semi-OT Dry hands/skin/hair

Old October 3rd 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

Default semi-OT Dry hands/skin/hair

Some things to do for rough dry hands.

First, quit using Udder Cream, Silicone Glove, or any other "hand
lotion" containing silicone. Also stay away from lotions containing
alcohol of any type (often billed as an emollient, more often used to
keep wax fractionates "liquid" and dries your skin as it evaporates)
and any that contain mineral oil.

Second, make a scrub consisting of a tablespoon of coarse brown sugar
in a quarter cup of second-press (not XV) olive oil. Scrub your hands
daily with special attention to the fingertips. After a few days your
hands will be smooth as silk and ready to handle silk, too.

For regular washing ditch the synthetic detergents (find sodium or
potassium laurel sulfate on the label and it's synthetic detergent).
Switch to a soap product such as Ivory, Kirk's Castille, or a
sprouthead soap of your choice. If you prefer to use liquid soap you
can dilute Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soaps 50/50 with distilled
water and use it in your pumpers. It'll be thin but it works just
fine that way.

For all-around moisturizing use a lotion like Burt's Bees Milk and
Honey lotion; it's moderately priced, readily available, and doesn't
have any weird stuff in it

If you're up for making your own "lotion" you can mix second-press
olive oil with jojoba oil at a rate of 75/25. Massage by drops into
clean damp skin. If you're feeling really adventurous you can add
avocado oil, kukui nut oil, and all manner of other things available
from lotion-and-soapmaking suppliers. Essential oils will make your
"lotion" smell good, but moderation is the key!

I like a product I buy at the feed store called "HoofsAlive". It's a
lanolin-based salve with lots of other seed/nut oils added. I mix a
spoonful with a squirt of cortisone ointment, nuke it in an old glass
Carmex pot to melt, then stir it with a toothpick as it cools. My son
uses this on his poor chapped lips and they clear up pretty much
overnight. I use straight HA on my lips, nails/cuticles, horny heels
&c, it absorbs 100% in a short amount of time, smells good, and does
good things for me.

Hair:

First, wean yourself off of synthetic detergent-based shampoos. If
you currently shampoo every day start shampooing every other day. Get
off the silicone and/or dimethicone conditioner products, too.

Then start replacing the synthetic detergent shampoo with one based on
natural soap. If it has sodium laureTH sulfate on the label it'll be
OK. Some brands to check out are Nature's Gate, Aubrey Organics. OR,
use a shampoo soap bar such as the one from Burt's Bees (again, modest
price and ready availability), R. J. Liggett (my personal fave is the
herbal bar), or any number of other soap bars containing jojoba and
other enriching oils in addition to olive oil, coconut and palm/palm
kernel oils.

You may find that, eventually, unless you work out every day or live
without a/c during hte summer that you can go 3-4 days between hair
washings.

Oil your hair after every washing with a few drops of jojoba. Your
hair will love you, you will love the compliments. Obviously, the
more hair you have the more jojoba you'll need. I have moderately
fine, moderately thick, waist-length hair. I use 5-7 drops and work
it thoroughly into my DAMP hair after washing. It doesn't repair the
ravages of hyper- and hypothyroidism combined with an occasional
chemical coloring, but it sure does help hide the problems.

Use a vinegar-water rinse once a week. Add a drop of essential oil if
you don't want to smell like salad afterwards

If you're in a dry climate (northern winter, anyone?) or have
especially dry scalp or hair condition once a week with an olive oil +
jojoba hot pack: oil up your hair, twist it up and pin in place, wrap
in plastic, then a hot towel for 15 minutes. Shampoo using your
no-synthetic-detergents shampoo product.

Ok, enough for tonight.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old October 3rd 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

I've suffered skin problems all my life and my advice is to get someone
else to do your housework. My man does most of our cleaning - this
stops me coming into contact with strong detergents (and hard work). :
)

We also try to keep the use of strong detergents to a minimum - baking
soda and vinger make wonderful, cheap, non-toxic cleaners.

I use Lush products and they work well for me, they are made of natural
ingredients and smell fabulous.

Old October 3rd 06, 11:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Wooly wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tips....I get winter crud..my hands look like peeling paint
and I will try the Burts Bee products.

Donna

Old October 3rd 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On 2 Oct 2006 23:13:39 -0700, "Vintage Purls"
spewed forth :

I use Lush products and they work well for me, they are made of natural
ingredients and smell fabulous.

Eh, Most of Lush's stuff has SLS in it. The stuff isn't evil
incarnate, but any substance on which the material safety data sheet
recommends washing with SOAP to remove from skin gets my thumbs-down

I just happen to prefer soaps to the SLS/SLES stuff.

PS -- Does your husband do outcalls? hehehe

+++++++++++++

Old October 3rd 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aud

"Wooly" skrev i melding
Some things to do for rough dry hands.

First, quit using Udder Cream, Silicone Glove, or any other "hand
lotion" containing silicone. Also stay away from lotions containing
alcohol of any type (often billed as an emollient, more often used to
keep wax fractionates "liquid" and dries your skin as it evaporates)

Thank you,Wooly for many good advices!!!!
Often when you ladies speak here,
it is difficult to follow you,
because I do not know the products you speak about.
But now you speak about natural products,
like oils and brown sugar, I'm "in"!
I know some of your advices, my grandmother taught me (LOL!)
But some are new to me. But very sensible and obvious!
I will try some of them!
AUD ;-)

Old October 4th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Wooly,

Thanks for all this great info! One question though - what is the reasoning
(besides cost) of using second-press rather than extra virgin olive oil?
Just wondering because the ev stuff is all I have around right now!

Thanks,
LauraJ

Old October 4th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 14:26:16 GMT, "Laura J" spewed forth
:

Wooly,

Thanks for all this great info! One question though - what is the reasoning
(besides cost) of using second-press rather than extra virgin olive oil?
Just wondering because the ev stuff is all I have around right now!

Second press (sometimes labelled "virgin" or "cold press") is cheaper.
I keep the EV for salads, use second press for cooking and greasing up
my poor abused hide Second press is mechanically extracted from
the pulp/seeds after the EV is pressed so it doesn't contain any
solvent residue or "accidental" chemicals. Pomace is cheapest but
extracted chemically so is, in my mind, suspect for skincare and
cooking. I guess I'd use it as machine lubricant?