removing a label - on topic - sort off

Old May 15th 13, 01:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default removing a label - on topic - sort off

okay - a puzzler for the chemistry types among us. Years ago I had a
plastic first aid kit in the truck. It doesn't fit in the car's glove
box. But dang, it's the perfect size to hold "stuff" for a travel bag.
Or just to store buttons/charms etc...
EXCEPT - I can not get the printed label off. I've tried Goo Gone,
Isopropyl alcohol, salt and vinegar (my grand mother's favorite for
sticky stuff)
It is not printed on - you can get between the two and chip a little off
at time.

Thoughts - what haven't I tried

Old May 15th 13, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ruth[_4_]

On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:07:12 AM UTC-5, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
okay - a puzzler for the chemistry types among us. Years ago I had a

plastic first aid kit in the truck. It doesn't fit in the car's glove

box. But dang, it's the perfect size to hold "stuff" for a travel bag.

Or just to store buttons/charms etc...

EXCEPT - I can not get the printed label off. I've tried Goo Gone,

Isopropyl alcohol, salt and vinegar (my grand mother's favorite for

sticky stuff)

It is not printed on - you can get between the two and chip a little off

at time.

Thoughts - what haven't I tried

WD-40 worked for me when I had a problem getting the glue off of a jar that I wanted to use. Before that, I used all the above which didn't work either. I had read somewhere, (Pinterest?) that gave uses for WD-40 so I tried it as my last chance, (I don't care for the smell), and it worked. Give it a shot.
Old May 15th 13, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 5/15/13 8:53 AM, Ruth wrote:
[...]

about to leave - but will try it when I get home

Old May 15th 13, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug[_2_]

Try smearing some mayonnaise on the sticker and letting it sit somewhere for a couple of hours. We used to use it in the vet. hospital to remove "sticky goo" of whatever type from animal fur. My husband stores is hardware in plastic jars and we frequently have an empty jar smeared with mayo in the window until one of us gets around to washing off the mayo AND the sticker goo. I've even used it to get sap of pants. The mayo gets the sap and then the laundry detergent gets the mayo. :-) (sorry Sheena)
Old May 16th 13, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joy Beeson

On Wed, 15 May 2013 21:57:44 -0500, "Fred" wrote:

Peanut butter works on some paper based labels - smear on let it sit for a
while,

Any grease that's thick enough to stay where you put it is likely to
dissolve stickum that isn't water soluble. And I've had good luck
with repeated thin coats of cooking oil.

Give any solvent lots and lots of time, and it will work better.
(Sometimes too well -- a bottle of detergent fell over in the closet
and I didn't notice until the plastic flooring had a big hole in it.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old May 16th 13, 03:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

wrote in message
On Wed, 15 May 2013 08:56:51 -0700 (PDT), Liz from Humbug
wrote:

Try smearing some mayonnaise on the sticker and letting it sit somewhere
for a couple of hours. We used to use it in the vet. hospital to remove
"sticky goo" of whatever type from animal fur. My husband stores is
hardware in plastic jars and we frequently have an empty jar smeared with
mayo in the window until one of us gets around to washing off the mayo AND
the sticker goo. I've even used it to get sap of pants. The mayo gets
the sap and then the laundry detergent gets the mayo. :-) (sorry Sheena)

WhatdidIdo?? lol I'm a mayo person, not MW !

I have heard of smearing mayo, likewise the WD 40 and I always try
Goo Gone first, after all those, there is also nail polish remover,
the acetone works well.

I would be careful with polish remover - it can take the finish of the main
article.
Peanut butter works on some paper based labels - smear on let it sit for a
while,
Some product code labels will come off with WD-40 - some will not.
Some product code labels will come off with heat - some will not.

--
Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com

Copyright 2013, This post is for Google and Yahoo groups
only and if found on Sew Girls, Facebook or Twitter it is an
Illegal copyright infrigement.

Old May 17th 13, 01:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug[_2_]

On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:07:12 AM UTC-7, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
okay - a puzzler for the chemistry types among us. Years ago I had a

plastic first aid kit in the truck. It doesn't fit in the car's glove

box. But dang, it's the perfect size to hold "stuff" for a travel bag.

Or just to store buttons/charms etc...

EXCEPT - I can not get the printed label off. I've tried Goo Gone,

Isopropyl alcohol, salt and vinegar (my grand mother's favorite for

sticky stuff)

It is not printed on - you can get between the two and chip a little off

at time.

Thoughts - what haven't I tried

The "sorry" was for the smiley face I added. lol!

sort on topic Cheryl Isaak Needlework 19 August 22nd 11 02:34 AM
Sort of on topic Cheryl Isaak Needlework 0 March 11th 09 01:12 PM
Sort of On Topic Lucille Needlework 21 March 24th 06 08:19 AM
Almost off topic - removing iron on goo Cheryl Isaak Needlework 9 October 3rd 04 11:28 AM
I've been away... OT< but there's a sort of ON topic bit at the end... Kate Dicey Quilting 9 December 10th 03 07:37 PM