Finger protector

Old February 6th 05, 08:57 PM
Marlys in Indiana

Default Finger protector

What do any of you use to protect your "underquilt" finger when hand
quilting?
I used to have what is called a needleglider that I dearly loved, but, being
made
of bone china and slipping off my finger onto a hardwood floor caused a bit
of
shattering that was not repairable. :-(( I was wondering what any of you
hand-
quilters use or if you have found a needleglider, if so, where? I bought
mine from
Herrschner's in Wisconsin but they no longer carry it - at least I can't
find it
on their website anymore. Also went to the website of the maker and I can't
access their catalog area although I was able to only a week ago. So I sent
them an angry e-mail and still awaiting their answer.
Marlys in Indiana

--

http://community.webshots.com/user/marletts

Old February 6th 05, 09:11 PM
Ginger in CA

I don't use anything on the underquilt finger. That way I know when the
needle is thru and rock it back to the top. By quilt's end I have a
wonderful callus on the middle finger of right hand.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

Ginger in CA

Old February 6th 05, 09:22 PM
Patty in NWO

Haven't had much time to do any hand quilting lately but when I do, I don't
use anything, and usually use the middle right finger, when that one wears
out I switch to right index finger.

Patty in NWO

Old February 6th 05, 10:05 PM
Marcella Peek

I don't use anything. But there are a few products out there for those
who want something. When you described yours I thought of the "Under
Thimble" but this page has that and several other options that might
work for you. You can click on the picture to see a larger view.

http://www.quiltknit.com/notions/thimble_2.htm

And I found a site that sells a needleglider:

http://www.jasmineheirlooms.com/access_thimble.htm

marcella

Old February 6th 05, 10:12 PM
Sandy Foster

"Marlys in Indiana" wrote:

[...]

I don't use anything at all. Over the years I've gotten to the point
where I can just *barely* prick my under-finger (usually the middle
finger of my right hand, since I'm left-handed) and rock the needle back
up again before it hurts at all. Still, if you do want that
needleglider, have you tried someplace like Clotilde's? She might have
it.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old February 6th 05, 10:40 PM
Kathy

I use electrical tape. Two layers on my underquilt finger. I can still
feel the needle but it doesn't prick my finger.

Kathy

Old February 6th 05, 11:22 PM
Julia in MN

I use a Clover square plate thimble. They're a bit hard to find, but I
really like it. I bought mine at a LQS that has since gone out of
business. My stitches are smaller and more even when I use it. Here's a
pictu
http://www.denverfabrics.com/Merchan...tegory_Code=FD

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old February 7th 05, 12:48 AM
Dannielle

Have you tried spoon quilting? I haven't yet either, but a friend tried it
and enjoyed it. I don't quilt by hand, so YMMV!

Dannielle

Old February 7th 05, 01:59 AM
Marlys in Indiana

Marcella,
Right, that is the website, but when you click on the "purchase" link
you get a "sign in" page and I don't know how they expect you to sign
in when they don't tell you how to register to start with. That was my
problem.
Thanks for finding the other place though too. And I already bought
an "Aunt Becky" but I just don't like it as well as the needleglider and
I'm having trouble getting "it to work with me" properly - ion other words,
I'm having trouble hanging on to the darn thing when I'm quilting.
Marlys in Indiana

Old February 7th 05, 01:59 AM
Marlys in Indiana

Sandy,
Thanks for the idea, but she doesn't have anything like it either.
I'm hoping that using one of the recessed top thimbles might work
just as well.
Marlys in Indiana

"Marlys in Indiana" wrote:

[...]

pout: can't do any stitching well today Monique Reed Quilting 7 January 21st 05 03:29 PM
Beading my little finger off roxan Beads 3 August 18th 04 07:16 AM
OUCH!!! Sewing Fingers Michelle Lee Quilting 17 November 27th 03 09:53 PM
raw fingers Jalynne Quilting 19 September 16th 03 09:08 PM
Pink Finger cots Rebecca Casady Polymer Clay 0 July 12th 03 09:20 AM