Reading is never off topic is it?

Old July 21st 09, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

Default Reading is never off topic is it?

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 7/21/09 12:18 PM, in article ,
"Lucille" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 7/21/09 9:44 AM, in article ,
"Karen
- California" wrote:

Susan Hartman wrote:
She's still a huge reader, but never got into Victorian lit.

Me, neither.
Ah -but I love Conan Doyle and Trollope was ok...

I admit I'm not in love with Trollope or the "so called" classics. For
me,
reading them once was quite enough and watching the various movies keep
me
happy.

My favorite read is a good detective story, followed by a mystery or
sometmes something about international intrigue/espionage. I used to
read a
lot of science fiction when my DDH was alive, maybe because that was his
first love, but I've kind of dropped them.

Now, if it doesn't catch me after 50 pages, I can happily give it up.
Years ago I was compelled to finish it, even when I thought it was
drivel.

Lucille

Have you tried any of the modern fantasy stories?

Cheryl

I'm not sure what a modern fantasy story is. If it's anything like an
updated fairy tale I probably would like it. I would welcome your
recommendationss.

Lucille

Old July 21st 09, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 7/20/09 4:58 PM, "Susan Hartman" wrote:

Olwyn.Mary wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I should be embarrassed to admit it, but I never did get all the fuss
about
Jane Eyre. So maybe a re-read is in order. There were several
references
The Eustace Diamonds and The Lady in White, so I'm thinking I'll start
there.

I'm thinking that I read it as a kid. That makes a big difference
in what
you believe is greatness.

Well, I read JE in my mid teens - at point were I didn't believe in
romance.
Lust, desire yes, romantic love - hell no. I could see it was a great
novel,
well written and all that, but that is about that.

DD is currently contemplating reading "Twilight" just to see what all the
fuss is about.

Cheryl

Even in my teens I thought she was a twit.

I almost laughed out loud at that line - it brought a flashback. I so
remember DD telling me how much she HATED Tess D'Urbervilles (sp?) when
she was required to read it for school. DD, who hasn't been without a
book in her hands since first grade, and regularly read books way past
her age level- mostly sci-fi/fantasy, but this one was like pulling
teeth. "Tess is SUCH a TWIT!" she complained.

She's still a huge reader, but never got into Victorian lit. Still
sci-fi/fantasy!

Sue

Ah, for twitdom - Ethan Frome. The only book that I remember forcing myself
to read as it was required for English class. Reading it - long, drawn out,
boring, boring, and you want to strangle these people for their own misery.
The movie with Liam Neesom - somewhat better. But still. I do remember
thinking that Ethan Frome was more torturous to read than Silas Marner "oh,
Hepzibah." My only adult experience coming close in torture to sit/read
through - the play "Light in the Piazza" - which travelling company was
soooo bad that it made "Little Women (the musical that shouldn't have been)"
good by comparison. And spawned our own lyrical song taken from the show
"she was kicked, kicked, in the head - in the head, kicked in the head, by a
pony, shetland pony, shetland pony....." Much to the amusement of the clerk
in the Ken Ctr gift shop when we performed for her the other night (before
The Color Purple).

Victorian Lit - the books by AS Byatt - I loved these modern takes.

ellice

Old July 21st 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

Olwyn.Mary wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

Are kids still required to read books like Ethan Frome and Silas Marner?
They were torture for me at a much simpler, more innocent time. I can't
imagine what today's kids would think of them.

Lucille

Old July 21st 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

- California" wrote:

Susan Hartman wrote:
[...]

Mercedes Lackey's 500 Kingdoms series starting with The Fairy Godmother.
Also Kushiel's Dart (Carey) is good but has a lot of sex.

Cheryl

Old July 21st 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

- California" wrote:

Susan Hartman wrote:
[...]

I'm writing down these names.

Just so you know, I have no hang ups about books, whether it's sex or
violence or whatever. I've read it all.

I'm am an absolute believer in no censorship for the written word (for
adults) and figure it's up to an adult to censor themselves.

Lucille

..

Old July 21st 09, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

ellice wrote:

Ah, for twitdom - Ethan Frome. The only book that I remember forcing myself
to read as it was required for English class.

Agreed. I read Ethan Frome just a couple of years ago, and it was boring
and depressing.

The one book I couldn't get through in HS and BS'd my way through the
report was "Moby Dick." I hated it. Carried the guilt for decades. (Not
guilt for hating it; guilt for BSing.) Well, a few years ago I decided
to reread it and see if a more adult perspective helped; it didn't.
Still too long, too boring, and hated it all over again. (But finished
it, by golly! Penance!)

Victorian Lit - the books by AS Byatt - I loved these modern takes.

I like Byatt, too, and in adulthood really enjoy Dickens.

"The Forgotten Garden" was very Victorian-littish. Ditto "Shadow of the
Wind."

I see "The Time Traveler's Wife" is coming out next month. I loved that
book; read it when it first came out. (And therefore have forgotten most
of it now, LOL!) That might be a crossover that could appeal to both
Victorian lit and fantasy folks. Can anybody else chime in on that thought?

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old July 21st 09, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Lucille wrote:
I'm not sure what a modern fantasy story is. If it's anything like an
updated fairy tale I probably would like it. I would welcome your
recommendationss.

I can thoroughly recommend any of Terry Pratchett's "discworld" books,
just suspend disbelief and enjoy the humour. Here's a guide to the
regular characters http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/discworld/gang.html
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old July 21st 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bobbieviorritto

Lucille wrote:

Mercedes Lackey's 500 Kingdoms series starting with The Fairy Godmother.
Also Kushiel's Dart (Carey) is good but has a lot of sex.

Cheryl

I'm writing down these names.

Just so you know, I have no hang ups about books, whether it's sex or
violence or whatever. I've read it all.

I'm am an absolute believer in no censorship for the written word (for
adults) and figure it's up to an adult to censor themselves.

Lucille

.

Let me add The Dark Hunters series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Celtica and
Llandrian series by Robin D. Owen. And Lynn kurland's "Star of the
Morning" books. Diana Gabaldon's new Outlander book "An Echo in the
Bone" is due out in September.
Much of the Dark Hunters take place in New Orleans and it has been
described as "Xena meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer." I find it very much
tongue in cheek and laugh out loud funny. Two years ago I would have
said I'd never read a book about vampires.

I enjoy fantasy as it helps me forget (temporarily)the fibromyalgia.

Bobbie V.

PS DH has fixed one porch to become a library for my collection of books.
Old July 21st 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"Bruce Fletcher wrote
Lucille wrote:
I'm not sure what a modern fantasy story is. If it's anything like an
updated fairy tale I probably would like it. I would welcome your
recommendationss.

I can thoroughly recommend any of Terry Pratchett's "discworld" books,
just suspend disbelief and enjoy the humour. Here's a guide to the regular
characters http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/discworld/gang.html
--

I second Bruce on the Discworld books. They have all kinds of humour from
fairly sophisticated parody to really awful puns. The World is richly

Old July 22nd 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message
el...

"Bruce Fletcher wrote
Lucille wrote:
I'm not sure what a modern fantasy story is. If it's anything like an
updated fairy tale I probably would like it. I would welcome your
recommendationss.

I can thoroughly recommend any of Terry Pratchett's "discworld" books,
just suspend disbelief and enjoy the humour. Here's a guide to the
regular characters
http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/discworld/gang.html
--

I second Bruce on the Discworld books. They have all kinds of humour from
fairly sophisticated parody to really awful puns. The World is richly
populated with fascinating creatures, and definitely fun to visit.
Dawne, looking down at her Death and Binky mousepad

I've added these to my list. So many books, so little time`````````

This has me thinking that I should climb up and take down my very, very old
copies of the Red,Yellow & Blue Fairy books and read them again. I do that
every few years, first to dust the pages and second because I love them.

I use those three and my cherished copies of Little Women and Black Beuaty
for decoration. They've been with me since I was very little and they have
stayed reasonably okay so they must know they're loved.

Lucille