Completely off topic, but I'll bet someone recognizes this cardgame

Old July 30th 09, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Completely off topic, but I'll bet someone recognizes this cardgame

Yesterday, my Mom and I tried to remember the rules to a double deck rummy
(including jokers) game that we learned in the mid 1970's.

Basically, the first deal was 7 cards and you had to get 3 or 4 of a kind to
make your first play. The second you needed a run of 4 (2,3,4,5 of hearts
for example).

The only other hand we can recall is a deal of 13 and your last card picked
up must be in your final meld....

Cheryl

Old July 30th 09, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Yesterday, my Mom and I tried to remember the rules to a double deck rummy
(including jokers) game that we learned in the mid 1970's.

Basically, the first deal was 7 cards and you had to get 3 or 4 of a kind
make your first play. The second you needed a run of 4 (2,3,4,5 of hearts
for example).

The only other hand we can recall is a deal of 13 and your last card
picked
up must be in your final meld....

Cheryl

That sounds like Canasta, a game that's still played a lot here in South
Florida.

Lucille

Old July 30th 09, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 7/30/09 10:23 AM, "Lucille" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Yesterday, my Mom and I tried to remember the rules to a double deck rummy
(including jokers) game that we learned in the mid 1970's.

Basically, the first deal was 7 cards and you had to get 3 or 4 of a kind
make your first play. The second you needed a run of 4 (2,3,4,5 of hearts
for example).

The only other hand we can recall is a deal of 13 and your last card
picked
up must be in your final meld....

Cheryl

That sounds like Canasta, a game that's still played a lot here in South
Florida.

Lucille

Close, Lucille. It's not exactly Canasta - but I totally remember the game.
It's something like Rummy 500 or similar. I'll ask my DB - we played that
game hanging out in the Tennis pro shop in the 70's. I learned it from some
of his pals - alternatives to Hearts, Spades, and Crazy Eights. I'm sure
he'll remember. And I'll do some looking, as well.

In my family, there was a lot of Gin Rummy (the grandparents played all the
time - especially at the beach clubs), as well as Canasta & Pinochle, plus
Mah Jong. I picked up Bridge later at uni. But, my DB and his gang were
into Pinochle, and all these Rummy game variations.

Ellice

Old July 30th 09, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 7/30/09 11:55 AM, in article , "ellice"
wrote:

[...]

I eventually found 10 Step or Florida Rummy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Step

We'd play it for days, especially when it was rainy or too hot to move...

Old July 30th 09, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

wrote:

[...]

LOL at the Florida rummy - as that's definitely where I was when playing
this. And it certainly was played in the pro shop when tooooo hot or rainy
(the excuse for not either practicing or giving a lesson). So, when you
come visit we can sit on the hot, steamy, deck and relive....we'll include
Donna & Ericka - if she's not working too hard. And Sue if she'll drive
down!

ellice

Old July 30th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

[...]

And man I could use a vacation RIGHT NOW....

Old July 31st 09, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

wrote:

On 7/30/09 10:23 AM, *"Lucille" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

So come on down.

We've got lots we could show you and lots we could do.

Donna in Virginia
Old July 31st 09, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka Kammerer[_2_]

ellice wrote:

LOL at the Florida rummy - as that's definitely where I was when playing
this. And it certainly was played in the pro shop when tooooo hot or rainy
(the excuse for not either practicing or giving a lesson). So, when you
come visit we can sit on the hot, steamy, deck and relive....we'll include
Donna & Ericka - if she's not working too hard. And Sue if she'll drive
down!

I'm nearly free! The games we played all the time were
Hand and Foot (a Canasta variant) and Euchre.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old July 31st 09, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

wrote:
On 7/30/09 12:02 PM, *"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 7/30/09 11:55 AM, in article ,
"ellice"
wrote:

[...]

And, it might even inspire me to finish (start) getting the house in order.
You could have your very own room, and bath. Hey - you could come in the
fall - it's good planting time here - tee hee. Plus - your DS now has a car
- make him be responsible for hockey carpooling!

Ellice