Smart idea for ashtrays

Old March 21st 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default Smart idea for ashtrays

"Kees Kroozr" wrote in message
Yup, yup, yup... but back to the subject of making an ashtray, after
all, we make wares to sell, they can use 'em for whatever floats their
boat. But I have a sentimental liking to ashtrays as they were the
first thing I made. Heck, most all my failures became ashtrays or
cutting boards. Then I'd proudly declare that I meant to do that. This
is the new millenium, unless you've been living under a rock, we all
know the "evils" of smoking, sheesh. Everybody knows somebody who got
bit, like the 6 steps to Kevin Bacon. But that doesn't mean we should
deprive those who indulge a manner in which to neatly dispose of that
little cancerous monster. Make it sound like sex toy manufaturers have
to stick it up their what for in order to be able to justify their
goods. Some people smoke, they've already been kicked to the curb,
thats why I think we should make a pocket ashtray. I like the idea of
placing dry clay remnants in your pocket, dorp that butt in and slap the
side of your pants till it goes out. This makes it enjoyable for all
concerned, the smoker has theirs and we get to watch 'em dance. And its
recyclable too. I call that a win/win situation. Yup, I'm a non smoker
who quit some 25 years ago but I don't go all phobic ballistic about it.
Life's full of risks, I ride a motorcycle with no seat belt or airbags,
okay, well that depends on who's riding on the back. Point is, we make
stuff to sell, really neat stuff, that ashtray sounds really neat. Now
that some many potters are paranoid about making them, I bet there's a
far market for them. Make a bunch of 'em cause from what I'm reading,
smokers are dying off, it'll become an instant collectable.

You added a nice chuckle to the thread. Thanks. Again, I have to say that
I don't have a problem with people smoking or doing any other drug. I'm
very strongly for decriminalizing drug usage period. I just think it is
exceptionally rude to make other people have to breath in the drug you're
using without them having a choice in the matter and then to be offended
because they object to watching their child go into an asthma attack from
the smoke. There are just certainly things that should not be done in
public places because if you are considerate person you realize that your
rights end were another's begins. In public you don't spit, you don't take
a dump, you don't **** in the swimming pool, you don't .... well I should
leave it at that.

I'm happy to read a discussion on making ashtrays (I too have made a few -
never was happy with any of them functionally). I'm not happy to read about
how sad it is for the poor smoker now that they can't smoke in public
places.

Donna

Old April 11th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"Kees Kroozr" wrote in message
.

Finally something almost on-topic for the group. Thanks, Kees.

I know that I am taking a risk, but I don't run out in the road in front of
busses and I don't drive without wearing a seat-belt.

As you so humorously put it - all we who do something that might shorten our
life span (be it paragliding or smoking) KNOW WHAT WE ARE DOING AND WHAT
RISKS WE ARE TAKING! Let it be at that. I will.

Those that buy ashtrays can use them for tea candles or paper-clips for all
I care, as long as they buy them. The nicer the "dish", the more attractive
to the buyer.

Would love to see some more on-topic stuff on this thread.

Marianne

Old April 11th 06, 10:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Yeh ok - but the other 'dangerous' hobbies you mention don't force other
people to do it too. As stated previously, smoking is intrusive, and
abusive to other peoples rights. As for nice dishes - ashtrays will always
be obvious to their purpose (i.e. cigarette rests) - and as a non-smoker I
would never purchase something that resembles an ashtray however pretty it
may be. Let the topic rest on the agreement that smokers and non-smokers
will always beg to differ - both sides have their own opinions (however,
selfish they may be).
JM

"Bubbles" wrote in message

"Kees Kroozr" wrote in message
.

Finally something almost on-topic for the group. Thanks, Kees.

I know that I am taking a risk, but I don't run out in the road in front
of
busses and I don't drive without wearing a seat-belt.

As you so humorously put it - all we who do something that might shorten
our
life span (be it paragliding or smoking) KNOW WHAT WE ARE DOING AND WHAT
RISKS WE ARE TAKING! Let it be at that. I will.

Those that buy ashtrays can use them for tea candles or paper-clips for
all
I care, as long as they buy them. The nicer the "dish", the more
attractive
to the buyer.

Would love to see some more on-topic stuff on this thread.

Marianne

Need Feedback - charity pattern idea Lazygirl Quilting 21 March 17th 05 07:13 PM
crazy idea Johanna Koski Beads 3 March 16th 05 05:04 PM
Christmas gift idea -- Christian men spampot Yarn 1 November 25th 04 03:26 PM
Sooz's Challenge idea.... Challenge angela Beads 10 August 17th 03 07:04 AM
An Idea Jalynne Beads 30 July 31st 03 05:15 AM