OT this IS funny

Old July 8th 11, 05:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT this IS funny

I was thinking Mr. Esther and I would enjoy some sort of GPS system for our
little trips. So. I Googled: GPS system for seniors.
I got: a system for tracking seniors. Do they put a tracking chip
beneath the skin of the old folks like the vet does for family pets?
I reckon we are family pets but Really!
Can't decide whether to pursue that search or not. I would like to have
something in the car to alert us to locked-up traffic jams or when to get in
the turn lane. Don't want something so complicated that we can't figure it
out.
Maybe a chip to keep track of us is a good idea. Polly

Old July 8th 11, 09:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"Polly Esther"
I was thinking Mr. Esther and I would enjoy some sort of GPS system for our
little trips. So. I Googled: GPS system for seniors.
I got: a system for tracking seniors. Do they put a tracking chip
beneath the skin of the old folks like the vet does for family pets?
I reckon we are family pets but Really!
Can't decide whether to pursue that search or not. I would like to
have something in the car to alert us to locked-up traffic jams or when to
get in the turn lane. Don't want something so complicated that we can't
figure it out.
Maybe a chip to keep track of us is a good idea. Polly

Do you have a cell phone? If you do, are you aware that it might have the
GPS available on it? Ours is a Verizon and we can get GPS for just a day,
or permanently. I'm not up on all this and I would need to go to the
Verizon store to get it arranged and not just call them. Or I could just
ask my son!
Barbara in SC

Old July 8th 11, 11:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne[_2_]

On 8 Jul., 10:50, "Bobbie Sews More" wrote:
"Polly Esther"

[...]

When I got a new phone last summer I got a Nokia Smart Phone,
because they come with free maps. I've used it on roads (driving/
walking) in Denmark, England and various places in Eastern US. I
download the maps at home, and can use them abroad without the phone
being online or transmitting data on the phone net - so the useage is
free (unlike some phones that can only use maps online, which can get
very expensive without an all-inclusive data plan).

However, it does not (nor do any of the other phone navigation systems
as far as I know) do live traffic updates and such. For that you will
need a system meant for driving - they typically also have better lane
display and stuff like that.

My personal favourite make is Garmin, but many of my British friends
(rather Americans in the UK) swear by TomTom.

The senior tracking system uses bracelets, normally. They may give
people with dementia a more free life, knowing that they will be easy
to find if they do wander.

Hanne in DK
Old July 8th 11, 12:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH[_2_]

On Jul 8, 12:22*am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
I was thinking Mr. Esther and I would enjoy some sort of GPS system for our
little trips. *So. *I Googled: *GPS system for seniors.
* * I got: *a system for tracking seniors. *Do they put a tracking chip
beneath the skin of the old folks like the vet does for family pets?
* * I reckon we are family pets but Really!
* * Can't decide whether to pursue that search or not. *I would like to have
something in the car to alert us to locked-up traffic jams or when to get in
the turn lane. *Don't want something so complicated that we can't figure it
out.
* * Maybe a chip to keep track of us is a good idea. *Polly

I have a TOM TOM brand GPS and love it. It's very easy to use and has
only gotten me lost once in 5 years. For some strange reason, it sent
me to a field when it was supposed to be a quilt store. I told the
shop owner about the mistake and she said that everyone with a GPS
went to that field. Luckily it was less than a mile away from the
store.

My cell phone is an antique and doesn't have apps.

Denise in NH
Old July 8th 11, 12:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Polly, you are a delight!
I can recommend TomTom. Easy to use, easy to update by plugging into
the computer. The traffic function costs a bit extra. (It can also
spot speed traps :-) And you learn to think in distances (meters in my
case) when you use these things. Instead of what a human would say,
e.g. turn left right after the gas station or whatever, the gadget
tells you your left turn is coming up in 200 meters. Of course, you
can also see on the screen exactly how far you are from the
intersection. it tells you to keep left or keep right, but it does not
always know if there's a turn lane.
DD uses her smart phone to look up addresses. For example, she can ask
for fabric stores in the neighborhood, and a map pops up showing
everything it can find in the vicinity. then she picks one and enters
the address into the GPS to actually get her there.
Roberta in D

Old July 8th 11, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Jul 8, 12:22*am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
I was thinking Mr. Esther and I would enjoy some sort of GPS system for our
little trips. *So. *I Googled: *GPS system for seniors.
* * I got: *a system for tracking seniors. *Do they put a tracking chip
beneath the skin of the old folks like the vet does for family pets?
* * I reckon we are family pets but Really!
* * Can't decide whether to pursue that search or not. *I would like to have
something in the car to alert us to locked-up traffic jams or when to get in
the turn lane. *Don't want something so complicated that we can't figure it
out.
* * Maybe a chip to keep track of us is a good idea. *Polly

Polly, we, too, have the TomTom and would also highly recommend it.
The thing I like most about it is that when you miss a turn or
intentionally go a different way it doesn't shout 'recalculating' at
you! It just tells you what to do next as if you had followed it's
last instruction to the T. I think I paid about $175 for it 3-4 years
ago. That said, was just talking to SIL about this the other day.
They bought a Garmin a couple of years ago at BestBuy. Bought the
protection plan. The Garmin pooped out for whatever reason. The nice
little lady at the store no longer had the same model, so upgraded
them and they paid a nominal charge. That one pooped out. Another
trip to BestBuy and that model also was no longer available. They
ended up with one that had free lifetime map updates and traffic
alerts. The unit would have cost about $450 but they paid far less
(under $100 due to protection plans - including the new protection
plan). Don't know about traffic info on the TomTom - I think it's an
extra monthly charge. DH works 2 blocks from home and I'm not
currently working so traffic wasn't an issue for us. If I understood
DH correctly, we can get map 'updates' by downloading 'map
corrections'.

Magellan is another manufacturer but when I was doing research they
really didn't have much to offer for the $$. TomTom, at the time, had
the most features for the $$. If you look at those 3 brands that will
be more than enough to confuse even the most tech savvy person into
next year.

Good luck in your search.
Old July 8th 11, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Do you have traffic jams much in the swamp? I use auto club maps.
Everyone laughs when I pull one out but they always work for me.
Never out of batteries or giving wrong directions.

If you read the Stefanie Plum books you know that Ranger keeps
a tracking device on her cars. That way he can show up every time
one gets blown up. lol
The chips in the dogs here don't actually track them just id when they
are read. They don’t let me out enough to bother with tracking.
Taria

Old July 8th 11, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 23:22:34 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:

I was thinking Mr. Esther and I would enjoy some sort of GPS system for
our little trips. So. I Googled: GPS system for seniors.
I got: a system for tracking seniors. Do they put a tracking chip
beneath the skin of the old folks like the vet does for family pets?
I reckon we are family pets but Really! Can't decide whether to
pursue that search or not. I would like to have
something in the car to alert us to locked-up traffic jams or when to
get in the turn lane. Don't want something so complicated that we can't
figure it out.
Maybe a chip to keep track of us is a good idea. Polly

I haven't trusted the things since one told the driver to hang a right
while going through a tunnel underneath Chesapeake bay.
Just driving home last Sunday kiri's tried to insist that the best way
home was to go to Canada.
I suppose if you like an exciting life and can afford the gas they might
be fun. (G)

I like maps better than disembodied voices.

The police department keeps sending us info about chipping Ash.
Apparently you can chip people like a puppy, but what they most recommend
is that you get the ones that go in shoes.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old July 8th 11, 08:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy[_2_]

Like some of the others, we use maps (via AAA). But when you're on
the highway, look for signs posted along the road giving a radio
station to tune into for traffic reports (accidents/traffic jams/road
closures). It's helped us a few times and is current info.
Just my 2 cents worth.... cheaper than a Tom-Tom
ME-Judy

Old July 9th 11, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I may need tracking soon. Yesterday I called the awning store and asked
them to come replace the awnings on the west side of our home. If 'awning'
is not an around the world noun - it's just a sort of canvas bonnet/roof
over glass windows or doors to protect from fierce sun and rain.
The nice man there remembered our address, said he'd be by soon and
asked for our phone number.
I had no idea. I don't ever call me. Why would I do that?
Our Yorkie QI wears a tag with our phone number on it in case he escapes
so the finder can call us.
If I don't get a tracking device for seniors, maybe I at least need to
start wearing a tag. Would 18 karat gold be pretentious? Would 14 be
better? Polly

funny, funny knit site! myswendy Yarn 11 May 20th 07 02:18 AM
OT a funny! Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 3 November 8th 06 06:45 AM
Too funny! Mystified One Yarn 17 August 6th 06 06:33 PM
%%%%HOW TO BE FUNNY!%%%% Expert Humor Yarn 0 March 31st 06 04:07 PM
Funny, funny bead rules susiegibson Beads 6 October 21st 04 05:37 AM