Recumbant bike

Old July 2nd 04, 02:52 AM
Kim E

Default Recumbant bike

I would like to replace my computer chair with a stationary bike so I
can exercise while I'm on the computer. Most of the models that I've
seen have a big pole with a screen in the front - this would
definitely get in the way of the computer screen.

Any models I should look at for this purpose?

Thanks,
Kim
Old July 2nd 04, 03:06 AM
Michael Curtis

Um. Sure. The kind without the screen in the front.
Diana, who thinks computers and biking dont mix well.

om...

Old July 2nd 04, 09:12 AM
Roberta Zollner

Er -where would you put the mouse pad? Maybe you could just put the computer
screen where the bike screen is -you don't really need to know how far
you've "cycled".
Roberta in D, no fan of exercise for the sake thereof

om...

Old July 2nd 04, 03:35 PM
the black rose

Hmm, I was looking at recumbent stationary bikes not too long ago, and I
didn't see any that didn't have a big pole with a screen in the front.
Possibly you could remove the pole -- you can on mine -- but in doing so
you'd remove the ability to adjust the tension on the flywheel. So I'm
not certain this is a workable idea. If you do manage it, let us know;
I'm curious.

--
the black rose, wench with a wrench
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old July 2nd 04, 04:28 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"the black rose" wrote in message
Hmm, I was looking at recumbent stationary bikes not too long ago, and I
didn't see any that didn't have a big pole with a screen in the front.
Possibly you could remove the pole -- you can on mine -- but in doing so
you'd remove the ability to adjust the tension on the flywheel. So I'm
not certain this is a workable idea. If you do manage it, let us know;
I'm curious.

At the gym in the Reno Hilton they have stationary bikes that are also slot
machines. You have to keep biking to play the slots, and keep playing the
slots to bike. The slot machine screen is right where the read-out screens
for the bikes at the gym are. I'll bet (pun intended) that someone has done
the same setup for a computer.

As for me, if the weather is halfway decent, I'm outside on my new recumbent
(moving) bike. But then, I'm spoiled: I live four blocks from a rail trail,
which connects to a 26 mile long paved river trail. Lots of safe, beautiful
biking there.

If the weather is bad (I'm a wuss!), I'm on my diamond frame which is on a
roller stand. I've tried using my PDA and my laptop while on the diamond
frame, and I've found I bike too hard and have too little coordination to do
it. (Think patting your head while rubbing your tummy.) I've settled for my
iPod and a magazine.
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old July 2nd 04, 06:04 PM
Lisa Ellis

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

If the weather is bad (I'm a wuss!), I'm on my diamond frame which is on a
roller stand. I've tried using my PDA and my laptop while on the diamond
frame, and I've found I bike too hard and have too little coordination to do
it. (Think patting your head while rubbing your tummy.) I've settled for my
iPod and a magazine.

This agress with my experience. If you are working hard enough, in an
aerobic range, you can't really concentrate on reading or whatever...

lisae

Old July 2nd 04, 08:53 PM
the black rose

Lisa Ellis wrote:
This agress with my experience. If you are working hard enough, in an
aerobic range, you can't really concentrate on reading or whatever...

Yeah -- that's one reason why cardio can be so boring unless you're
outside where the scenery is changing, or you're on a stationary when
there's something really absorbing on TV...

I was bitterly disappointed to find out the local rail trail is only 2
miles long. *pout* DH says there are plans to extend it, though.

Old July 2nd 04, 10:07 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"the black rose" wrote in message

I was bitterly disappointed to find out the local rail trail is only 2
miles long. *pout* DH says there are plans to extend it, though.

For those looking for local rail trails, and ways to expand your local rail
trails, I recommend this link: http://www.traillink.com

NAYY, just glad to have rail trails where ever I go.

Old July 3rd 04, 02:03 PM
the black rose

Ooh! Thanks! I'll check it out later. My mouse stopped working and
computing without a mouse is a royal pain in the @$$, let me tell you!