Finding Fabric HELP!

Old August 1st 03, 01:23 AM
Lilacfairymoon05

Default Finding Fabric HELP!

Hi!
I think I found my next big personal project while waiting for some
model stitching. I would like to start stitching a project from
Stitcher's World (Sept '03 issue) called Victorian Garden on page 20.
However I would like to do the piece as a whole rather than in
panels. The directions list a piece of Aida fabric that is at a
minimum of 48" x 48" in 14 count Zweigart Victorian Christmas Green.

I am having a devil of a time trying to find it and was wondering if
anyone knew of place I can obtain a piece that large? I did contact
Nordic Needle who were wonderful but could not obtain a piece of that
width. Zweigart does have the 18 count on their website but not the
14 count the pattern calls for.

I am puzzled by the pattern requiring the amount of fabric that
cannot be obtained.

Any help or suggestions would be most welcome!
Laurie

Old August 1st 03, 05:52 AM
FKBABB

This is odd. My reading of the Zwiegart site is that they do manufacture 14
count Xmas green in14 count in both regualar and 59" widths. Regular, I
believe, is 54". Perhaps your problem came in asking for a 48" width,
especially since Nordic Needle sells its fabrics based on the inch times the
width of the cloth. You should be able to buy the fabric any place that will
special order for you, keeping in mind, given the width, you will have to buy
more than you actually need. Think of the extra as free fabric for bookmarks
or ornaments.

Annie

Old August 1st 03, 11:54 AM
Elizabeth O'Rourke

Have you tried contacting Zweigart and asking who sells it off the bale
rather than in pre-cut pieces?
www.sewitall.co.uk have the Christmas Green Aida in metre lengths (40
inches) with a 71 inch width. They are very helpful and speedy and would
possibly cut you a slightly longer piece if you requested it.
Liz (no affiliation )
http://www.classicstitches.com
The magazine for stitchers worldwide

Old August 1st 03, 02:01 PM
Lilacfairymoon05

Thanks to all for the help!
The stitch count is 504 x 504 for the entire piece on Victorian Christmas Green
Aida. I think I will send a copy of my e-mail to the magazine for help. This is
for a rug then can also be done in needlepoint but directions were given for
both cross stitch and needlepoint....thought it would look perfect hung in my
room!
Old August 1st 03, 04:32 PM
Gillian Murray

I think Aida almost always comes in a small width. OTOH, evenweaves come in
the wide width. So, why don't you buy some 28ct Jobelan, Jubilee, Monaco or
whatever, and stitch it over two. It will finish up the same size, and if
there are any partial stitches in the pattern, you will find them easier to
do.

Just my thought. Look at www.silkweaver.com for examples of fabric. I have
always been pleased with them, and I know our very own Kim from Fabrics2U
would have some ideas.

Gillian

Old August 1st 03, 07:22 PM
Meredith

According to my calculations, that's 36" wide on 14-count fabric. I
haven't seen the pattern - is additional space needed for some other
reason? Because if not, a 43" piece would leave you with 3.5" margins
on each side, which is enough for framing. Hmm, now I want to go search
this magazine out.

Meredith

Old August 1st 03, 07:33 PM
Lilacfairymoon05

Hi once again and another BIG thank you for all the help and advice I have
received regarding my question. I did e-mail the magazine and after I received
my e-mails back as undeliverable, I sent one to the sales department requesting
they please forward it on to the appropriate person. The following is the
response I received back. I did reply back asking if the listed fabric amount
was incorrect in the magazine.

"Hi,
Sorry that you had trouble reaching us. There are a few options.
You can substitute 18 ct. aida or stich on Belfast linen which comes in
55"width. The 14 count does come in 43" width which will yield 3 1/2 " on each
side. You will need 1 1/2 yards.
You may need to order from your favorite shop. There is a shop called Pocket
Full of Stitches that I know of that can order this for you.
1-800-234-1761.
Good luck and thank you for subscribing to the magazine.
Marsha Robinson"

Old August 3rd 03, 06:10 PM
Ceredwynn \(remove the bad robot to reply\)

You might try www.silkweaver.com, I've gotten some bigger pieces from them
before
[...]

Fabrics & free shipping on Quanities joan Marketplace 0 December 6th 03 06:12 PM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
fabrics on bidville joan Marketplace 0 September 29th 03 04:49 PM