Thread and toggle frustration

Old June 8th 04, 02:49 AM
Gemfyre

Default Thread and toggle frustration

I'm used to making stuff with tigertail and crimps. Pretty easy.

At the moment however I'm trying to make a 3 stranded bracelet on beading
thread with a toggle clasp.

I tell you what I am about to give up - it looks like I'm gonna hafta
restring the entire thing.

I did the first strand and the knots were messy and not big enough (the
knots slid right through the beads) and on the other end it was even more of
a mess. And then I'm not sure what happened but the length of thread between
the toggle and last bead kept growing until it was about 1.5cm of just
thread between the last bead and the toggle.

And the second strand! Well I got to the end of it and went to tie it to the
other end of the toggle and the OTHER end decided to undo itself! I don't
have enough thread to retie it easily so I'll have to start again.

I think I've used about 2 metres of beading thread so far and have no actual
pieces to show for it.

Any tips on how to do this so it all stays snug and neat? I'm using a
homemade needle which looks very similar to the ones I've seen in stores
that cost $4 a pop. I find it awkward to stop the thread from falling out of
the needle and the needle bends, but that's useful in a way because I can
maneuver it.

*sigh* I REALLY want to make this bracelet because it will look awesome when
properly done. It's just doing it properly that's the problem.

--
Check out my handmade jewellery that I have for sale.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~daycare...jewelsale.html

---

Old June 8th 04, 03:10 AM
roxan

What kind of beading thread are you using? I would not tie them off until
you get all of them finished them take all three threads and tie them off
together. Better yet use SoftFlex wire and put them through a crimp and
finish them off.
Roxan
. au...

Old June 8th 04, 03:25 AM
Gemfyre

Using Nymo thread.
Wire and crimps would give a really messy look I'd think, I'm trying for an
antique kinda look.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~daycare...tiquepearl.jpg - the
was the first strand. I want to add two more to it. It's all taken apart
at the moment though, hafta start again.

Gemfyre

"roxan" wrote in message
What kind of beading thread are you using? I would not tie them off until
you get all of them finished them take all three threads and tie them off
together. Better yet use SoftFlex wire and put them through a crimp and
finish them off.
Roxan
. au...

Old June 8th 04, 04:35 AM
Candace

Would a clamshell tip be an option? You take all three threads, tie them
around the tiniest crimp or seed bead you can get them to all go thru, and glue
that sucker into the clamshell. Close it up, and Voila...finished.

I've never used beading wire for anything,(couldn't afford it) so figuring out
how to secure my pieces has been one of my personal challenges.

~Candace~
Orphan Beads Low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Old June 8th 04, 06:41 AM
Dr. Sooz

Try clamshells.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old June 8th 04, 03:35 PM
Gemfyre

I've never heard of or seen Fireline in Australia.
Seems like pretty good stuff, everyone here seems to rave about it.

Gemfyre

"roxan" wrote in message
What kind of beading thread are you using? I would not tie them off

until
you get all of them finished them take all three threads and tie them

off
together. Better yet use SoftFlex wire and put them through a crimp

and
finish them off.
Roxan
. au...

Old June 8th 04, 03:37 PM
Armand Vine

clamshells are the answer.
attach clamshell firs to one end and it becomes a stopper and a good
attachment to the toggle.
Just finished 4 pieces this way using nymo thread.
Armand Vine
www.dvinedzines.com

Old June 8th 04, 06:30 PM
roxan

You will love it if you can get a hold of some. It is fishing line but not
just any fishing line. Here is the site for Cabelas which may ship to
Australia. Look on the lower left hand side and you will see FireLine. I use
6 pound test line which is very strong and easy to work with.
Roxan
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...y.jhtml?id=cat
600395&navAction=jump&navCount=0&parentId=cat20166 &parentType=category&rid=&
_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fcatego ry-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainC
atcat20166
. au...

"roxan" wrote in message
What kind of beading thread are you using? I would not tie them off

until
you get all of them finished them take all three threads and tie

them
off
together. Better yet use SoftFlex wire and put them through a crimp

and
finish them off.
Roxan
. au...

Old June 8th 04, 11:50 PM
Gemfyre

Just Googled for it.
You can get it in Australia but crikey, that stuff is EXPENSIVE!!

I'll stick with my tigertail and Nymo for now.

Gemfyre

"roxan" wrote in message
You will love it if you can get a hold of some. It is fishing line but not
just any fishing line. Here is the site for Cabelas which may ship to
Australia. Look on the lower left hand side and you will see FireLine. I

use
6 pound test line which is very strong and easy to work with.
Roxan

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...y.jhtml?id=cat

600395&navAction=jump&navCount=0&parentId=cat20166 &parentType=category&rid=&

_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fcatego ry-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainC
atcat20166
. au...

"roxan" wrote in message
What kind of beading thread are you using? I would not tie them

off
until
you get all of them finished them take all three threads and tie

them
off
together. Better yet use SoftFlex wire and put them through a

crimp
and
finish them off.
Roxan