recommendation, and little did I realize
the intricacies involved in what I naïvely thought would be a
relatively simple translation - delirus/excors/fatuus/ineptus/
leviculus/ridiculus (all adjectives meaning silly) me. I'll do that
when everyone seems argued out or gets bored with it. :-)

Doc

Old July 27th 09, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Janet[_3_]

On Jul 25, 4:12*pm, Tia Mary wrote:
Hi Guys,
* * One of the men -- Dr. Zachary Smith aka Doc -- from over at RCTQ
(the quilting newsgroup) needs a Latin translation for "crazy quilt". *I
told him to post his request here because I know we have several Italian
stitchers & designers who lurk but don't often post. *I wanted to let
you all know that he is legit -- not some spammer. *If he posts himself,
then folks can more easily contact him directly with a translation if
that's what they prefer to do. *CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ * (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at *http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

I have a friend who is a high school Latin teacher. I've emailed her
and will post when she replies.

Janet

Old July 28th 09, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

On Jul 27, 3:53*pm, Tia Mary wrote:
mirjam wrote:
What about Demens [crazy] Propago [layered ] Lodix [blanket ]

Ages ago ,,, Latin ,
mirjam

I'm not sure that Doc is reading the group for responses so I will copy
& paste this to RCTQ for him. *Thanks Mirjam, I thought you might have
something to add :-). *CiaoMeow ^;;^

--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ * (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at *http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

You are Welcome Tia Mary ,
of course it was only a try on my side , but i weighted all the
possibilities and came up with this one , I think qwe really should
look how it translates ito Italian /French and other Latin langugaes .

There are known Crazy Quilts from the Crusaders time , One
[historical] expert claimed that this were the first recorded Crazy
quilts . We don`t have a `Real Hebrew` name for them , although in the
Bible there is a place were the `Sewers of blankets` are
mentioned .brrr it slipped my mind at this moment where exactly, i
must check my lectures ..
mirjam

Not Crazy Quilt judyanna Quilting 6 July 23rd 09 04:07 AM
new quilter and crazy quilt for twins thoughtful1 Quilting 5 March 3rd 09 09:50 PM
crazy quilt Karen, Queen of Squishies Quilting 5 September 8th 08 06:18 PM
A Crazy Quilt Veronica M. in East LA. Quilting 2 February 1st 08 04:56 PM
Crazy Quilt Top Nurse Ratched Quilting 27 July 9th 04 07:09 PM