binding and the quilt police

Old April 19th 05, 08:19 PM
Quiet Reef

Default binding and the quilt police

Hi the

May I ask, with traditional binding that is sewn by machine on the
front then turned over and hand sewn onto the back, what kind of hand
stitch do people use? Is there more than one choice? and how far
apart should the hand stitches be?

Thanks,
quietreef
Old April 19th 05, 09:57 PM
Shona in NZ

Hi Quietreef,

Are you new around here? Welcome if you are.

Not sure I can be of much help here since I have no idea what stitch I use
to sew my binding with...it's a stitch that doesn't show so I will call it
SBS (Shona's Blind Stitch) since I have no idea what a 'proper' blind stitch
should look like g.

How far apart? Mine are 2-3mm apart. Again not sure if this is 'proper' or
not but it works for me.

Shona self taught in NZ

news

Old April 19th 05, 10:10 PM
Karen Johnson

May I ask, with traditional binding that is sewn by machine on the
front then turned over and hand sewn onto the back, what kind of hand
stitch do people use? Is there more than one choice? and how far
apart should the hand stitches be?

I use a stitch I learned back in Girl Scouts -- oh, yikes, nearly 40
years ago ...

They called it the blanket stitch. It's virtually invisible, and
holds up pretty well if the thread should break at any point. My
stitches are .5" to .75" long.

I would imagine that there's definitely more than one choice .... ask
four quilters, get four different stitches!

Karen Johnson

http://www.dabukar.com
Old April 19th 05, 10:44 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Quiet Reef wrote:

Hi the

May I ask, with traditional binding that is sewn by machine on the
front then turned over and hand sewn onto the back, what kind of hand
stitch do people use? Is there more than one choice? and how far
apart should the hand stitches be?

Thanks,
quietreef

I use a blind stitch, no more than about 3/8" apart. You don't want them
too far apart, since you don't want things to catch in them and tear the
stitching out.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old April 20th 05, 12:59 AM

My binding is sewn with an invisible stitch, which is made by taking a
tiny stitch in the binding edge, then a tiny stitch on the quilt (not
thru to the face) every one quarter inch or so. It might be called a
ladder stitch. I also like to make a half-hitch knot every ten stitches
or so for strength. Nancycog in MD

Old April 20th 05, 02:14 AM
Betsy Ross

My technique is very different from the others suggested here. I let my
stitches show at about 4 to an inch. I like that SOME part of my quilt was
hand stitched and I want everyone to know it! I mean, it is the back and
all. Wouldn't the back of the binding be a great place for some decorative
handstitching?

Old April 20th 05, 04:16 AM
quietreef

Hi the

No, actually, I'm not new, just returning. I used to post as Jacquard the
Ripper. I broke my back last summer and haven't done much of anything until
recently. Picked up my sewing in February, and starting to sit at the
computer again now. My old hotmail account was defunct, so now I'm
"quietreef".

Thanks,
Cynthia in Calgary

Old April 20th 05, 05:31 AM
SNIGDIBBLY

I use a blind stitch on mine and it is usually a little less than 1/4 inch
apart.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old April 21st 05, 12:36 AM
Marigold

Hello Cynthia
Sorry to hear about your back, but glad to hear your back.
I'm in Cremona, about an hour NW of you.

Marilyn