Help please.... My Singer 27K (old) has indigestion

Old January 10th 04, 06:18 AM
canna

Default Help please.... My Singer 27K (old) has indigestion

I have a copy of the old Singer 27k manual, but even so cannot improve
the mess I'm in. The machine sews with a long line of thread on the
top surface of the material, with intermittant loops over the thread.
The fun starts underneath the material, where there is a tangled
forest of sewing thread.

I'm pretty broke, and would really like to try and fix this myself if
possible. I can't believe it's just a tension issue. It looks
awful. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old January 10th 04, 06:45 AM
nana2b

Just a guess, is the bobbin in the right way and the thread going in the
correct direction? I do not know about this particular machine. You might
post this at re.crafts.textiles.quilting. There are quite a few people that
are knowledgeable there. Nana

Old January 10th 04, 09:25 AM
Pogonip

canna wrote:
I have a copy of the old Singer 27k manual, but even so cannot improve
the mess I'm in. The machine sews with a long line of thread on the
top surface of the material, with intermittant loops over the thread.
The fun starts underneath the material, where there is a tangled
forest of sewing thread.

I'm pretty broke, and would really like to try and fix this myself if
possible. I can't believe it's just a tension issue. It looks
awful. Any advice would be much appreciated.

It's a bit trickier winding the long bobbins than it is
the round ones. Generally, everyone I know finds they
need to keep a hand on the thread while the bobbin winds,
although you might have a machine whose heart-shaped cam
still works flawlessly. Thread on the botton is caused by
an upper thread problem. Try using 2 different color
threads, one in the bobbin, another on top, and you'll see
which thread is glopping.

Check to see that you have a nice new needle, and that it
is inserted all the way, and facing the correct direction.

Check your tension disks to make sure that they are very
clean, and that the presser foot is up when you put the
thread through it. There is a little pin that moves when
you raise the foot, and it releases the pressure on the
disks. Once the thread is snugly in the disks, lower the
foot and the disks tighten against each other.

--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
Life is about the journey, not about the destination.

Old January 10th 04, 08:02 PM
Sally Holmes

canna wrote:
I have a copy of the old Singer 27k manual, but even so cannot improve
the mess I'm in. The machine sews with a long line of thread on the
top surface of the material, with intermittant loops over the thread.
The fun starts underneath the material, where there is a tangled
forest of sewing thread.

It sounds like no/not enough tension on the upper thread. You can try to fix
it like this:

Raise the presser foot. Unthread the machine. "Floss" gently between the
tension discs with a piece of soft lint-free cloth (because fluff sometimes
builds up there). Change the needle, because a machine needs a new needle
from time to time and it may as well be now. Re-thread the machine, making
sure that the thread goes into the proper place between the tension discs
and through the little hole in the take-up lever (that's the hooky thing
that goes up and down and hits you in the forehead when you lean in too
close).

Set the tension dial to about half-way and try sewing. Turn the tension up
if it's still loopy. If turning the tension up makes no difference, your
tension mechanism is very poorly and may need replacing, and coughJoanne or
Ron may be able to help.

Sally

Old January 23rd 04, 11:17 PM
AmazeR

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 05:45:58 +0000, nana2b wrote:

Just a guess, is the bobbin in the right way and the thread going in the
correct direction? I do not know about this particular machine. You might
post this at re.crafts.textiles.quilting. There are quite a few people that
are knowledgeable there. Nana

Thanks for all your help here.

I recently bought a second-hand Bernette 330 for my 9 yr old daughter and
we have been having the same problems, so are going to try these
solutions. Will let you know how we get on.

AmazeR

Old January 30th 04, 06:15 AM
AmazeR

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 07:17:27 +0000, IMS wrote:

Big loops on the bottom is usually indicative of upper thread
problems...so, somewhere along the line, the upper thread isn't happy.

Take the thread out, and using new thread, re-thread the machine.

Change to a different needle, making sure it is in all the way and 'set'
in the right direction.

If the problem still persists, take a pipe cleaner and 'floss' between
the tension discs; something may be catching the thread there. Also,
take out the bobbin and clean there also...looking for any stray bits of
lint, thread, etc.

Lastly, it's possible the upper thread is getting caught in the bobbin
area.

Try using a different bobbin. (Perhaps the old one has developed a
'burr' which is catching the upper thread, or it wasn't wound as tightly
as it should have been....)

Then, while you have the bobbin out, if you are able to take out the
bobbin assembly, do so...and clean out that entire area. If there's
lint, thread, etc, it can catch the top thread and create problems.

My 401 will not tolerate ANY fluff wads in the bobbin area. As soon as
this happens I get a rats nest of thread under the material. Once I
take out the bobbin assembly and clear off the lint/thread/etc (and it's
always there....!) it's happy again.

snip

Well, thank you for all your help.. My daughters machine works fine now.

We changed the needle, cleaned out the upper tension area and adjusted the
tension to the fabric and it goes perfectly.

Thank you very much

BTW, the machine is a Bernette 330. We have noticed that the upper
tension is very sensitive to fabric weight. At present for denim fabric,
we have the upper tension set at 6.8 (which I consider to be quite high),
but there you are..

Mavis

Old January 30th 04, 07:42 AM

AmazeR wrote:

BTW, the machine is a Bernette 330. We have noticed that the upper
tension is very sensitive to fabric weight. At present for denim fabric,
we have the upper tension set at 6.8 (which I consider to be quite high),
but there you are..

Oh, dear, isn't a Bernette a cheapie sold by Bernina?

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Old January 30th 04, 09:34 AM
AmazeR

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 06:42:56 +0000, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to
reply wrote:

AmazeR wrote:

BTW, the machine is a Bernette 330. We have noticed that the upper
tension is very sensitive to fabric weight. At present for denim fabric,
we have the upper tension set at 6.8 (which I consider to be quite high),
but there you are..

Oh, dear, isn't a Bernette a cheapie sold by Bernina?

Yeah, but my DD is 9 and I thought that it would be a good machine for her
to flog.. I have a Bernina 1030 and a Globelock M-34 and I wasn't about
to spend a fortune on a machine for her.. My mother bought me a similar
machine to learn on but it was a Singer (very basic machine - which I gave
back to her when I bought my Bernina) It gave me no end of problems! But
I learnt how to sew!

Mavis

Old January 30th 04, 12:04 PM
Kate Dicey

reply wrote:

AmazeR wrote:

BTW, the machine is a Bernette 330. We have noticed that the upper
tension is very sensitive to fabric weight. At present for denim fabric,
we have the upper tension set at 6.8 (which I consider to be quite high),
but there you are..

Oh, dear, isn't a Bernette a cheapie sold by Bernina?

Yeah, but my DD is 9 and I thought that it would be a good machine for her
to flog.. I have a Bernina 1030 and a Globelock M-34 and I wasn't about
to spend a fortune on a machine for her.. My mother bought me a similar
machine to learn on but it was a Singer (very basic machine - which I gave
back to her when I bought my Bernina) It gave me no end of problems! But
I learnt how to sew!

Mavis

I think the frustrations of these machines are worth more than you pay
for them. A good old fashioned straight stitch Singer is a better bet!
Pre 1964, of course! ;D (Just my little prejudices showing!).

Personally, for budget machines, I like the Toyotas and the Husky Stars
better than the Singers and Bernette machines, and a friend has had a
great experience with low end Janomes (she bought 12 for her school
recently, and I must try them, because all my previous experience with
Janomes has been horrible!)
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk