Help please.... My Singer 27K (old) has indigestion

Old January 31st 04, 03:42 PM
Kate Dicey

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

For serious professional sewing I use the Lily. Brilliant machine -
love it! But I will NEVER get rid of the old treadles! And I have a
Featherweight waiting for me... I hope!

You *DO*????? How exciting!!!!!! Or are you speaking figuratively?

I hope not! One was offered - free to good home, will be posted, must
USE! I accepted like a flash, and am just waiting for me new best
friend to post it on! She's in the throws of packing to move, and I
needed to recover from the gall bladder op... And at the moment I'm up
to me oxters in bridesmaids!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old February 1st 04, 08:26 AM
AmazeR

snip

The final straw
was the Janome rep at the NEC NOT letting me try the machine for myself,
pushing the embroidery machine (at twice my stated budget!), and then,
when she asked me what others I'd been looking at, walking off with a
short sharp sigh of impatience when I mentioned Bernina and Husqvarna!

Cor blimeys!! Sounds like a car salesman or a real estate salesman!!

I tried them in other shops around the country, floor demo models and
ones out of the box, and they were all very disappointing. The Berninas
and Husqvarnas were all lovely. In the end I chose my Lily because it
felt like it had been tailor made for my fingers! The Bernina rep at
the show said he thought I'd choose one or the other on final fit, and
he was right. ALL the reps except the Janome rep were more than happy
for me to look at their machines, play with them, and talk to them, an
none tried to push a sale except her! The rest all thought I'd do very
well to buy locally. The Janome rep was pushing for me to buy then and
there.

If one is expecting to spend a small fortune on a machine, then one should
be able to play etc to ones hearts content.. The Janome rep was killing
her own business.. silly woman!

The friend who bought the dozen lower end ones (one or two up from the
bottom) thought they were the best machines in her price bracket,
despite having bought the Bernina embroidery machine two years earlier
because her experience with Janomes was much like my own! I'm glad
people do find good Janomes: for the price, they SHOULD be good! I just
have yet to find one I'd give house room to!

Can't say I have ever tried a Janome.. but I know what you mean about the
plasticiness of some machines.. Appalling!

Mavis

Old February 1st 04, 05:13 PM
Kate Dicey

AmazeR wrote:

Can't say I have ever tried a Janome.. but I know what you mean about the
plasticiness of some machines.. Appalling!

Mavis

I had much the same tactile experience with Brother machines: if I
wanted something in that budget to mid price bracket, I'd be looking for
a Husky Star or a Toyota, both of which seem to be much sturdier for the
price. As it is, I'll stick with the Lily and my growing collection of
pre '64 Singers! Silver Viscount also look good for the money in the
lower to mid range. My old Viscount (about 12 stitches, bought second
hand after the Cub died) is a great machine, and has retired to live
with my mother. It's available should I ever need to borrow it back.
Stupid thing is, I gave Ma all the bobbins i had for it, and it, like
the older Berninas, uses the type 15 bobbin... Now I have the singer
15-88, I had to buy a new collection of those bobbins! AAARRGH!

It's funny how these things take you: the friend who bought the
sooper-dooper Bernina bought the Huskylock 935... My machine man's
daughter bought the Designer I, but preferred the Bernina serger!
Old February 1st 04, 08:39 PM
Pogonip

Kate Dicey wrote:

I had much the same tactile experience with Brother machines: if I
wanted something in that budget to mid price bracket, I'd be looking for
a Husky Star or a Toyota, both of which seem to be much sturdier for the
price. As it is, I'll stick with the Lily and my growing collection of
pre '64 Singers! Silver Viscount also look good for the money in the
lower to mid range. My old Viscount (about 12 stitches, bought second
hand after the Cub died) is a great machine, and has retired to live
with my mother. It's available should I ever need to borrow it back.
Stupid thing is, I gave Ma all the bobbins i had for it, and it, like
the older Berninas, uses the type 15 bobbin... Now I have the singer
15-88, I had to buy a new collection of those bobbins! AAARRGH!

Look for old 15 type bobbins in charity shops and boot
sales. Some old machines hate the plastic bobbins, and
the new metal ones are made differently. Some old
machines will tolerate them, others will not. But
generally, the price is better for the old ones, too. At
times the new metal ones can be made to work, with a bit
of filing and sanding, but who wants to put that kind of
work in on a bobbin?
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
Life is about the journey, not about the destination.

Old February 1st 04, 10:26 PM
AmazeR

Look for old 15 type bobbins in charity shops and boot
sales. Some old machines hate the plastic bobbins, and
the new metal ones are made differently. Some old
machines will tolerate them, others will not. But
generally, the price is better for the old ones, too. At
times the new metal ones can be made to work, with a bit
of filing and sanding, but who wants to put that kind of
work in on a bobbin?

You are right there! No one I know would even consider going to that much
trouble to get a bobbin working!!

I must remember to tell my mother not to throw any out - LOL. What am I
saying? She never throws anything out!

Mavis