Saturday a.m.

Old November 11th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

Default Saturday a.m.

Good day everyone!

I don't usually have time to pop in on the weekends, but DH is very busy
sharpening the chain saw, so I have some time now. Once he gets that done -
we're outside to do the usual woodcutting and splitting for the woodstove.
We are definitely into cooler almost winter weather now. It's around -10°C
(14F), with a 20km wind blowing, and grey, depressing skies. Yuck. Oh well,
dress in layers, peel some off later.

Not much new here - I'm working on the Christmas gifts (sweater and
shawl)..... they're coming along and I fully expect to have the sweater
done, but not sure about the shawl, since it's laceweight. The pattern
calls for 3 hanks of yarn, and I'm only done about 2/3 of the first hank.
If you saw this thing right now, it looks more like a scarf than a shawl, so
I fully expect to be blocking the snot out of it. I wish I had some
blocking wires, so am planning to ask around with my knitting friends to
either borrow or buy some. I'm really surprised that neither Elann or Ram
Wools has any for sale. (pout) I'll probably end up having to buy some from
the U.S., and that doesn't thrill me. I'm still working away on my fine
chenille shawl for me - it's almost mindless, so I take it to my knitting
group nights, and that way at least get something done on it.

I'm considering frogging my Peacock Feathers Shawl. I intend to pick it up
after the gifts are done, but I started it (for the 2nd time) in cotton
yarn. Now, I'm not sure I like the cotton yarn for the shawl. I had
started it the first time in a fine mohair, but that wasn't a good choice
either. I'm thinking maybe a laceweight unhairy wool or wool blend. I'm
not giving up on it though, I think the pattern is beautiful......

Last week, I strung some new white LED lights on one of my lighted deer
ornaments outside, and will for sure have to do the other one now. I hate
those mini lights with a passion, since when one burns out, the whole string
is out. It looks a little weird, one deer in yellow toned mini lights and t
he other one in bright white LED lights. Oh well, I never did profess to
have elegant taste. I like Christmas decorations, what can I say? (laugh).

Have a great weekend!
Shelagh

Old November 11th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article , Shillelagh wrote:

Hi!
snip
I fully expect to have the sweater
done, but not sure about the shawl, since it's laceweight. The pattern
calls for 3 hanks of yarn, and I'm only done about 2/3 of the first hank.
If you saw this thing right now, it looks more like a scarf than a shawl, so
I fully expect to be blocking the snot out of it. I wish I had some
blocking wires, so am planning to ask around with my knitting friends to
either borrow or buy some. I'm really surprised that neither Elann or Ram
Wools has any for sale. (pout) I'll probably end up having to buy some from
the U.S., and that doesn't thrill me.

There's the string-and-pins method - it's not as rigid as the wires, but with
strong smooth string it seems to work for many people, and may take
fewer pins. Then there's the original Shetland method, a wooden frame and
the shawl stretched out to it with string. And you already have cotton yarn.

=Tamar
Old November 11th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Richard Eney" wrote in message

There's the string-and-pins method - it's not as rigid as the wires, but

with
strong smooth string it seems to work for many people, and may take
fewer pins. Then there's the original Shetland method, a wooden frame and
the shawl stretched out to it with string. And you already have cotton

yarn.

=Tamar

Hey thanks - I never thought of that! (string & pins) I would use my cotton
dishcloth yarn, not the expensive cotton in the shawl that will be frogged.
The shawl that needs blocking is knitted in Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud, colour
Autumn.
Here's a quick photo taken just now:
http://tinyurl.com/yxouxp

Shelagh

Old November 11th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Midwest poster

"Shillelagh" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Shelagh, I'll pass on an idea that I read in another group. A woman
wrote that, instead of buying the expensive blocking wires, she used 20"
long boundary markers which she found in a home improvement store.

--
Jan in MN

Old November 11th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Midwest poster" wrote in message

Hi Shelagh, I'll pass on an idea that I read in another group. A woman
wrote that, instead of buying the expensive blocking wires, she used 20"
long boundary markers which she found in a home improvement store.

--
Jan in MN

That's what I love about this group..... this is the second great suggestion
I've received. I'll have to look up boundary markers, since I have no idea
what they are. Thanks so much!

Shelagh

Old November 11th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Shillelagh wrote:
Good day everyone!

Well, we had our own Remembrance Day service here at PC, which was
nice. Last night I went to the book store where the Yarn Harlot was the
guest. That was fabulous. I also made a spicy chicken Thai pizza, and
am making egg drop soup tonight. Tomorrow I will be studying like mad.
The joys of it all!
It is raining today, and that is supposed to continue all week. Yuck!

Higs,
Katherine

Old November 12th 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

Glad you got to hear the Yarn Harlot. Ranee and I saw her at the
Madrona Fiber Arts Retreat once and I have never laughed so hard. My
stomach hurt from laughing. She was terrific.
Judy

Old November 12th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

JCT wrote:
Glad you got to hear the Yarn Harlot. Ranee and I saw her at the
Madrona Fiber Arts Retreat once and I have never laughed so hard. My
stomach hurt from laughing. She was terrific.

I agree. I have to start reading her blog more regularly, I think.

Higs,
Katherine

Old November 12th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Katherine" wrote in message
oups.com...

JCT wrote:
Glad you got to hear the Yarn Harlot. Ranee and I saw her at the
Madrona Fiber Arts Retreat once and I have never laughed so hard. My
stomach hurt from laughing. She was terrific.

I agree. I have to start reading her blog more regularly, I think.

Higs,
Katherine

Did you read about her wedding and wedding shawl? - tear inducing I'll tell
you! You can find it in the archives, under the following dates:
Oct 2 and 5 - info on the wedding
Oct 20 & 24 - the wedding shawl - a thing of beauty

Shelagh

Old November 13th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Shillelagh wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message
oups.com...

JCT wrote:
Glad you got to hear the Yarn Harlot. Ranee and I saw her at the
Madrona Fiber Arts Retreat once and I have never laughed so hard. My
stomach hurt from laughing. She was terrific.

I agree. I have to start reading her blog more regularly, I think.

Higs,
Katherine

Did you read about her wedding and wedding shawl? - tear inducing I'll tell
you! You can find it in the archives, under the following dates:
Oct 2 and 5 - info on the wedding
Oct 20 & 24 - the wedding shawl - a thing of beauty

I saw her wedding shawl, live! She wore it to the presentation. It was
absolutely beautiful, and felt like gossamer. I even took pictures! g

Higs,
Katherine