I'm Baaa-aack!

Old May 22nd 13, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ruth Plummer

Default I'm Baaa-aack!

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:40:03 AM UTC-7, Monica Ferris wrote:
After a long time away, I've decided to give RCTN another try. I write the Betsy Devonshire needlework mysteries - sixteen titles published! I'm feeling a little dry about the series, and am hoping to get refreshed hanging out here.

Delurking to answer this. I've missed the last few books so my suggestions may be off.

Have you ever expanded Jill's story? Why she became a police officer? Why her family was unhappy about it? Her sudden bouts of sadness? That was a theme that ran through the first few books but never went anywhere. Now that Jill is a ex-cop SAHM, maybe whatever that issue is could resurface. Maybe a sibling that disappeared when she was young, or a crime that affected child-Jill that is now resurfacing. You could even include Margo in flashbacks as this happened long before Betsy came in. Perhaps that was how Margo became such a good friend to such a reserved young woman. Is that what got the Monday group so close? This might be a good story line to wind up the series.

How about a stitching cruise mystery? Several days on the open ocean between Los Angeles and Hawaii, a crime committed and no police help at hand. Maybe someone disappeared and the ship's crew isn't investigating. Or a stitching cruise on one of the great rivers like the Mississippi? You'd have to take some cruises for research!

Or that unpleasant character that was the fabulous stitcher (Irene?)that began to make art work...what if she's become successful but is cheated? No one seems to like her but would she really have committed a revenge crime?

Did Jill and Betsy ever take that dude ranch trip? Is there a mystery somewhere there? At a local art gallery? Or something historical in the area? Or an issue with local development? Or how about an issue with some type of ranch-land conservancy? Would this be another research trip you'd have to make? ;-)

A designer that makes those all-over patterns, like Heaven and Earth Designs or Mystic Stitch, sells a pattern from a photo of an urban street scene that turns out to be a photo of a crime in progress or that destroys someone's alibi.

Both the ANG and the EGA are promoting fair appraisals of needlework. Betsy's shop hosts a professional appraiser or maybe Antique's Roadshow visits the area. An appraiser discovers the very high value of a cusomer's antique sampler. Unfortunately, that customer inherited the piece from her husband but the piece actually came from his divorced and now deceased first wife as a family heirloom. He didn't give it to his children from wife #1 as promised. His children from decesed wife #2 grew up with it and feel it belongs to them but again the father gave nothing to his kids. The law says his entire estate now belongs to wife #3. But strong family feelings and lots of money at stake lead to ugly behavior.

Does this help?

I really liked the series, especially the first few.

Ruth P.
Old May 23rd 13, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 5/22/2013 1:49 PM, wrote:

Ruth, I'm thinking you should write one lol

Yeah, Ruth, those are some really great plots!

--
Joan

See my pictures he
http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures