Chain Saw Carving

Old August 25th 04, 05:54 AM
David Bennett

Default Chain Saw Carving

In an effort to generate more activity in this group besides spamming, how
about a discussion on chain saw carving. Has anyone here ever tried it? I
understand chain saws are quite dangerous in the wrong hands (isn't
everything?)
and certain kinds of bars are used for carving. I found it difficult to
locate any specific techniques or step-by-step projects on the Internet but
am hoping someone here may have some information. Particularly, protective
gear. What is best?
I have mountains of firewood in my yard and would like to try it. My
significant other has chain saw experience. We are going to try our hand at
a totem this weekend. I figure, if they don't turn out I can always use them
for the fireplace.
Thank you,
Bridget

Old August 26th 04, 04:41 PM
Joe Gorman

David Bennett wrote:

In an effort to generate more activity in this group besides spamming, how
about a discussion on chain saw carving. Has anyone here ever tried it? I
understand chain saws are quite dangerous in the wrong hands (isn't
everything?)
and certain kinds of bars are used for carving. I found it difficult to
locate any specific techniques or step-by-step projects on the Internet but
am hoping someone here may have some information. Particularly, protective
gear. What is best?
I have mountains of firewood in my yard and would like to try it. My
significant other has chain saw experience. We are going to try our hand at
a totem this weekend. I figure, if they don't turn out I can always use them
for the fireplace.
Thank you,
Bridget

Try http://baileys-online.com/ click on the Chainsaw carving link on the
right side of the page. I thought I had a few more links, but I must have
cleverly saved them so I wouldn't be able to recognise them by the name:-)
Joe
Old August 28th 04, 07:32 AM
George G

This may give anyone interested in chain carving, a start in
same-----------George
http://www.builditplans.com/Carving/howcarveeagle.htm

Old August 28th 04, 12:55 PM
Jack Casuso

Thank you George. Although I will probably never have the desire to chain
saw carve, I found this link to be very interesting and informative. It
takes a lot of courage to approach a log with a chain saw -- not only
because of personal harm but one slip can ruin hours of hard work and
creativity.

chain saw carving bar Minorite Carving 2 December 14th 03 12:47 PM
Basswood carving bubba Carving 1 October 6th 03 04:35 PM
Need good source for carving gloves Bill Houdek Carving 3 September 4th 03 04:21 PM
Daisy Chain Questions Maeven Beads 6 August 15th 03 04:17 AM
carving Joe Kennedy Carving 2 August 5th 03 06:33 PM