TIDBITS 09/21/03

Old September 22nd 03, 12:41 AM
Benjamin Mark

Default TIDBITS 09/21/03

If any of you want Tidbits emailed directly, let me know and
I'll take care of it. Additionally, if you have friends who you
think would enjoy Tidbits, please make them aware of us...and
help me increase my circulation. URL (http://www.tyler-adam.com)

======================================

If you're interested in marketing on the Internet, you
need to listen to The Web Doctor(sm) on Sunday evenings
7pm Central on KOMA AM-1520 or see the show live at
http://www.thwebdoc.net. Call in and ask questions or have
your site reviewed on the air.

=======================================

Scorpion Jewelry

Quick note: Below are alternate versions (not mine) I have come
across of mythological tales. They suit this article so I use them.
For those avid readers of Bullfinch or Graves or Hamilton or others
.... forgive these trespasses.

Tiamat ... the gigantic Babylonian Dragon representing Chaos and salt
water and whose sons were the Scorpion Men--giant warriors who were
men from the waist up but scorpions from the waist down and who fought
with both their tails and with bows and arrows in order to protect the
sun god Shamach ... unites with Apsu--she who represents sweet
water--so that she may ultimately give birth to Gods and to Existence.

Egyptian born Selket--daughter of Ra--is associated with the Scorpion.
The beastie graces her crown and may therefor well be the first piece
of significant Scorpion jewelry ever made.

Isis gives birth. She names her son Horus. She wants him to grow up
strong. She does what any mother in her right mind would do. She takes
him to the desert and exposes him repeatedly to scorpion stings.
Quaint ... wouldn't you think? Was it Nietzche who said: What doesn't
kill you makes you stronger?

A saint is bathing in a river. A scorpion is struggling near him ...
fighting the current for its life. The saint ... as saints are wont to
do ... cups his hand under the scorpion and lifts him out of the water
and begins to wend his way toward shore. The scorpion stings him ...
and stings him again ... and stings him again. The saint is smiling.
Once on shore ... the scorpion scurries off and the saint's
disciples--watching the saint in pain while still smiling --question
him as to why he bothered to save the life of such a wretched
creature. Ah, said the saint. The scorpion is only following his
nature which is to sting ... as I am following the nature of a saint
.... which is to save its life. Everything is in its proper place.

As I review this last little ditty which exemplifies Dharma (nature)
.... I wonder in which way this ties in with jewelry? After all ... the
first few mythological snippets easily explain why a brooch ... or
earrings ... or rings or pendants or bracelets ... would be made
representing that venomous cousin to the spider. But a tale of a
stinging creature ... filled with malevolent poisons ... should we
make jewelry of that? The answer my friends is: Yes. Of course? Why
not? Nothing is immune in the hands of the jeweler. An ant
.... a snake ... a scorpion ... a dung beetle ... they're all fodder
for the artist of note.

For those of you who are new to this thing called Tidbits...may I
direct you to my home page at www.tyler-adam.com where you will scroll
down the left side menu till you get to the area that says Tidbits
Graphics ... and then click on the link that says: Scorpion ... where
you'll see an image of said beastie in tri-colored gold.

And there ya have it.
That's it for this week folks.
Catch you all next week.
Benjamin Mark

All issues of Tidbits are copyrighted and available from our home
page. All rights reserved.

SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE E-MAIL NEWSLETTER: TIDBITS
Available From Our Home Page At:
http://www.tyler-adam.com
Any Day-Gifts Galore-Visit Tyler-Adam Corp.
--Browse the vast resources of TAC-Bourse--
--Our Diamond Search Engine--
TYLER-ADAM CORP.--Jewelry Manufacturers
Tel: 1-800-20-TYLER
E-Mail to:

TIDBITS 10/24/04 Benjamin Mark Jewelry 0 October 24th 04 11:59 PM
TIDBITS 10/24/04 Benjamin Mark Beads 0 October 24th 04 09:27 PM
TIDBITS 09/21/03 Benjamin Mark Jewelry 0 September 22nd 03 05:52 AM
TIDBITS 09/21/03 Benjamin Mark Beads 0 September 22nd 03 12:40 AM
TIDBITS 07/13/03 Benjamin Mark Jewelry 2 July 21st 03 05:22 AM