Inside corners on bindings

Old August 30th 03, 01:33 AM
Gwen

Default Inside corners on bindings

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for inside corners and putting
bindings on them? Thanks. Gwen
Old August 31st 03, 01:26 AM
Walt & Cheri Carroll

I just finished my DWR and I did inside mitered corners. Not really as
difficult as I would have thought. I used a narrow bias binding as I also
had to go around curves. For attaching the first side of the binding, I
found the easiest method was to place a pin in the fabric at the point where
I needed to pivot and then clipped almost to the stitching line at the
point. I found it really difficult to straighten out the fabric and sew
straight so I would sew as normal until I reached the pin, then (leaving the
sewing needle in the fabric), I would lift my pressure foot and then
straighten out the fabric and continue sewing (remember to take out the
pin). I found this easier than straightening out the sewing line before I
got to the pivot point.

For the back side (I like to finish my bindings by hand). I bring the
fabric to the back about 6-8" at a time. When I get close to the inside
pivot point. I would make a fold in the binding at the pivot and pin it
(think of a dart for a blouse). Then bring the binding to the back and pin
it to the quilt only at the point at the edge of the unsewn side of the
binding (don't pin the dart part). Then when I take out the first pin from
the dart and I had a nice fold at the inside mitre. (you might have to give
it a try to see what I mean). It makes a really nice tuck and I also stitch
it closed when I get to it. Once I pin this tuck I also pin about 1" past
it until I get the inside mitre sewed.

I hope this makes sense. Feel free to e-mail me if you need any
clarification.

Cheri
On Vancouver Island, Canada

"Gwen" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone have any tips or tricks for inside corners and putting
bindings on them? Thanks. Gwen

---