UFOs

Old July 9th 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson[_3_]

Default UFOs

I'm pretty sure that everyone here (apart from Ragmop) has a couple of
UFOs, probably a few more than they would care to admit or would like
and I once again wonder.... why is it that we have UFOs?

For myself, one quilt is waiting for me to remember how to do a seamless
join on the binding, and then I can finish binding and it will be done.
So it's about 90% finished, but I never get the time to read the bit
in the book which is relevant to this, thread the machine with the right
colour and DO IT. Also, I do not like the bit where you cut the binding
fabric after you make the join as it seems so final. Perhaps I am
overthinking this.

I have a few more where I have simply lost interest. Occasionally I
will feel pangs of guilt and work on these projects but my heart is not
in it. I really should finish them, if only to give them away, but it
is not fun to sew because you SHOULD, instead of for sheer enjoyment.
It becomes simply a chore, a task to cross off your list and rather akin
to doing the washing up or scrubbing floors.

At least one UFO is not done because I don't like the colour scheme and
althought the recipient will love it, I drag my feet on completing it.
Also, I am unwilling to post this overseas due to the tiny chance it
might go missing or get stolen, so I am planning on getting it done for
our wedding next year, when I can lure the recipient over, or it will
have to wait until we go to the US and it can be transported in my
carryon luggage. So all that acts as a disincentive to finish. I need
deadlines.

One UFO is unfinished because the recipient died half-way through the
piecing of it. It is brocade and velvet (never again!) and will look
lovely. However, everyone I know has a cat and said cat would claw the
quilt or shed all over it, and this quilt really needs a careful,
cat-free owner. While I try to find such a recipient, it sits
half-completed.

Well there is the woeful tale of several of my UFOs and why they came to
be UFOs instead of crib quilts, twin quilts, lap quilts and so on. I
can almost hear them pleading with me to come rescue them from their
dismal fate.

Why are your UFOs still UFOs?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old July 9th 11, 11:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH[_2_]

On Jul 9, 5:41*pm, Jo Gibson wrote:
[...]

I love the planning, designing, picking colors, piecing, and anything
to do with the top, but I hate the sandwiching and quilting, so I have
at least a dozen full-sized tops languishing on the shelf. I can
always find an excuse to start something new and forget about the tops
waiting for years.
Old July 10th 11, 12:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I think it just comes down to human nature Jo. We lose interest and have
our eyes on the next new idea. Think about how many folks almost are all
the way through college.
My old guild used to do swaps and auctions where we mixed up our projects.
I was so happy to see an almost finished top return to show and tell all
finished
by another quilter that was able to get excited about it. I was really over
working
on it but she picked it up and carried on. Sometimes letting go of projects
is a
good thing. This is a hobby for fun. Enjoy it whatever way you can.
Taria

Old July 10th 11, 06:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

AHA! I saw that. You said, "For my wedding next year". YeeeeeeeeHA.
I've been so hoping to hear that you've decided to marry that wonderful,
brilliant precious babyson's father.
Well. I reckon that's whom you are planning to wed.
Happy, happy day here. You two have been through so much trauma and joy
together; might as well get the vows and paperwork done.
As to UFOs; their time will come. When there's a big need like the
disaster in Japan, it was good to turn to my UFO tops and have an easy start
to getting a hug ready to send.
Can't think about UFOs. Gotta go rouse the gators and do a happy dance.
Jo's got "my wedding" plans. And ah One and ah Two. Might even get them to
waltz. Polly

Old July 10th 11, 08:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

I'll join Polly in this! I re-read that bit, and decided there was no
other meaning g
Congratulations Jo. The UFOs will have to wait a bit longer I suspect:
lots of planning and, probably, needlework, ahead. Can't wait to see
the page boy outfit g
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old July 10th 11, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Interesting! Like you, I have a piece produced with one of those
"instant" piecing techniques, using stuff from my stash. One of those
things where you don't really know how it will look until you've put a
lot of it together. And it doesn't look that good! I would have picked
very different fabrics if I'd had to buy it all new. But that's my
only real UFO. I have no cats either.

Your binding problem is simple and would take about 10 minutes to do.
You have a tail of binding at start and finish, right? Open up the
starting tail and fold down a 45-degree corner at the end and press
the crease. Smooth it down along the seam edge. Lay the end tail over
it, smooth everything down so it's exactly in the right spot. Grab the
bit where your folded corner lies and stick a pin in it. Open up all
folds. It should then be in position to sew along the crease. Before
you cut off the excess, lay it out flat again to make sure it fits.
And I can give you a deadline too: finish this before you log onto the
newsgroup again!
Roberta in D

Old July 11th 11, 12:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann

I am very uncomfortable with UFOs and I prefer to work on one project
at a time. Multiple projects distract me to the point of paralysis.
My definition of "finished sufficiently to put away" is a flimsy -- an
unquilted top. I can live with flimsies for years.

I apply bindings by machine. I usually zigzag the top stitching.

Nann

Old July 11th 11, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

Like you, Nann, I'd much rather finish one project before starting another.
I also have to have a neat and clean sewing room before I can sit down and
sew! That's just me! Currently, I'm working on some crafty projects for
our Church Bazaar in November. The only UFO's I have are two sets of blocks
that I won in drawings. I really don't like the one set at all, and the
other set came in two sizes....even though everyone followed (or didn't
follow) the same directions! I'm thinking I could make two table runners or
table toppers....one from each size!

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old July 11th 11, 11:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

That's interesting. In my cache of quilting a top is considered a ufo.
I like the idea of counting them out though. Less ufo's in a snap!
Taria

UFOs??? Fred Needlework 16 January 23rd 08 08:10 PM
Labels for UFOs René Quilting 20 October 9th 06 03:18 AM
OT - Finishing old UFOs.... Johanna Gibson Quilting 14 March 28th 06 03:48 PM
UFOs Brian Christiansen Quilting 4 March 26th 05 10:08 PM
Just wondering...UFOs Cow Whisperer Yarn 8 January 18th 05 06:34 AM