I GOT A KNITTING MACHINE!!

Old January 2nd 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default I GOT A KNITTING MACHINE!!

Christmas was a week ago and I'm still geeking totally out! My
mother got me a knitting machine! I've been complaining lately that
with all the crocheting and knitting I've been doing, I still haven't
had time to make quickie afghans to decorate the new apartment with
or make pillows or anything else I'd planned on doing. The crazy old
woman got me a knitting machine and I'm just in heaven! I have
opened it, fondled it, watched the video, thought and dreamt and
daydreamed about it for the week, and as soon as school starts up
tomorrow and I have a kid-free house for a couple of hours, I'm going
to put that bad boy together and start practicing.

Also fun on the Christmas haul inventory: my sister got me some
several skeins of Bavarian wool from a wool shop in Germany, and it's
absolutely lovely. It's a charcoal grey, heathered with a bit of
cream and black. I cannot wait to make something with it -- I'm
thinking of a ruana or something with simple lines so the lovely wool
can be shown off to its best advantage. There's something about this
wool that seems to show nicely under light, and I'd like to keep the
stiches simple so that characteristic can be seen.

I bought MYSELF a silly thing, but I've loved thumbing through it: a
Crochet Pattern-a-Day calendar (subtitled "with Annie Modesitt &
Friends"). It's published by Accord Publishing ( http://
www.accordpublishing.com ) and I bought it at Barnes & Noble
booksellers. It's kind of fun for those of you who like oddball
projects. The December 31/January 1 pattern is a mini roll-up
checkerboard that you can use nickles and pennies on as game pieces.
It's adorable! I'm already thinking of five or six people I can make
them for as gifts.

--
Threnody ::
Old January 2nd 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Congratulations!
I can imagine your excitement!
I think I hadn't been ready for work after Christmas if it"was me"! LOL!
AUD ;-)

"Threnody" skrev i melding
19...

Old January 2nd 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi,

I have the crochet calendar sitting on top of the tower and wait to see
what the new pattern is every day. I had the knitting one last year and
I love them.

Wow, what a nice mother to give you a knitting machine, can't wait to
see what you make with it.

Hugs,

Nora

Old January 3rd 06, 07:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

you never said what kind of a knitting machine it is?
if you need any help just ask.

bart

Old January 3rd 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Christmas was a week ago and I'm still geeking totally out! My
mother got me a knitting machine!

It sounds like you got a Bond Ultimate Sweater Machine, as those come
with a video. If that's the case, can I ask you a question? I've had
an Incredible Sweater Machine for a while but bought the upgrade
carriage with the new reversible keyplates. Do the instructions say
which side is the 1/2 size? I have a 3 on one side and nothing on the
other, and I THINK the 3 has to be facing up for you to use the 3
side, and with the 3 down that means you are using the 3.5 side to
knit, but I'm not positive, as I've lost my sheet that came with the
upgrade.

If you do have a USM, a couple of pointers from me. I tried the new
USM carriage, and I actually don't like it as much as I like the ISM
carriage, probably because I've been using the ISM for many years now.
One thing they say about the USM is that the new redesigned keyplates
and bed do NOT need to be waxed. I found that to be untrue. I did
need to wax them in order to get the carriage to move smoothly over
the bed. Run the wax over the interior parts of the KP on the side
that will be interacting with the needles. I also wax the front
retainer rails, especially the seams where they join, and then I run
it along the back ridge of the machine (top and back side), where
there are more seams that the carriage must move over.

If you've got a USM, they no longer include a wax wheel in the kit,
but a 100% paraffin candle will do just fine. I keep them around for
light during the storms when the power tends to go out, and I just cut
off a 1.5 inch chunk and use that to wax my machine. I don't wax it
every time I start to knit, but when I make something really big like
a sweater or afghan, I'll wax the next time I use the machine to keep
things from binding up, or if in the middle of a more complex project,
if I notice the carriage isn't running as smoothly, I'll stop and wax
up. I also used a chunk of the same candle to make a wheel for my
Brother. Wax is used where the yarn feeds through the tension mast,
and rather than pay a huge amount for a finely molded wax wheel, I
just cut my candle chunk to fit, taking out the center where the wick
is, and it smooths itself down while I knit.

Another problem newbies to the Bond family have is the "latchet" tool,
which is used to do up ribbing or any stitch that will need to be a
purl on the right side of the work. Someone's child suggested using a
crochet hook, and I found that it works just great for me, cut my
ribbing time down by a whopping 2/3, because the "latchet" was always
trying to snag or close before I had the stitches properly secured. I
use size E or F for baby weight, G for worsted, and I or J for ribbing
with bulky yarns.

That's it for now. Have fun with it whichever machine you got!

Leah

Old January 12th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

spinninglilac wrote:
how wonderful for you keep us updated on what you do on this
machine.....what type is it??

higz Cher

"Threnody" wrote in message
19...

[...]

Cher,

It is the sweater wizard. I purchased it just for that. To make simple
sweaters fast.

I will let you know.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old January 12th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Dennis many happy long knitted parts ,,
mirjam
:

Old January 13th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default I GOT A KNITTING MACHINE!! Mirjam

Thanks Mirjam!!!

RCTQ FAQ for May 2005 frood Quilting 5 May 7th 05 07:07 PM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 November 3rd 04 12:47 AM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 September 1st 04 02:30 PM
FAQs for Newbies and Longtimers Diana Curtis Quilting 21 December 8th 03 01:52 PM
FAQ's on buying a new Sewing Machine Butterfly Quilting 0 October 17th 03 04:34 PM