Investing in a couple of new books

Old December 8th 05, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default Investing in a couple of new books

Hi guys.

I have Jacqui Atkins book on hand building. Fantastic amount of variation
and ideas there. I am very impressed.

But I would love some more ideas. I have plaster moulds - half-globe - up to
30 cm and can get them bigger. I also have my own resources and those of my
recoursful hubby to draw on for moulds and such.

Any suggestions to books that show someone who is used to hand building how
to make even more interesting stuff?

Marianne

Old December 8th 05, 01:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Bubbles wrote:
Hi guys.

I have Jacqui Atkins book on hand building. Fantastic amount of variation
and ideas there. I am very impressed.

But I would love some more ideas. I have plaster moulds - half-globe - up to
30 cm and can get them bigger. I also have my own resources and those of my
recoursful hubby to draw on for moulds and such.

Any suggestions to books that show someone who is used to hand building how
to make even more interesting stuff?

Marianne

Hi Marianne

try these..

Handbuilding Ceramic Forms: Elspeth S. Woody.
A very useful book though a tad American, shows you lots of different
ways of working with clay, I found it very liberating.

The Self-Reliant Potter: Andrew Holden
Possibly one of the most useful “how to” pottery books about. If you
can get it, i think it's out of print

Coiled Pottery: Betty Blandino
New reprint out, excellent for coil technique.

The Kiln Book: Fred Olsen
(also known as “The Olsen Kiln Book”), get it. Fantastic and I've got a
copy...

Wood Fired Stoneware and Porcelain: Jack Troy
Inspirational, Pyromania for everyone, I love this book...

Shire Archaeology Books on Pottery
Dead useful and good resources esp. Later prehistoric Pottery

There's also something called the "book of forms" or summat like that
that is really good to dream with... Lots of shapes but kinda
deconstucted, so that what appears to be a fairly boring jar in profile
turns out to be a really interesting winged formin plan....

Hugs
Eddie
Old December 8th 05, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Love that "Pyromania for everyone" and had to laugh at "A very useful
book though a tad American". Are any of these books online? I don't
mean as in "to buy", but to read online.
Bubbles, do you make your own molds? I like how you make a round globe
out of a half globe mold, that's smart thinking.

~Kroozr

Old December 8th 05, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Andrew Holden's book has been out of print for more than 25 years so
will be hard to find.

Steve

In article , Eddie Daughton
writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old December 9th 05, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"Eddie Daughton" wrote in message

Hi Marianne

Hi Eddie

try these..

Handbuilding Ceramic Forms: Elspeth S. Woody.
A very useful book though a tad American, shows you lots of different ways
of working with clay, I found it very liberating.

Welllll - it would have to be VERY innovative, as I have several other books
as well.

The Self-Reliant Potter: Andrew Holden
Possibly one of the most useful “how to” pottery books about. If you can
get it, i think it's out of print

Holy moly!!!! I found it on Amazon.com - price USD 54 the _cheapest_! I
would really like to see that book, but totally unseen, almost 55 bucks is a
bit dear.

Coiled Pottery: Betty Blandino
New reprint out, excellent for coil technique.

Hmmmm - will give that a miss as well - as I find coil is not even enough
for my "exacting standards" Hehe! I have a little slab roller, so I prefer
using that

The Kiln Book: Fred Olsen
(also known as “The Olsen Kiln Book”), get it. Fantastic and I've got a
copy...

mmmm - no kiln - drat! That is probably at least a year in the future, if
not more. Am still learning about firing and prefer to do my firing in my
teacher's workshop, so that I can suck as much information and knowledge out
of her as possible ;-)

Wood Fired Stoneware and Porcelain: Jack Troy
Inspirational, Pyromania for everyone, I love this book...

No space for wood firing :-(

Shire Archaeology Books on Pottery
Dead useful and good resources esp. Later prehistoric Pottery

Could you explain that further? I have bought an historic book about
Japanese pottery, but I don't quite understand how that would teach me
technique.

There's also something called the "book of forms" or summat like that that
is really good to dream with... Lots of shapes but kinda deconstucted, so
that what appears to be a fairly boring jar in profile turns out to be a
really interesting winged formin plan....

The potter's directory of shape and form or some such. Yeah - I have it.
Slightly useful. But almost better are the 500 books - "500 bowls" etc.
Great inspiration.

Thanks tons for your input! I WISH that Andrew Holden book wasn't so
expensive! Checked amazon.com, amazon.co.uk and ebay :-(

Marianne

Old December 9th 05, 01:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"Steve Mills" wrote in message
Andrew Holden's book has been out of print for more than 25 years so
will be hard to find.

Hey Steve :-)

I found 2 for sale on amazon.com - but at 55 and 75 USD. Rather dear, I
think. Will set up at search on ebay, I think.

Marianne

Old December 9th 05, 01:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"the ''Kroozr''" wrote in message
Love that "Pyromania for everyone" and had to laugh at "A very useful
book though a tad American". Are any of these books online? I don't
mean as in "to buy", but to read online.
Bubbles, do you make your own molds? I like how you make a round globe
out of a half globe mold, that's smart thinking.

Hi Krooz

Yeah - have just started learning how to make moulds. Think I would start a
post about what to mold first / versatility.

As for the round from a half, that was one of my teachers - well, actually 2
of them, that use that technique.I learn a lot at these courses.

Marianne

Old December 9th 05, 10:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

That makes the cheaper one about 32 pounds Sterling at the current rate.
If it was published now, I expect the retail price would be about 20.
The extra 12 reflects its scarcity and desirability.

Steve

In article , Bubbles
writes

Old December 9th 05, 11:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"Steve Mills" wrote in message
That makes the cheaper one about 32 pounds Sterling at the current rate.
If it was published now, I expect the retail price would be about 20.
The extra 12 reflects its scarcity and desirability.

So you think it is worth it?

Marianne

Old December 9th 05, 12:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 02:34:35 +0100, "Bubbles"
wrote:

"Steve Mills" wrote in message
Andrew Holden's book has been out of print for more than 25 years so
will be hard to find.

Hey Steve :-)

I found 2 for sale on amazon.com - but at 55 and 75 USD. Rather dear, I
think. Will set up at search on ebay, I think.

Another good place to check for old books, or even
new ones, is Abe Books www.abebooks.com.
They seem to be tapped into a consortium of
independent booksellers on both sides of the
pond. I've gotten lots of great deals on pottery
books (and lots of other books) there.

Best regards.

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

CRAFT ART BOOKS old books Marketplace 0 December 2nd 05 12:48 PM
CRAFT ART BOOKS old books Marketplace 0 November 22nd 05 12:46 PM
NEEDLE/FASHION BOOKS FOR SALE old books Marketplace 0 October 20th 05 09:08 AM
FS: cross stitch and sewing books Lisa Marketplace 0 August 20th 04 01:12 AM
A couple of new knot books Martin Combs Knots 4 December 2nd 03 02:01 AM