OT : Nature TV Show Rant

Old January 24th 11, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Default OT : Nature TV Show Rant

OK -- Rant ON. So, I'm watching the Mutant Planet show about the
Australian animals -- marsupials specifically. Now, I am well aware
that Mother Nature is a very mean entity and kills stuff off at a
prodigious rate. But WHY do the TV Twits feel it is necessary to follow
a mama 'roo and her joey around during the drought and then give us
close ups of that poor little thing succumbing to the lack of water and
laying down to die?? I have NO PROBLEM with showing us the body once it
has gone to the other side, no problem with the huge lizard who is out
searching for the dead little joey. I DO have a HUGE problem with
having to see the poor little creature lay down to die! They could have
stopped with the shot of the mom & joey looking all emaciated and weak
and then just TOLD us the joey didn't make it and then showing us the
mom bouncing off into the sunset on her further search for water!
But NO WAY, they had to spend the whole damned show following the
mom & joey all over the outback looking and looking for water, telling
us how wonderful the survival strategies were for living with the lack
of water, etc. THEN they show us the poor little creature lay down and
die!!!! What stupid people! I won't watch the show again if that's the
way they are going to present stuff! I KNOW all about animals dying, I
have no problem with educating children about what happens to wild
animals and domestic ones too. But I draw the line at having to watch
some poor creature lay down to die! I have to sit with my own babies
when they make that last journey to the Rainbow Bridge -- I certainly
don't want to spend my free time watching wild animals do it! STUPID,
stupid telly people IMNSHO!!! Rant Off

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old January 24th 11, 03:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 1/23/2011 9:45 PM, Tia Mary wrote:
[...]

Guess why I hate TV...and spend very litle time with it!! Maybe a
half-hour a day. Hubby turns it on a 5 pm..while I am fixing
dinner..then we watch a odd light comedy show. That is it! I HATE TV.I
might add, himself has FoxNews on 24/7. I would rather kook, find stuff
and read.

Old January 24th 11, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

On Jan 23, 6:45*pm, Tia Mary wrote:
[...]

OHHHHHHHHHHH, I agree completely!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW what happens in
nature and I love most of the nature programs but I don't think they
need to show us every minute of what is taped! Does anyone else think
that maybe there are now TOO MANY channels? We used to watch the
Discovery Channel a lot when it included travel, animals and science.
There were more good shows and fewer reruns. Once they split up, each
channel has fewer good shows and many more reruns. Discovery seems to
be all motorcycle building AND FAMILY FIGHTS, Travel seems to be all
food shows, one with a host who is constantly bleeped because he
doesn't know how to stop swearing on camera and Animal Planet seems to
be full of prisoners and pit bulls, who also seem to do an awful lot
of yelling and screaming at each other. National Geographic Channel,
which we used to love, has now had to add and EXTRA channel to show
all of the shows that people USED TO SEE on the original channel,
which is now full of prison life both in the USA and abroad, which
seems to have little to do with the National Geographic history. I
refuse, by the way, to use the new 'trendy" shortened version of
NatIONAL GeoGRAPHIC!!!!!!!!!! :-))))) Most of what we watch these
days is Turner Classic Movies, History International and Encore
Western - which we'll lose next month because we don't want to pay for
all of the other channels that go with Encore that WE DON'T WATCH. I
miss the early days of our big dish when we could order the channels A
La Carte instead of being forced to pay for 70 channels we don't watch
if we want to keep the few that we do. There is lots of good
television out there, it is just a pain to have to plow through the
garbage to get to it. DH doesn't like sit coms so, other than our
local news, the Today Show & the Tonight Show, we rarely watch
"regular" television. We DO like Cash Cab, though. :-)))

Liz from Humbug
Old January 24th 11, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Liz from Humbug wrote:

OHHHHHHHHHHH, I agree completely!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW what happens in
nature and I love most of the nature programs but I don't think they
need to show us every minute of what is taped! Does anyone else think
that maybe there are now TOO MANY channels?... snipped...
Most of what we watch these
days is Turner Classic Movies, History International and Encore
Western... snipped... We DO like Cash Cab, though. :-)))

Liz from Humbug

I absolutely abhor the tacky "reality" crap -- the only thing real
about those shows is the commercials!!! We never watch any of the talent
shows or dancing or surviving in the wild, etc. We do have Tivo and we
use it. We like the new Hawaii 5-0, all of the CSI shows, White Collar
and Royal Pains to name a few. I started Tivo-ing Hot in Cleveland and
it is a HOOT! Of course, with Betty White, that's to be expected. We
also like to watch stuff like the Dog Whisperer, How's It Made, Build It
Bigger, etc.
I've started watching more stuff on the BBC channel, too and have
gotten away from a lot of the repetitive stuff on Discovery, Learning
Channel, etc. As you say, it's a lot of stuff that has absolutely
NOTHING to do with any sort of interesting learning about new people,
places animals, etc. Ah well, I'm a GOW and proud of it and just am not
interested in a lot of the stuff provided because that's what "sells" to
the younger population!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

Old January 24th 11, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

On 1/24/2011 3:55 PM, Tia Mary wrote:
We never watch any of the talent shows
or dancing

I absolutely adore "So You Think You Can Dance". It promotes *real*
dance and helps younger viewers to appreciate culture. I do wish,
however, that they would teach younger viewers when to clap and scream
and when to keep quiet.

Dianne
Old January 25th 11, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kalmia

On Jan 23, 10:03*pm, Gillian Murray wrote:
[...]

Same here. While I know Nancy Grace is trying to find missing kids
etc, it and similar shows were wearing me down at night. I have
rediscovered reading, working on hobbies and calming my mind at
night. The tv is on for maybe two hours a day in my house. News and
that's about it.

I hate sitcoms, bride shows, reality shows, even the cooking shows are
ridiculous.
I can't watch some of the animal shows either. I understand your sad
frustration.

Old January 25th 11, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Jan 24, 3:55*pm, Tia Mary wrote:

* *I absolutely abhor the tacky "reality" crap --

I do, too, with one exception: Undercover Boss. I like that the CEO
(or whoever) finds out what it's *really* like in the trenches of his/
her own business, like the guy who tried to load a truck with boxes
along with a woman and failed miserably! lol

They've taken off all the shows I like: Pushing Daisies, Heroes, Lost
(although they actually *ended* that show, which was ok), The Event
won't be back until the end of Feb., etc., etc. and it seems almost
all the shows (with the exception of Monday night on CBS) are either
cop/crime-scene shows or hospital shows. I only get the 3 major
networks.

I do like Criminal Minds, but I see now they're copy-catting that one,
too. What is it with the networks? Have they *no* imagination?????
Is there no creativity in the world anymore?

Joan

The Finery of Nature Bea[_2_] Marketplace 0 July 10th 07 01:37 AM
OT when nature really does call Terbear Quilting 1 June 11th 06 08:22 PM
AD: And a nature photo Beadbimbo Beads 11 April 12th 06 06:59 AM
OT - Nature's colors Karen_AZ Beads 13 June 2nd 04 02:20 AM
Wonders of Nature - NOT OT CNYstitcher Quilting 21 January 24th 04 06:58 PM