OT this IS funny

Old July 9th 11, 04:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT this IS funny

No, Taria, there are no traffic jams here in the Swamp - but to get to our
most best favorite vacation place - the Smokey Mountains - we must go
through Birmingham, Atlanta and/or Chattanooga. ( Those guys Invented
traffic jams.) We tried a non-city route once and it took about 8 days to
get there.
I love Love Stefanie Plum. If I remembered how, I would lust after
Ranger. Polly

"Taria" wrote in message
Do you have traffic jams much in the swamp? I use auto club maps.
Everyone laughs when I pull one out but they always work for me.
Never out of batteries or giving wrong directions.

If you read the Stefanie Plum books you know that Ranger keeps
a tracking device on her cars. That way he can show up every time
one gets blown up. lol
The chips in the dogs here don't actually track them just id when they
are read. They don’t let me out enough to bother with tracking.
Taria

"Polly Esther" wrote in message ...

I was thinking Mr. Esther and I would enjoy some sort of GPS system for
our
little trips. So. I Googled: GPS system for seniors.
I got: a system for tracking seniors. Do they put a tracking chip
beneath the skin of the old folks like the vet does for family pets?
I reckon we are family pets but Really!
Can't decide whether to pursue that search or not. I would like to
have
something in the car to alert us to locked-up traffic jams or when to get
in
the turn lane. Don't want something so complicated that we can't figure
it
out.
Maybe a chip to keep track of us is a good idea. Polly

Old July 9th 11, 07:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

24 might possibly be! 18? - never.

You're priceless g
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes
I may need tracking soon. Yesterday I called the awning store and
asked them to come replace the awnings on the west side of our home. If
'awning' is not an around the world noun - it's just a sort of canvas
bonnet/roof over glass windows or doors to protect from fierce sun and
rain.
The nice man there remembered our address, said he'd be by soon and
asked for our phone number.
I had no idea. I don't ever call me. Why would I do that?
Our Yorkie QI wears a tag with our phone number on it in case he
escapes so the finder can call us.
If I don't get a tracking device for seniors, maybe I at least need
to start wearing a tag. Would 18 karat gold be pretentious? Would 14
be better? Polly

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old July 9th 11, 11:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

14K is more durable. ROFL!
Roberta in D

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 22:02:57 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

I may need tracking soon. Yesterday I called the awning store and asked
them to come replace the awnings on the west side of our home. If 'awning'
is not an around the world noun - it's just a sort of canvas bonnet/roof
over glass windows or doors to protect from fierce sun and rain.
The nice man there remembered our address, said he'd be by soon and
asked for our phone number.
I had no idea. I don't ever call me. Why would I do that?
Our Yorkie QI wears a tag with our phone number on it in case he escapes
so the finder can call us.
If I don't get a tracking device for seniors, maybe I at least need to
start wearing a tag. Would 18 karat gold be pretentious? Would 14 be
better? Polly

"Hanne" wrote in message
On 8 Jul., 10:50, "Bobbie Sews More" wrote:
"Polly Esther"

I was thinking Mr. Esther and I would enjoy some sort of GPS system for
our
little trips. So. I Googled: GPS system for seniors.
I got: a system for tracking seniors. Do they put a tracking chip
beneath the skin of the old folks like the vet does for family pets?
I reckon we are family pets but Really!
Can't decide whether to pursue that search or not. I would like to
have something in the car to alert us to locked-up traffic jams or when
get in the turn lane. Don't want something so complicated that we can't
figure it out.
Maybe a chip to keep track of us is a good idea. Polly

Do you have a cell phone? If you do, are you aware that it might have the
GPS available on it? Ours is a Verizon and we can get GPS for just a day,
or permanently. I'm not up on all this and I would need to go to the
Verizon store to get it arranged and not just call them. Or I could just
ask my son!
Barbara in SC

When I got a new phone last summer I got a Nokia Smart Phone,
because they come with free maps. I've used it on roads (driving/
walking) in Denmark, England and various places in Eastern US. I
download the maps at home, and can use them abroad without the phone
being online or transmitting data on the phone net - so the useage is
free (unlike some phones that can only use maps online, which can get
very expensive without an all-inclusive data plan).

However, it does not (nor do any of the other phone navigation systems
as far as I know) do live traffic updates and such. For that you will
need a system meant for driving - they typically also have better lane
display and stuff like that.

My personal favourite make is Garmin, but many of my British friends
(rather Americans in the UK) swear by TomTom.

The senior tracking system uses bracelets, normally. They may give
people with dementia a more free life, knowing that they will be easy
to find if they do wander.

Hanne in DK

Old July 9th 11, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Dave thought a GPS system would be a waste of money since he had maps
but our Prius came with GPS installed. He has enjoyed it so much he
bought a portable unit for the older car. I really enjoy the messages
such as "left turn in .5 miles". Sorry can't tell you which portable
unit we have until I go to the car and check. Like any of the new
gadgets it takes a little while to understand but if I can master it
you will be fine. Susan

Old July 9th 11, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline[_3_]

Lucy (my GPS) is one of my very best friends. DH bought me one for my
birthday about 5 years ago. He didn't see me roll my eyes, but I couldn't
have cared less about having a GPS in my car. I usually printed out
MapQuest maps if I was going to a new place & whenever I got lost, I would
just call DH & ask him to get me on the correct path. Just before he gifted
me with Lucy, he bought a new car & decided not to trade in his old car, so
I drove the old car home. I stopped to run an errand (we were about 75
miles from home). Thanks goodness for cell phones, because the first time I
called him to make sure I was going the right way, I was headed to Los
Angeles, instead of San Francisco Bay Area. So, the 2nd time I called him,
I was headed to Sacramento, instead of Danville. I guess my husband thought
a GPS was going to be a winner of a gift for me. So, after about 12 hours
of owning Lucy, I started to fall in love!

We both have GPS's now (both on our 2nd models). We find we are more
inclined to explore things if we are in an unfamiliar area - we can ask Lucy
for a good lunch spot or the nearest gas station or the nearest dog park,
etc. It's a source of so much information. I have the capability on my
smart phone as well, but I think the GPS is probably safer, because it talks
and the screen is larger & did I mention that I'm in love with Lucy

They are soooooooooooo much cheaper now - you just need to go to a store
that carries several different models & see which one feels best to you -
sort of like buying a new sewing machine!

Pauline
Northern California

Old July 9th 11, 10:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

I love my Prius too.....but we use a Garmin Nuvi GPS, and wouldn't be
without it! When we were in Italy last month, we rented a car with a
GPS...so much better than me having a lapful of maps!!! It was set for
English AND kilometers.

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old July 10th 11, 12:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I think I still remember how but my dh would probably frown on the idea.
Probably a good think Ranger is not real.
I am glad they let you out occasionally. They are cautious with me. : )

Old July 10th 11, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I have a Garmin Nuvi that works well for me. I think it's easy to use
(but then I was a software engineer in previous life . It sometimes
takes what seem to be odd routes when we have it on going to places we
know & it did get it completely wrong going to Piggy Blue's in Austin,
MN, but overall it's pretty reliable. I don't mind using maps and
usually check mapquest before leaving for any place that I'm not
familiar with. However mapquest directions don't help much when you miss
a turn or run into a detour. That's when the GPS can be really helpful.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html
-----------

Old July 11th 11, 10:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 10/07/2011 21:43, Julia in MN wrote:
[...]

Beware of satnav error...

http://xo.typepad.com/blog/2007/11/truck-driver-st.html

http://xo.typepad.com/blog/2007/07/sat-nav-lorry-g.html

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

funny, funny knit site! myswendy Yarn 11 May 20th 07 02:18 AM
OT a funny! Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 3 November 8th 06 07:45 AM
Too funny! Mystified One Yarn 17 August 6th 06 06:33 PM
%%%%HOW TO BE FUNNY!%%%% Expert Humor Yarn 0 March 31st 06 04:07 PM
Funny, funny bead rules susiegibson Beads 6 October 21st 04 05:37 AM