wimple?

Old March 23rd 10, 01:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

Default wimple?

Has anyone here ever knitted a wimple ?
mirjam
Old March 23rd 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
'Nez

On Mar 23, 8:24�am, mirjam wrote:
Has anyone here ever knitted a wimple ?
mirjam

Hi, mirjam. Try Wonderful Wimples - Fiddlesticks Knitting. Looks
very interesting. Frances
Old March 24th 10, 07:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

Hi, mirjam. *Try Wonderful Wimples - Fiddlesticks Knitting. *Looks
very interesting. *Frances

Thank you Frances i have already seen and tried that ,
, i am thinking of making one as a present , but i think i will first
make one for me !! i hoped somebody already made one ,,, some real
experience would be helpful
mirjam
Old March 24th 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
'Nez

On Mar 24, 2:02�am, mirjam wrote:
Hi, mirjam. �Try Wonderful Wimples - Fiddlesticks Knitting. �Looks
very interesting. �Frances

Thank you Frances i have already seen and tried that ,
, i am thinking of making one as a present , but i think i will first
make one for me !! i hoped somebody already made one ,,, some real
experience would be helpful
mirjam

Oh, yes!! Experience is what it is all about and does help to bounce
ideas off someone else. My fingers itched to start knitting soon as I
saw the site, but having so much trouble with my knee replacement (20
years old and needs another one) I was just afraid I wouldn't be able
to concentrate on it. Maybe I will give it a try, though. Who knows,
it may be less complicated than it looks. Frances
Old March 25th 10, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Maureen Miller

'Nez wrote:

On Mar 24, 2:02�am, mirjam wrote:

Hi, mirjam. �Try Wonderful Wimples - Fiddlesticks Knitting. �Looks
very interesting. �Frances

Thank you Frances i have already seen and tried that ,
, i am thinking of making one as a present , but i think i will first
make one for me !! i hoped somebody already made one ,,, some real
experience would be helpful
mirjam

Oh, yes!! Experience is what it is all about and does help to bounce
ideas off someone else. My fingers itched to start knitting soon as I
saw the site, but having so much trouble with my knee replacement (20
years old and needs another one) I was just afraid I wouldn't be able
to concentrate on it. Maybe I will give it a try, though. Who knows,
it may be less complicated than it looks. Frances

Hi Mirjam,

Why not try someplace like a costumer for a ren faire?
http://www.renfaire.com/Costume/costume-guide.html

Maureen
Old March 25th 10, 06:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

Why not try someplace like a costumer for a ren faire?http://www.renfaire.com/Costume/costume-guide.html

Maureen- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Maureen interesting site ,,,
I also have a book for Theatrical costumes
mirjam
Old March 25th 10, 06:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

Frances i would not say i want to bounce ideas of somebody else i only
wish to understand the construction of an Ancient clothing item ,,,

Old March 26th 10, 06:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

In the Book
Patterns for Theatrical costumes, Garments, trims and accessories from
Ancient Egypt to 1915, by Katherine Strand Holkeboer , Prentice hall
press, 1984 ,
one can finns Wimple patterns on pages 108-9, 114-5, 292-3
the pattern looks like a rectangle but in the drawings it is worn
covering the neck and by clever tucking it becomes a
hood like front cover ,,, Thus now i wonder where this other form of a
Pipelike hood , came from ?
The book, The Historical Encyclopedia of Costume, By Albert Racinet,
Studio editions, 1995, shows on page 116 in cahpter The Orient ,
Christian monks and nuns ,
the wimple is mentioned as .." the veil, worn over a band of white
wool that frames the face , is suggestive of a wimple.

So now i wonder more about the origin of it ,
mirjam
Old March 26th 10, 07:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bruce Fletcher

On 26/03/2010 05:39, mirjam wrote:
In the Book
Patterns for Theatrical costumes, Garments, trims and accessories from
Ancient Egypt to 1915, by Katherine Strand Holkeboer , Prentice hall
press, 1984 ,
one can finns Wimple patterns on pages 108-9, 114-5, 292-3
the pattern looks like a rectangle but in the drawings it is worn
covering the neck and by clever tucking it becomes a
hood like front cover ,,, Thus now i wonder where this other form of a
Pipelike hood , came from ?
The book, The Historical Encyclopedia of Costume, By Albert Racinet,
Studio editions, 1995, shows on page 116 in cahpter The Orient ,
Christian monks and nuns ,
the wimple is mentioned as .." the veil, worn over a band of white
wool that frames the face , is suggestive of a wimple.

So now i wonder more about the origin of it ,
mirjam

When I first read the first item I confused a "wimple" with a "snood".
According to Encyclopedia Brittanica:
"The wimple originally was adopted as a chin veil by Western women after
the crusaders brought back from the Near East such fashions as the veil
of the Muslim woman. The wimple, usually made of fine white linen or
silk, framed the face and covered the neck."
"During the Victorian era, hairnets worn for decoration were called
snoods, and this term came to mean a netlike hat or part of a hat that
caught the hair in the back. In the 1930s the name was given to a
netlike bag worn at the back of a woman’s head to hold the hair."
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old March 26th 10, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

When I first read the first item I confused a "wimple" with a "snood".
According to Encyclopedia Brittanica:
"The wimple originally was adopted as a chin veil by Western women after
the crusaders brought back from the Near East such fashions as the veil
of the Muslim woman. The wimple, usually made of fine white linen or
silk, framed the face and covered the neck."
"During the Victorian era, hairnets worn for decoration were called
snoods, and this term came to mean a netlike hat or part of a hat that
caught the hair in the back. In the 1930s the name was given to a
netlike bag worn at the back of a woman’s head to hold the hair."
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
(Remove dentures to reply)- Hide quoted text -

Thank you i knew that , but it is nice to reread it , As a matter of
fact i have made Snoods , i made my first one , looking at one my
mother has kept , and than found another pattern , Both are
crocheted .
mirjam