Pitting & Pinholing

Old January 22nd 04, 04:40 PM
Lindsay MacArthur

Default Pitting & Pinholing

Is there any harm in refiring pieces that have pitting/pinholing? Can
refiring help at all or will it make it worse? I can almost
guarantee the pitting/pinholing resulting from the glaze being too
thick as the only pieces that have it are those that I double dipped
to mix colors. I have done this in the past with the same glazes and
haven't had any problems so I'm not sure what was different with this
batch. I read up about it and couldn't find any definitve answers.
Most of the advice in my books applied to future firings and not to
correcting pieces with pitting/pinholing.

LMac
Old January 22nd 04, 07:02 PM
annemarie

"Lindsay MacArthur" wrote in message
news
Is there any harm in refiring pieces that have pitting/pinholing? Can
refiring help at all or will it make it worse? I can almost
guarantee the pitting/pinholing resulting from the glaze being too
thick as the only pieces that have it are those that I double dipped
to mix colors. I have done this in the past with the same glazes and
haven't had any problems so I'm not sure what was different with this
batch. I read up about it and couldn't find any definitve answers.
Most of the advice in my books applied to future firings and not to
correcting pieces with pitting/pinholing.

LMac

Well a friend corrected pinholing by refiring to a lower temp. I think he
had orininally fired to about 1200C and then refired to 1100C, but I can't
be sure about the temps, it did however fix the pinholing.
Good luck

Old January 23rd 04, 07:37 AM
David Hewitt

There is no real harm in refiring. I have done this to remove some
pitting. I would let it soak for an hour. You may find that it also
produces a slight colour change.

In article , Lindsay
MacArthur writes

--
David Hewitt

Old January 23rd 04, 01:41 PM
Lindsay MacArthur

Should I fire at the same temp of the initial fire or should I fire at
a lower temp?

LMac

Old January 23rd 04, 05:54 PM
Monika Schleidt

David Hewitt wrote:

There is no real harm in refiring. I have done this to remove some
pitting. I would let it soak for an hour. You may find that it also
produces a slight colour change.

That's what i thought a few weeks ago, i had a favorite mug which had an
ever so slight chip on the rim. I reglazed the part and refired the mug:
same temperature, same glaze, - it came out totally destroyed, glaze is
rough, the writing on the side ran, everything else in the kiln was as
normally, - i had that happen several times with refirings, so don't bet
on it.

Monika

--
Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/mskeramik

Old January 23rd 04, 06:55 PM
David Hewitt

Fire to the normal temp for the glaze in question - or even a little bit
higher. I would first try to the normal temperature and give it a one
hour soak.

In article , Lindsay
MacArthur writes

Old January 26th 04, 12:04 AM

I'd be interested in hearing your results if you do refire. I've tried
refiring pots with pinholing on them and they just got worse. And I think
they were brushed on glazes - maybe dust underneath? Anyway, I never found
the root cause and never managed to fixed them - as usual they were my
favorite pieces in the kilnload, so I'd love to hear it if you come up with
a solution.
Simon

Old January 26th 04, 12:49 AM
GaSeku

Simon,
I tried refiring just once so far. It didn't help and some things trned out
even worse. I haven't given up totally on the idea, but would like to share
what I learned from this attempt. Through the help and advice of the great
people on this list, I came to the conclusion that the reason why mine failed
could be traced back to the bisque firing. The pieces that were the worst were
from a bisque firing that had blown the breaker sometime during the firing. I
was never able to determine for sure at what point it tripped, but I am sure I
didn't reach ^04 and maybe not even ^06. Apparantly not enough of the
impurities had a chance to burn completely out and they effected the glaze. I
know that sounds somewhat simplistic so maybe the wonderful folks here would
explain it better. But that's my experience with refiring. Enough to teach me a
really good lesson on how important the bisque firing stage really is!
Old January 26th 04, 02:50 AM

That makes sense. With mine, however, it's always been one piece in a
kilnload, although they've all been a speckled stoneware I use. Hmmm.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Simon