Large bowls sagging when throwing

Old September 27th 05, 12:20 AM

very true - you need a good groggy clay. i like soldate60 or soldate30
for my larger bowls.

i also found while getting into bigger stuff (i still throw small on
the scale of things - generally under 15 pounds) that throwing an
UNusually large pile of clay brings out your mistakes. methods that
will work with smaller piles can't work with bigger piles. throw the
bigger piles for a while & pay attention to what works. when you go
back to your smaller amounts you'll see you throw better then before.

see ya

steve

Old September 29th 05, 11:29 PM
Bubbles

"JM" wrote in message
I want to be able to throw large salad bowls, but I have a problem with
sagging just before I finish the throw. Is it better to half throw then
left for a while to dry/firm up before continuing to throw?
Whats the technique for this?
JM

Either that, or use a bit more clay and leave the bottom half as a thicker
support for the walls and trim it off afterwards - is what I have read :-)

Marianne

Old September 30th 05, 10:01 AM
JM

Thanks all for your input - some really interesting reading....Steve those
glazes are supurb - I just cant seem to get the running effect that you have
achieved (although the glazes at college used to do that) and I really like
it. I'll have to experiment a bit more. I'm gonna get back to the wheel
and try again - I gotta master this - I'm not one to let something beat me.
JM

Throwing tall cylinders J M Pottery 7 August 23rd 04 11:22 AM
AD-Ceramic Classes and Workshops Craft Students League, NYC Pottery 0 August 5th 04 07:09 PM
AD: ongoing Pottery/Ceramics courses - Craft Students League NYC Craft Students League Pottery 0 February 26th 04 08:43 PM
Large Format Printing Kima Marketplace 0 November 25th 03 08:51 PM
Basic wheel throwing question - centering Elric Pottery 16 October 17th 03 04:24 AM