Your three favorite polymer clay artists?

Old March 3rd 05, 10:55 AM
mermaidscove_com

Default Your three favorite polymer clay artists?

Who are your three favorite polymer clay artists? It's ok to vote for
yourself ;-). I took a long break from clay and I guess my favorites
are maybe considered old hat but I doubt I'll ever replace them- Tory
Hughes and Karen Lewis. There's a lot of contenders for third, this
week it's Jill Newman.

Ingrid
http://www.mermaidscove.com

Old March 3rd 05, 01:17 PM
Diana Curtis

I go along with your selection of Jill, her work moves me, so does Katherine
Dewey's, and Sarajane Helm's work rocks! If I could pick a fourth then I
would pick me. I like what I do.
Diana, Uber Enabler

--
I know all the answers, it's the questions I have problems with

oups.com...

Old March 3rd 05, 05:09 PM
Polly S.

mermaidscove_com wrote:
Who are your three favorite polymer clay artists? It's ok to vote for
yourself ;-). I took a long break from clay and I guess my favorites
are maybe considered old hat but I doubt I'll ever replace them- Tory
Hughes and Karen Lewis. There's a lot of contenders for third, this
week it's Jill Newman.

Ingrid
http://www.mermaidscove.com

I haven't been around 'clay' very long but from what I have managed to
see so far I would have to say I love the total originality of
Sarajane's work and the light hearted humor of Christi Friesen's
(cforiginals.net) pieces!!!

I think I like Sarajanes work because it has a style that comes across
as disciplined but isn't pretentious... also the feeling that it could
be any medium and just happens to be clay.

Christi Friesen's work, on the other hand, just seems unable to take
itself seriously. Even her darker hearts manage to be whimsical and some
of the odd faces seem way too familiar!!!

I can't even say I like what I am doing yet... a style of my own might
someday emerge but, dang, its hard to settle down to a making a few
things well when the ideas are endless!!! I seem to have started a dozen
different things and finished two!!! =)

Polly

Old March 3rd 05, 05:57 PM

My number one favorite is easy. Christi Friesen. And not just because
she's a personal friend. Her work is simply the most unique, beautiful,
inspiring I've ever seen. And I get to pick up and look at her pieces
(and try not to drool on them!) Kathleen Dustin is also a favorite
because of her images on clay techniques that many of us have taken our
own spin on, including Jill Newman. Although I wouldn't necessarily
call Klew a favorite, I owe a lot to her because it was she who first
introduced me to the clay, and from her I learned to sand and buff
beads better than just about anyone except her! And yes, I like my own
work too! If I didn't what would be the point?

Cheryl

Old March 3rd 05, 06:45 PM
Sarajane Helm

Aw!!!! Thank you Polly, and Diana too. Polly, thats a great description of
my work---I like it!

My own 3 faves are awfully hard to narrow down.....but if we say instead
"whose work would you love to have that you don't already own...." then I'd
have to say Kathy Dewey, Jaqueline Lee and Laura Balombino.

"Polly S."

Old March 3rd 05, 07:59 PM
Polly S.

Sarajane Helm wrote:
Aw!!!! Thank you Polly, and Diana too. Polly, thats a great description of
my work---I like it!

My own 3 faves are awfully hard to narrow down.....but if we say instead
"whose work would you love to have that you don't already own...." then I'd
have to say Kathy Dewey, Jaqueline Lee and Laura Balombino.

ahhh Three more to search for and 'research'! =)

Polly

Old March 3rd 05, 08:21 PM
Diana Curtis

I like Polly's description of your work too.
Im a little dissappointed I didnt make your list yet, SJ. Im working on it!
;-)
Diana

Old March 3rd 05, 09:06 PM
Sarajane Helm

Well, like I said, Diana---I changed it to the three who have works I most
covet----and I've wanted several Kathy Dewey sculptures for a LONG
time!!!!!! She has the most beautifully lifelike and yet fey creatures.