pinking shears sharpening? (US)

Old January 24th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default pinking shears sharpening? (US)

Kate Dicey wrote:

Ads are discouraged on the sewing groups generally, and the quilters
will eat you alive! But I'll put in a plea for mercy at this point,
because you offer a really useful service. I am really REALLY glad I

But didn't someone ask about how to sharpen their pinking shears? If
so, it's perfectly appropriate for him to mention his business in reply.
I mean, Ron Anderson does it all the time with SM parts.
Old January 24th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Village Sharpener - Sales wrote:

Julia in MN wrote:

I agree with Kate. We did have some questions about sharpening and
where to have it done, so I don't see a problem with briefly
mentioning your services along with a pointer to your website. In my
opinion, that's not in the same category as the ads that are not
posted in response to some question asked here. Lots of good info on
your website, by the way.

Julia in MN

Thanks for you support. Promise I won't spam the group(s) anymore.

If I can be of any help I will try.
Besides, now that I am making my own clothes for primitive rendezvous, I
am bound to be asking questions from you folks !

Imagine, I have only cut myself less than 5 times in all my years of
sharpening, yet my fingers are like pincushions once I started stitching
my own garb

I've been sewing for over 40 years: you never ever grow out of stabbing
fingers. Get used to it!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old January 24th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to send wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

Ads are discouraged on the sewing groups generally, and the quilters
will eat you alive! But I'll put in a plea for mercy at this point,
because you offer a really useful service. I am really REALLY glad I

But didn't someone ask about how to sharpen their pinking shears? If
so, it's perfectly appropriate for him to mention his business in reply.
I mean, Ron Anderson does it all the time with SM parts.

Yes - he replies when we ask! And the scissor man has promised to
do the same, so we are all winners!

Old January 24th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Kate Dicey wrote:
Village Sharpener - Sales wrote:

snip

to be asking questions from you folks !

Imagine, I have only cut myself less than 5 times in all my years of
sharpening, yet my fingers are like pincushions once I started stitching
my own garb

I've been sewing for over 40 years: you never ever grow out of stabbing
fingers. Get used to it!

I did, I will. Just worried what the customers think who come in to pick
up scissors/knives with blood on them

--
J Hughes
"Village Sharpener"
Old January 24th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Kate Dicey wrote:

Ads are discouraged on the sewing groups generally, and the quilters
will eat you alive! But I'll put in a plea for mercy at this point,
because you offer a really useful service. I am really REALLY glad I

But didn't someone ask about how to sharpen their pinking shears? If
so, it's perfectly appropriate for him to mention his business in
reply. I mean, Ron Anderson does it all the time with SM parts.

Yes - he replies when we ask! And the scissor man has promised to
do the same, so we are all winners!

Dankah Schoen !

btw, "Troll Chocolate Pudding" sounds good, but fattening. I can feel my
DSL line clogging with cholester-troll !

--
J Hughes
"Village Sharpener"

Old January 24th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Village Sharpener wrote:

I've been sewing for over 40 years: you never ever grow out of
stabbing fingers. Get used to it!

I did, I will. Just worried what the customers think who come in to pick
up scissors/knives with blood on them

At least you can wipe them! Blood on a wedding dress is a tad more
difficult...

Old January 24th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Kate Dicey wrote:
Village Sharpener wrote:

I've been sewing for over 40 years: you never ever grow out of
stabbing fingers. Get used to it!

I did, I will. Just worried what the customers think who come in to
pick up scissors/knives with blood on them

At least you can wipe them! Blood on a wedding dress is a tad more
difficult...

lol ! You just conjured up a wicked image...

btw, what would you use to get blood out of clothing ? Seriously, not
being morbid, but does seltzer really work, or would that mess things up
even more ?

--
J Hughes
"Village Sharpener"

Old January 24th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I am one who is glad to see someone who can sharpen pinking shears and
scissors (only wish this came up sooner)

I just got burned $34.00 for sending 4 scissors and 1 pinking shear to
someone for shaping in another state.

To make matters worse, I called Fiskars to ask about who to send them too,
They, told me to send my scissors to him,. (all of mine are the softouch)

Mine came back dirty,( with white stuff on them) not cleaned or anything,
not packaged well at all, They sent back to me with my scissors threw
into package box on there own with no peanuts or paper !!

I sent them in with peanuts, and peanuts on the tips ( no telling what
happened to my box)

I had to pay shipping to and from ($12)

One pair one wasn't even sharpened and will not even cut a thread.

He did call me to say one could not be sharpened, but I found one of the
small ones I sent one wasn't even sharpened. They are better, but I have
dull spots on them. Esp. towards the back, so I still cannot take a full cut
of fabric.

NO refund, but only a credit for one pair, if I wanted to send more to him!
Ha I think not!

I did not call him back after I received them back and let him know, what
good would it do if I did?

Your prices are cheaper!

I paid $6 per pair, $8 for pinking and two where the small scissors!

Now if I wasn't feeling so Mad, I would try your service.

"Village Sharpener" m wrote
in message news:EArBf.21809$nQ3.3418@trndny03...
Elizabeth Young wrote:

I have tried to get my Wiss pinking shears sharpened locally. No good. No
one does it anymore around here anymore (Sacramento CA).
Boo Hoo

Does anyone have a contact for some place in the US where I can send my
pinking shears for sharpening?

liz young (in cloudy california)

I sharpen any shears, Specializing in industrial and pinking.

Sorry, I am not local, as I live and work in Marlboro MA. I have the buk
of my work sent to me as a lot of people have trouble finding a cutler,
anywhere.

The one thing we can't sharpen is cast steel. The way to determine is to
file in a discreet area (behind pivot). If the file "skates" (doesn't cut
into steel), they are probably cast.

Your Wiss pinkers are excellent candidates for sharpening, PROVIDED, that
someone already has not tried to sharpen the individual teeth, used
sandpaper or tinfoil (STOP THAT !). You don't actually sharpen the teeth.
The manufacture of pinking shears make tight tolerances and if you sharpen
the teeth, you effectively ruin the shears so that they never mesh
properly.

Have been sharpening for 20 years professionally and I sharpen in excess
of 6000 shears per year for one customer alone and over 8000 knives last
year at my retail/walk-in location.

My website:

http://www.villagesharpener.com

Hope this is not against group policy, but I also have probably the
largest collection of antique scissors/shears and related ephemera.
Selling a lot of it due to recent (down)turn of events, but am staying
with sharpening full-time. Here are some of my auctions (lots more
coming):

**********

AD:

Hi Folks,

if you're interested:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcoo...her*comQQhtZ-1

Most starting at .99c with no reserve.
Still looking at 500-1000 lots in the next month.

Rather than go into the why's, please read my "ME" profile on ebay:
http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ublishe r*com

Thanks,
Joe dba "Village Sharpener"
ebay ID: CookbookPublisher*com

ps: If you could forward info to any interested parties, I would
appreciate it. Talk to you soon.

Old January 24th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Christina in Ok wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear about that. Often, I have to do "damage control". Have
heard your complaint too often and when someone brings in a pair to be
sharpened, I usually do them on the spot and ask them what they
primarily cut. Then I go into the bin (or the tailor shop across the
hall) and try various bits of fabric or otherwise. If the customer is
not happy, I don't charge them. If they can't be sharpened, I give them
a pair of the thousands of airport seizures I have. It's like handing
out a functional business card !

Now if they leave items for me to sharpen (Knives or Scissors), I always
ask if they need a loaner (free of charge). Makes for good business and
they tell their friends.

My web prices are just that. Better to call me and if you are sending a
lot, or do charity work or are a senior, my prices are negotiable

Just don't throw away any of your scissors or shears ! Can't tell you
how many times I needed just a bolt or screw from an old pair of Wiss,
Boker, Ginger or otherwise. Some of them have a square-shouldered bolt
that is a) hard to find b) expensive from the manufacturer or c)
non-existant, that I will have to make and charge the customer for !

Thanks for the input on your experience.

--
J Hughes
"Village Sharpener"